UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Prayer is mostly wasteful.

4/17/10 8:54 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jack Carter
577 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

More often then not, people pray for things that they have control over. Much of their health, happiness, finances, inner strength, etc.

If God exists, I would fully expect him to basically ignore these prayers.

Prayers should be reserved to things 100% outside of one's control where ONLY something divine could bring to fruition. I know Christians who pray for every little thing that provides a challenge in life & I can only imagine that if God exists, he would basically never answer ANY prayers from such people who abuse prayer even if there is a valid one shoved in there.
4/17/10 10:31 AM
Robert Wynne
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

interesting.....of course many do not pray or believe in prayer the same way Christians do, and some peoples success with prayer might astonish you.
4/17/10 2:32 PM
Ridgeback
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Orthodoxy we try not to tell God how to run the world.  Mostly prayer is about being in the presence of God and communing with him, not going over a laundry list of needs.  A prayer life marked only by petitionary prayer isn't wrong per se, but it is immature.  The saints see more and more answer to prayer because they are becoming the kinds of people who want the will of God to prevail rather than their own wills.

The people you describe may have religious addiction, which is basically using religion for a fix or a high.  This is very unhealthy and has nothing to do with authentic spirituality.  If you can picture them smoking a cigarette instead of praying then they are engaging in addictive behavior.  
4/17/10 3:05 PM
zealot66
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CS Lewis said, prayer doesnt change God, it changes us.
4/17/10 5:45 PM
Jack Carter
577 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The people you describe may have religious addiction, which is basically using religion for a fix or a high.

I think this is the case. I'm referring to someone in my life who whenever i bring up any problem in my life she responds with "I'll pray for that" so the problem will end. I know a lot of people like this & it baffles me how they don't see how they're "abusing" prayer.
4/18/10 4:36 AM
Ridgeback
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jack Carter - 
The people you describe may have religious addiction, which is basically using religion for a fix or a high.

I think this is the case. I'm referring to someone in my life who whenever i bring up any problem in my life she responds with "I'll pray for that" so the problem will end. I know a lot of people like this & it baffles me how they don't see how they're "abusing" prayer.

I've known a few of those people myself.  
4/18/10 9:07 AM
Robert Wynne
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jack Carter - 

agreed..sad that they are so ignorant.

4/19/10 3:41 AM
Juijitsuboxer
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is sad that because people have a different opinion on what the Christian scriptures say about prayer and how and what we should ask for, you call them ignorant. Maybe you guys are the ones that are wrong and ignorant? Who knows? How about you talk to people who have had prayer work in their life....
4/19/10 3:43 AM
Juijitsuboxer
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Philippians 4:6 (NKJV) – "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be known to God."

Luke 11:9-10 (NKJV) – "So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened."

Colossians 4:2 (NKJV) – "Continue earnestly in prayer, being vigilant in it with thanksgiving."

Deuteronomy 4:7 (NKJV) – "For what great nation is there that has God so near to it, as the Lord our God is to us, for whatever reason we may call upon Him?"

James 4:8 (NKJV) – "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you."

Hebrews 4:16 (NKJV) – "Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need."
Psalm 145:18 (NKJV) – "The Lord is near to all who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him in truth."

Luke 22:40 (NKJV) – "When He (Jesus) came to the place, He said to them, 'Pray that you may not enter into temptation.'"

4/19/10 3:45 AM
Juijitsuboxer

Jack Carter - 

It is sad that you do not want someone to pray for you, I wonder if you would have told Paul to not pray for you:

Romans 1:9 "... without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers."

2 Corinthians 12:8

Ephesians 1:16 "Cease not ... making mention of you in my prayers."

Philippians 1:3, 4 "Always in every prayer of mine for you all making request with joy."

Colossians 1:9 "... since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you ..."

Philemon 4 "... making mention of thee always in my prayers."

2 Timothy 1:3 "...without ceasing I have remembrance of thee in my prayers night and day."
4/19/10 3:46 AM
Juijitsuboxer

Acts 2:42 "And they continued steadfastly ... in prayers."

Acts 1:14 "These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication ..."

Acts 12:5, 12 "... but prayer was made without ceasing of the church unto God for him."

2 Corinthians 1:11 "Ye also helping together by prayer for us ..."
4/19/10 3:46 AM
Juijitsuboxer

Luke 18:1 "... men ought always to pray, and not to faint."

Luke 21:36 "Watch ye therefore, and pray always ..."

Acts 6:4 "But we will give ourselves continually to prayer ..."

Acts 12:5

Ephesians 6:18, 19 "Praying always ..."

Colossians 1:3 "... praying always for you."

Colossians 4:2 "Continue in prayer, and watch ..."

1 Thessalonians 1:2 "always"

1 Thessalonians 5:17 "without ceasing"

2 Timothy 1:3 "... without ceasing ..."
4/19/10 3:48 AM
Juijitsuboxer

Who should we pray for??

For whom and for what should we pray?

