UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> Cloud computing

4/19/10 3:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
tycoon
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The CTO of a cloud computing provider suggested to our CIO to consider cloud computing, which would mean we don't really need internal staff anymore.

http://www.linksourcecom.com/cloud-computing.html?s=service-providers

What are your guys' thoughts?

4/20/10 10:32 AM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cloud computing is the latest buzzword, but you need to talk specifics.

Are you ok with your customer data being available over the internet? Are you ok with your internal e-mail being available over the internet? Are you ok with your company's support being limited to calling a provider who is running servers/apps for 1000 other customers and you're just number 20 in the queue.

The upsides or promise of cloud computing is that you don't own or maintain equipment. The downsides are that you don't own or maintain equipment.

I would say host non-critical stuff with a "cloud" provider, sure. Give it a trial run. At this point in the game there is no way in hell I'd host business critical data.
4/20/10 6:49 PM
tycoon
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

how much does something like this typically cost per month, let's say for your typical company with 20-30 servers?
4/21/10 4:27 PM
JBALL
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We just deployed Microsoft Exchange Online. Their sales staff are a bunch of fuckin liars! It brought our internet to its knees and support is the worst I've ever seen. If we want our email back...tough shit...

It's been the worst deployment I've ever done!!!! Stay away...
4/21/10 5:17 PM
humphrey sphinctermuscle
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

first off, cloud computing has not a thing to do with your internet bandwidth capability.

but second, it's common for that kind of thing happening when you're talking about moving an entire business's mailboxes to a remote location. but it's a one time issue.

as for price, it's not possible to guess without better/more info. you pay for cycles on clouds, not bandwidth. so there's way too many variables without any more info than 'typical'
4/21/10 8:21 PM
tycoon

tell us your experience JBALL. how much did it cost to outsource the Exchange server? What do you mean by brought your Internet to your knees?
4/23/10 1:24 AM
JBALL
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

humphrey sphinctermuscle - first off, cloud computing has not a thing to do with your internet bandwidth capability.

but second, it's common for that kind of thing happening when you're talking about moving an entire business's mailboxes to a remote location. but it's a one time issue.

as for price, it's not possible to guess without better/more info. you pay for cycles on clouds, not bandwidth. so there's way too many variables without any more info than 'typical'
Every Outlook client we have points to red001.mail.microsoftonline.com. How does that not have a thing to do with my bandwidth?  We were about 40% capacity of our 4.5mb/s pipe before we deployed MS Online. Once we brought 150 users onto it we were saturated at over 90%. We implemented a 10mb/s ethernet circuit and now we're back down to 40%. 

We are paying Microsoft 5 dollars per month for a mailbox. Each user gets a 5gb mailbox. Im not sure what we're paying per blackberry but the microsoft cocksuckers are changing the numbers on us right now so we're trying to get it squared away. 

Our experience hasnt been very good. The microsoft support doesnt know anything more than connectivity. Security questions about Spam and Junkmail, partculars about deployment problems, etc have all been nightmares. We've had to give up on them and solve it ourselves many times.  There are so many moving parts such as SMTP, legal notifications, password restrictions, public folders, shared mailboxes/calendars, sharepoint, etc that you have to consider. This has not been a fun deployment for me.

4/23/10 11:25 AM
theseanster
291 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the current trend is going to be to outsource infrastructure-related functions, so this is not just buzzwords. Quite frankly I would do the same thing.
5/10/10 3:45 AM
usurper
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

also by outsourcing to a cloud environment the vendor is responsible for refreshing the equipment..

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.