UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Thomas gets cheated @ Bellator

4/15/10 9:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
rsiuc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ryan Thomas & Ben Askren were in the midst of a great fight at Bellator 14 when the referee made the worst call that I have seen in MMA. He prematurely stopped the fight to "technical submission". I have never heard of such a call, Thomas never tapped and was fully conscious. The referee cheated the Ryan Thomas, Ben Askren, & the fans. Neither Thomas nor Askren were happy with the premature stoppage. If Bellator wants to do the right thing, they should have an immediate rematch.
4/15/10 9:57 PM
bongwater7654
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the worst part about it was his hand wasn't even around his neck it was on the side of his face 
4/15/10 9:59 PM
rsiuc

There needs to be more ground training for these boxing referees or they are going to continue hurting the MMA community.
4/15/10 10:01 PM
BKViper
442 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And you needed to start a new post after replying to the original, why?

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=1626712&forum=1&page=1&pc=11 
4/15/10 10:03 PM
rsiuc

It is just difficult to see someone with the dedication of Thomas get screwed by a horrible referee at the start of a great fight.
4/15/10 10:16 PM
Rand McPherson
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks for the spoilers.
4/15/10 10:18 PM
Ensanity
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bongwater7654 - the worst part about it was his hand wasn't even around his neck it was on the side of his face 

that sounds FUCKED UP and the ref doesnt know grappling
4/15/10 10:30 PM
Corey
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rand McPherson - thanks for the spoilers.

Yeah nice job.
4/15/10 10:35 PM
madmav
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

did the ref count to three?!!
4/15/10 10:39 PM
Sk1tzO420

I thought Thomas was gonna crack that mother fucker in the face. If it was me it would be worth it.
4/15/10 10:53 PM
rsiuc

I really do apologize. I feel like a jerk now.

The announcer said that the show was live on FSN. I even talked to a friend who watched it live. I guess that I will save you from getting pissed off, at least.
4/15/10 11:52 PM
jayu
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

anyone remember the refs name?
4/15/10 11:55 PM
Rand McPherson
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rsiuc - I really do apologize. I feel like a jerk now.

The announcer said that the show was live on FSN. I even talked to a friend who watched it live. I guess that I will save you from getting pissed off, at least.

Accepted.

Put SPOILER and don't put results in future threads. like askren vs thomas was f'd (SPOILER).

thanx.
4/15/10 11:58 PM
MMA_KNOWLEDGE

Take your mouth piece when interviewed
4/16/10 1:38 AM
TheThrill
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

totally fucked
4/16/10 1:42 AM
sside maurice
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rsiuc - There needs to be more ground training for these boxing referees or they are going to continue hurting the MMA community.

This. I was at the show with a friend who is a pro boxer. Even before the fight started, he said: "That guy is a boxing ref. What's he doing in there?"
4/16/10 2:30 AM
RKing85
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sorry, but you have never heard of a technical submission before?

Yes it was a horrible stoppage, but if you have never heard of a technical submission before you need to watch more mma. They are fairly common.
4/16/10 3:08 AM
Brian McLaughlin
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was the worst stoppage I've ever seen.  The triangle Thomas put on Askren was tighter....disgraceful
4/16/10 4:15 AM
CompanyBlue

Brian McLaughlin -  That was the worst stoppage I've ever seen.  The triangle Thomas put on Askren was tighter....disgraceful

thats a good point, it looked like Askren was fucked. Even with the ref fucking that up, I thought the card was very good. Wilson Reis was amazing, Imada fight was good with some great ground fighting, and Curran knocked that dudes head back to Canada.
4/16/10 5:54 AM
rsiuc

Edited: 04/16/10 12:01 PM
I have heard of technical submission, but I was under the impression that everyone had seen the fight. I just didn't understand how the ref could make such call in that fight.

Actually, I am really impressed with the way Bellator handled the situation. I hung out with Ryan after the fight and from what he said, the organization handled the situation the best that they could.
4/16/10 5:58 AM
rsiuc

Rand McPherson - 
rsiuc - I really do apologize. I feel like a jerk now.

Accepted.

Put SPOILER and don't put results in future threads. like askren vs thomas was f'd (SPOILER).

thanx.

Will do!

With that cleared, what was your opinion of the call?
4/16/10 6:15 AM
robnashville
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i thought it was a bit of a bullshit decision at first as well but when i saw the replay.... askren was really torqueing that thing.... shades of that choke that Dan Miller did in the IFL... Thomas' ear looked like it was touching his chest.... i think the ref was reacting more to the choke visually, as opposed to it being super effective at cutting off the air or blood
4/16/10 6:55 AM
frontrowbrian

Thomas' left leg went limp at the same time he closed his eyes.
4/16/10 7:03 AM
caposa
1592 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4/16/10 7:41 AM
Kai Tremeche

Good stoppage.

If someone wants to be an idiot and fake falling unconscious, they deserve to lose.

Watch the top gif:

Anyone would have made that stoppage.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.