Scripture says we should pray "for all men " (1 Timothy 2:1), for anything (Philippians 4:6).

A. For those in spiritual leadership.

2 Corinthians 1:11
1 Thessalonians 5:25
Hebrews 13:17-18a

1. For boldness to speak the truth.

Ephesians 6:19, 20

2. For their divine protection.

Acts 12:5
2 Thessalonians 3:1-2

3. For an open door of ministry.

Romans 15:30-32
Colossians 4:3
2 Thessalonians 3:1-2

B. For fellow-believers.

Romans 1:9
Ephesians 6:18

1. For their healing.

Acts 28:8
James 5:16

2. For their spiritual development and maturity.

Ephesians 3:14-16
Colossians 4:12
1 Thessalonians 3:10-13
2 Thessalonians 1:11
1 Peter 5:10

3. For unity.

John 17:9, 11, 20-22

4. For divine protection, spiritual strength, and victory over the enemy.

Luke 22:31-32
John 17:15

C. For ourselves.

1 Chronicles 4:10 "And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying,
Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that
thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil,
that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested."
Psalms 106:4, 5
Hebrews 5:7

1. For material needs.

Matthew 6:11
Proverbs 30:7, 8

2. For guidance.

Psalms 27:11; 31:3
Jeremiah 33:3
Daniel 2:17-19
Colossians 1:9, 10
James 1:5

3. For victory over temptation.

Matthew 6:13
Luke 22:40

4. For wisdom.

1 Kings 3:5-12
Proverbs 2:3
James 1:5

5. For forgiveness of sin.

Numbers 5:6, 7
1 Kings 8:47-50
Ezra 9:15; 10:1
Psalms 25:11; 32:5; 51:1
Daniel 9:4-5, 20
Matthew 6:12
Luke 11:4; 18:13
Acts 8:22

6. For physical healing.

1 Samuel 1:5, 10-20
1 Kings 13:4-6
2 Kings 20:1-6 (Isaiah 38:1-5; 2 Chronicles 32:24)
Psalms 30:2
James 5:14
Matthew 8:2-3 (Mark 1:40-43; Luke 5:12, 13)

D. For temporal rulers.

1 Timothy 2:1-3

E. For the unsaved, whether an individual, a city (Psalms 122:6; Jeremiah
29:7; Daniel 9:3, 16-19), or a nation (Romans 10:1); that God will send
laborers into the harvest (Matthew 9:38).

F. For our enemies.

Matthew 5:44
Luke 6:28; 23:34
Acts 7:59-60
4/19/10 3:49 AM
Juijitsuboxer

1 Chronicles 4:10 "And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested."
4/19/10 3:51 AM
Jack Carter

Edited: 04/19/10 3:51 AM
It is sad that you do not want someone to pray for you

This is another issue. If you think that people can't show they care without prayer, then that's on you.

Romans 1:9 "... without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers."

Prayers that are backed by volume are lacking in faith
4/19/10 3:52 AM
Jack Carter

Dunno why you're copy/pasting bible verses.

Is that supposed to mean something to a thinking man?
4/19/10 8:06 AM
Robert Wynne

Juijitsuboxer - It is sad that because people have a different opinion on what the Christian scriptures say about prayer and how and what we should ask for, you call them ignorant. Maybe you guys are the ones that are wrong and ignorant? Who knows? How about you talk to people who have had prayer work in their life....
SHUT UP!  first off, he is talking to people who have prayer working in their life's.

second your psychologically twisted form of communicating with all these copy and paste threads, shows yourself to be an uneducated, unintelligent person...stop it...talk like you have a pair hanging or shut up!

everytime someone comes here and wants to seriously talk religion, one of you mudname dipshits run them off...you can't even spell JuJitsu correctly....why would anyone of intelligence and position listen to an obvious dipshit like you????

4/19/10 8:26 AM
Robert Wynne

Jack.....

please don't let that nonsense bother you....there are a few trolls on the H.G.

A. to get stuff?
B.to connect with the source?
C.to find wisdom?
4/19/10 2:29 PM
jimmy23
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

B and C seem to work best for me, A works but not like I think it should 
4/19/10 3:39 PM
770mdm
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.chabad.org/676161

4/20/10 6:02 AM
Juijitsuboxer

:-)
4/20/10 4:01 PM
Robert Wynne

jimmy23 - B and C seem to work best for me, A works but not like I think it should 

a doesn't work for anyone the way they want it too..:)

guess he left,,,wishhewasaboxer strikes again.:(
4/20/10 8:20 PM
jimmy23
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

" a doesn't work for anyone the way they want it too..:)"

yea, I know :) 
4/21/10 12:38 AM
toelocku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pay no attn. to those verses...its only God talkin.
4/23/10 6:27 AM
Juijitsuboxer

What are your religious beliefs and why do you pray?

I pray because the Bible tells me to. I pray for what the Bible tells me to, and i pray like the Bible shows me to.

Why do you pray?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.