UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Smoked Tri Tip

4/20/10 4:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm in SoCal, so Tri Tip is pretty common here. I cook it all the time on my Weber kettle. Its easier than burgers in my opinion and people think you're a grillmeister.

Normally, I do tri tip Santa Maria style. Coat w/ canola, rub w/ salt/pepper/garlic, sear it over direct, then slide over to indirect until internal temp is 120, foil, rest for 30 minutes, slice and eat.

I recently had some people over and my wife wanted me to make my tri tip. So I cooked 2 tri tips Santa Maria, and 1 tri tip I smoked as an experiment. The smoked tri tip was the clear favorite among my guests, even the girls.

Last week my brother had a party at his house for about 15 people. He asked me to smoke 6 tri tips for him. So I did and all 6 tri tips were gone in an hour w/ rave reviews. Even the women liked it.

Here's how I do it in case you care. This is for 2 tri tips (about 2 lbs each)
  • Trim surface fat off (Costco's come already pretty trimmed)
  • Rub all over w/ mustard (helps the rub stick, you can't taste the mustard)
  • Rub tri tips generously w/ your rub (here's what I use below)
4 tsp sea salt
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp black pepper
you can add 1 tsp of cumin but I think cumin sucks
  • Smoke over hickory (or whatever wood you like) at 250 for 3 hours
  • After 3 hours, pull tri tips off, slather w/ BBQ sauce, foil, and put back on for 90 minutes, trip tips are usually at about 190 degrees at this point
  • Let rest for 30 minutes
  • Slice against grain (they make great sandwiches w/ BBQ sauce)
Enjoy,

OO7
4/20/10 6:45 PM
d0mm3r
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looks like you do yours sort of like a brisket - looks tasty!

I do mine a couple of ways - 1 with science and 1 without.

The rub is the same: 2 parts salt, pepper, garlic powder, dried rosemary; 1 part oregano.

No science: I use a Big Green Egg to smoke indirect at about 225 for as long as it takes to get to 140 internal, then I pull them off, rest, slice and devour.

Add science(!): Same setup as above, smoke at 200 until internal hits 110, then pull off and cool. Finish cooking sous vide for 48 hours at 130. Get Egg flaming hot and sear outside for a couple minutes on each side. Rest, slice and devour!
4/21/10 12:02 PM
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, the trip tip becomes a brisket essentially. A brisket with 1/2 the cook time. The touch of cayenne really goes well in there.
I slice it all up in a big serving tray, pour the juice from the foil all over it, and let people make their sandwiches.
4/29/10 10:03 AM
CoreNobody
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is teh goot!
6/9/10 12:27 PM
TheRealMKL
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sounds awesome. I'm gonna have to give that a try sometime

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.