UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Gomi vs. Stevenson @ UFC Versus 2

4/22/10 3:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JoseyWales
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.mmamania.com/2010/4/22/1435056/ufc-on-versus-2-joe-stevenson-vs
4/22/10 3:49 PM
Peckerwood
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yawn...not a fan of Joe.

4/22/10 3:50 PM
JoseyWales
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have to go with Stevenson by decision.

But I could see him pulling off a sub late in the 2nd or 3rd
4/22/10 3:50 PM
goku

another not great fight for gomi...gomi can definitely win, but i have a feeling joe can take him down...
4/22/10 3:53 PM
JimmersonzGlove
504 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wish they'd put Gomi against someone who wants to trade. He's not going to be top 5 again...might as well put him in interesting fights.
4/22/10 4:04 PM
goku

JimmersonzGlove -  I wish they'd put Gomi against someone who wants to trade. He's not going to be top 5 again...might as well put him in interesting fights.

agreed...i think dana is just obligiing the japanese people who love to see their fighters get smashed by westerners
4/22/10 4:05 PM
supersonic
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hope JoeDaddy gets leveled.
4/22/10 4:12 PM
glasscasket
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bad match-up for Gomi, Joe Daddy takes this one.
4/22/10 4:18 PM
Peckerwood

They obviously want Gomi out of the UFC quick. Gomi should Spencer Fisher or Melvin Guilard.
4/22/10 4:22 PM
shibbyguy

gomi vs guillard imo
4/22/10 4:26 PM
voorhees

shibbyguy - gomi vs guillard imo

4/22/10 4:28 PM
Santino DeFranco
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shitty match up. I want to see Gomi against Guillard, Stout, Stevens. Too bad Huerta is gone as that would have been an exciting fight too.
4/22/10 4:52 PM
Skillrules
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is a very reasonable match for Gomi. Stevenson is 3-4, his last 7 fights in the UFC. Joe isnt one of these guys that is perfectly, physically optimized for the division either; he is a little short and and isnt super fast. They are giving Gomi a name fighter who got a title shot, but has been very beatable the last few years. To me, this will really give us some answers as to where Takanori is. He could show some movement, has the ability to hurt Joe standing, won't be an easy takedown... particularly as the fight progresses.
4/22/10 4:55 PM
Uncle Justice
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JimmersonzGlove -  I wish they'd put Gomi against someone who wants to trade. He's not going to be top 5 again...might as well put him in interesting fights.

^Word.

Gomi vs.

Nate Diaz at 55
Fisher
Etim
Paul Kelly
Andre Winner
Stout
Guillard
4/22/10 4:57 PM
goku

Skillrules -  This is a very reasonable match for Gomi. Stevenson is 3-4, his last 7 fights in the UFC. Joe isnt one of these guys that is perfectly, physically optimized for the division either; he is a little short and and isnt super fast. They are giving Gomi a name fighter who got a title shot, but has been very beatable the last few years. To me, this will really give us some answers as to where Takanori is. He could show some movement, has the ability to hurt Joe standing, won't be an easy takedown... particularly as the fight progresses.

its all about matchups...is joe the right matchup from a star/skill level perspective? yes

is he the right matchup from a style perspective? no..because gomi's one greatest weakness is getting taken down and submitted..

its conceivable that joe could submit gomi very quickly so that we cant even see the other skills gomi possesses
4/22/10 4:59 PM
Nipples of Kirik

he had plenty of chance to stand with Kenny and was too scared too.

nice breakdown expert lol
4/22/10 5:38 PM
Skillrules
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Goku, the thing about it is,Joe is a much more predictable opponent than Florian was. He has to be able to outmatch Joe standing, so Stevenson's gameplan is takedown's, gnp and the guillotine? I think Gomi will be ready. To me, it would be more insulting to Tak to have him fight a lower-level UFCer that has never been close to the Top 10 in his career. I dont think he should be treated like a new fighter to the MMA big time.

I believe Gomi underperformed in his first UFC, like a lot of fighters, and his biggest problem was being unable to slip-counter the jab. If he ups his conditioning another couple of percent and works the right game plan, he will give Joe hell. If he can't then they can drop him another level in caliber.
4/22/10 5:54 PM
cusandmike

Gomi vs. Joe ain't bad. Gomi vs. Guida would be better. Gomi vs. Huerta would have been fuck'n crazy.
4/22/10 5:54 PM
orcus

Joe by sub round one.
4/22/10 6:39 PM
Chappie
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shitty fight for Gomi, it would have been much more exciting to see him in with Fisher, Kelly, Stout or Guillard. Odd matchmaking.
4/22/10 6:43 PM
D_S_A

stevenson is one of the few guys Gomi could conceivably hit with a Hadouken

most likely he'll just gas and lose though
4/22/10 6:43 PM
Dexter Morgan

The price is right.

4/23/10 2:41 AM
ChickendanceThailand

not pumped for this fight at all. Gomi vs Stout would have been awesome
4/23/10 3:01 AM
doerksenfan
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good match-up. Stevenson will push the pace, but won't threaten Gomi standing nearly as much as Kenny did. Hopefully that means Gomi will open up more and be more aggressive this go around. Overall, I like it, though Stevenson would've been a better pick as a first opponent for Gomi.
4/23/10 6:20 PM
Cann
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/23/10 6:21 PM
ChickendanceThailand - not pumped for this fight at all. Gomi vs Stout would have been awesome

This

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.