UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Drwal won't judge Palhares for heel hook from hell

4/22/10 12:20 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
925 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

At UFC 111, Rousimar Palhares defeated Tomasz Drwal by heel hook early in the first round. Leg submissions are rare in the upper echelons of MMA, and this was Rousimar's second consecutive win, via the same hold. However, Palhares failed to stop when Drwal tapped repeatedly, forcing the referee to physically pry his hands off of his screaming oppoent. Fan condemnation was widespread,  and Palhares was suspended for 90 days by the New Jersey State Athletic Commission.

For the first time publicly, Drwal discusses the incident, with MMA Fighting.com

"S--- happens to everyone, and it's part of my job to deal with accidents. I'm not going to complain. This time around was good for him and bad for me."

"I felt a slow and weird crack in my ankle, so I tapped and screamed. I think when someone taps and screams it means that he's done, that he concedes the win to the other guy and that the guy should stop the hold without fearing any misunderstandings with the ref. But truthfully, I have no idea what went though his head. I will not judge him and simply leave it to the fans to make up their own mind."

"[My] knee and ankle does not need surgery and it was just a strong stretch. I do have fluids in my knee and my ankle creating some swelling but it's getting better everyday. I think I'll be able to come back to 100% and be able to train in two weeks time."

Read entire article...

4/22/10 12:22 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jason hornbuckle
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that dude is a world class asshole

holding a heelhook is night and day different than holding a choke or an armbar for a couple extra seconds
4/22/10 12:35 AM
Chill__Owl
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for Drwal!
4/22/10 12:40 AM
doerksenfan
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He looked like he got heel hooked into Bolivia, but no injuries? Good for him, and Drwal's a good sport for not holding a grudge.
4/22/10 12:51 AM
grandchampion
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Drywall is the man...

Polaris is a gorilla...
4/22/10 12:58 AM
Skpotamus
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wanna hate Palhares, but I keep flashing back to Taktarov ankle locking severn, who screams, oleg relaxes the hold, then gets kicked in the face, severn escapes and beats him.
4/22/10 12:58 AM
BenBJJ
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He didnt hold on long at all after ref stepped in.
4/22/10 1:18 AM
jayhaas08
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

not sure what people are talking about it was held way too long
4/22/10 1:23 AM
GC111

DALLOWAY VS PAUL HARRIS NOW

GIMME IT!!!!!
4/22/10 1:27 AM
michaelkaras
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GC111 - DALLOWAY VS PAUL HARRIS NOW

GIMME IT!!!!!
haha his fake tapping will NOT be effective against p harris

4/22/10 1:29 AM
ajjr0ller
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Drwal is a class act but I personally feel that Paul Harris held that submission entirely too long. We are not in the days of Taktarov/Severn anymore; when a fighter taps, the fight is over (unless that fighter is Chael Sonnen).
4/22/10 1:32 AM
D_S_A

held it less than a second after the ref stopped him

the ref should have known who the fuck paul harris is and should've been hovering right over them

if the ref hadn't taken so long to get there, drwal hadn't screamed, and rogan hadn't bitched no one would care about it and he wouldn't have been suspended
4/22/10 1:44 AM
Flying Teep
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One thing is for sure, refs will be a hell of a lot quicker when Paul Harris hits the mat now.
4/22/10 2:24 AM
michaelkaras
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

walr?s - 
michaelkaras - 
GC111 - DALLOWAY VS PAUL HARRIS NOW

GIMME IT!!!!!
haha his fake tapping will NOT be effective against p harris

Genius idea!

Paul Harris vs. C.B. will be the perfect case study to show, when teaching the noobs at your school what happens when they fake a tap! LOL
i think i remember you from sherdog. tis true?  i signed up for a superior forum i think haha

4/22/10 2:29 AM
BUFFGEO
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jason hornbuckle - that dude is a world class asshole

holding a heelhook is night and day different than holding a choke or an armbar for a couple extra seconds

I think its clear this is the general consensus here
4/22/10 2:37 AM
thebasher

I don't think that is the consensus at all. he stopped within a second of being asked. We've seen others hold chokes too long and landing strikes on a clearly unconscious man

He has been singled out and that's bullshit
4/22/10 3:00 AM
TheBear228
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Skpotamus - I wanna hate Palhares, but I keep flashing back to Taktarov ankle locking severn, who screams, oleg relaxes the hold, then gets kicked in the face, severn escapes and beats him.
Exactly. This isn't the people for the ethical treatment of athletes. It sucks what happened, and maybe a nicer guy would have let go sooner.....but the dude has a responsibility to himself, his family, and his camp to make sure he comes out of that fight a winner. I was such a huge Oleg fan back in the day....that was truly a WTF moment for me.
4/22/10 3:22 AM
CharlesLewis
779 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Everyone is timing it from the shout/tap... thats not when the fight stops. He held it a tiny bit longer when the ref stopped it, its a non issue.
4/22/10 3:46 AM
Brian McLaughlin
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Palhares is a douche with a history of holding the sub after the tap - I think the idea here is to scare future opponents.  Normally a fighter will tap once they are near the breaking point.  If someone fights Palhares they now KNOW he will not let go when you tap and has no problem breaking your limb - this can cause someone to tap to a sub they may have fought out of in order to avoid a career threatening injury.

Basically he is using bad sportsmanship in an effort to get an unfair leg up on his competition.  I hope someone knocks him out and goes Gomi on him.
4/22/10 3:49 AM
Skillrules
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good to hear there wasnt a major tear or surgery.
4/22/10 4:41 AM
Skpotamus
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/22/10 4:52 AM
I think a big part of what has everyone pissed off is Rogan showing the slow mo and counting and ranting about the heel hook.

*******Thread Hijack*******

TheBear228 -I was such a huge Oleg fan back in the day....that was truly a WTF moment for me.

At first I couldn't believe that they let severn do that (kicking with shoes was illegal then), then I remembered that even was named "Return of the Beast"....
4/22/10 5:08 AM
SikRick

Brian McLaughlin is 100% correct.   However, it is unfair a guy can punch the hell out of you when your out cold and you hold a sub a second longer after the ref touches you are judged different.    they are the same and for sure he was sending a message with his submission.  But really its part of the game, there are a ton of late hits and chokes held on for hours and nut kicks etc.  just cause it was a heel hook is the reason why people are different on this topic
4/22/10 7:59 AM
Moke
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/22/10 8:01 AM
It's not Palhares' fault...it's the fault of all the unscrupulous douchebags in the past that have tapped and then denied tapping.

Because of these assholes, it's commonplace today to simply keep the hold until the ref stops the fight, and not a moment before then.

So if you want to judge Palhares, judge him only for the amount of time he held the hold after the ref grabbed him or otherwise notified him the fight was finished. And if you watch the replay, starting from the time the ref grabs his arms, he held the hold for one second more. That's it. This is all about one single second.
4/22/10 8:08 AM
ChangoBravo
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Skpotamus - I wanna hate Palhares, but I keep flashing back to Taktarov ankle locking severn, who screams, oleg relaxes the hold, then gets kicked in the face, severn escapes and beats him.

Exactly!

Drwal is a good sport. Classy.

Paul Harris is in the gray. Emotion, adrenaline, and maybe some intention. Don't know. I am still a fan!

Chango
4/22/10 8:21 AM
fabes
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You don't let go of a sub because of a scream.  It's the ref's job to be aware when to stop it. I know Paul Harris has a history of this in the past, but I don't think the heelhook against Drwal was really that bad. That being said, I hope Drwal gets one more chance and that Paul Harris fights a top guy next (like Okami or Marquardt, etc).

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.