UnderGround Forums

MMA Writer UnderGround >> What are the basic steps...

4/22/10 3:48 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cycklops
295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

from start to finish, on getting a book published?
7/26/10 1:56 PM
ChuckManson
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I actually thought about this the other day when I was watching "Sideways"
2/25/11 5:16 PM
zealot66
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The market is so tight right now that most publishing houses arent even accepting unsolicited un agented manuscripts. Self Publishing, is an option to get started. It isnt a guarantee to traditional publishing but writers often aren't succesful in their first attempts. I will be self publishing and see what happens.
2/25/11 5:40 PM
DuSmiEthwhi
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have you been to WritersDigest.com

They have some good resources on the subject. Oddly writing and publication may as well be it's own Genre
2/25/11 6:01 PM
zealot66
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Alot of failed writers discovered that they could cash in on teaching others to write and publish. Kind of like a pyramid scheme.
2/25/11 6:03 PM
DuSmiEthwhi

You know I've thought the same thing from time to time.

But honestly all diamonds unpolished look like rocks.

I've got some books by Orson Scott Card, and I wouldn't say he failed.
2/26/11 3:19 PM
Eh_J
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It seems like the literary world is a tricky one to navigate.

Not only that, but I'm paranoid that my first book will be my best (and only) work.  So if you need to self-publish your first piece before finding any success, then maybe I'm fucked.
2/26/11 5:16 PM
zealot66

Not really. If you are smart about retaining all the rights to a truly selfpublished book, it can be picked up again by a traditional publisher. With alot of 'selfpublishing' companies, they will retain rights to a book. Do some google searches on self publishing and retaining your publishing rights. 
2/26/11 11:04 PM
DuSmiEthwhi

zealot66 -  Not really. If you are smart about retaining all the rights to a truly selfpublished book, it can be picked up again by a traditional publisher. With alot of 'selfpublishing' companies, they will retain rights to a book. Do some google searches on self publishing and retaining your publishing rights. 

Thanks for That advice; it's very important to me to keep the rights to my book
5/3/11 11:01 AM
siouxNYC
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

self-publishing should be a last resort (or a tactical move by an established author). the first and most important steps to getting published are to learn the craft of writing and practice it.
5/4/11 10:41 AM
JCMcGee
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Descartes tries to get published today:

http://youtu.be/VfSvS6rTUcM

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.