UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Franklin on one last run for 205 lb. title

4/23/10 1:32 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1196 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Speaking exclusively with CagePotato.com on Thursday afternoon, Rich Franklin  revealed that his days as a middleweight in the UFC are likely numbered and that he is planning on making the best of his new permanent home at light heavyweight by working towards a title shot in his final five fights on his contract.

According to the former UFC middleweight champ, the decision to abandon the weight class he once reigned over in the Octagon was not entirely a personal one.

"The UFC has repeatedly told me that they aren't interested in seeing me fight at 185 any more. Because of that, I moved up to 205. It all comes down to the fact that they didn't want to do a Franklin-Silva III," Franklin explains. "I'm a 'never say never' type of guy, but the problem is that if the UFC doesn't want to see me do a title match at 185,  ultimately I would be stuck fighting in that weight class without ever being able to fight for a title again, which would make no sense since that is the whole reason we do this and the goal we work towards as fighters."

read entire article...

4/23/10 1:34 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
KirbyLovesTacos
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Franklin is a gatekeeper now.
4/23/10 1:43 AM
Xspur
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rich Franklin is a class act, and great for the sport. The cool thing about him moving up to 205 permanently is that there are some really really great match ups for him there. I'm happy to see him settle in for one more run at a title.
4/23/10 1:44 AM
KirbyLovesTacos

redmtx - 
KirbyLovesTacos - Franklin is a gatekeeper now.

I'm pretty sure he's a few levels above gatekeeper. He might not be the 205 champ but i don't see anyone that would destroy him.

Liddell is gonna knock him out.
4/23/10 1:46 AM
Milford Cubicle

redmtx - 
KirbyLovesTacos - Franklin is a gatekeeper now.

I'm pretty sure he's a few levels above gatekeeper. He might not be the 205 champ but i don't see anyone that would destroy him.

Rogerio, Forrest, Rampage, Rashad, Thiago etc would destroy him.
4/23/10 2:10 AM
ChickendanceThailand

Franklin is a sick fighter who still has some great fights left. Would love Franklin vs T. SIlva or Bones Jones
4/23/10 2:11 AM
Milford Cubicle

LOL@freak punch, get outta here with that shit. and Bones Jones would destroy him too.
4/23/10 2:18 AM
Milford Cubicle

Franklin should go to Strikeforce.
4/23/10 2:23 AM
ShanTheGSPee'dOnMan
801 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Franklin was/is the shizzle
4/23/10 2:35 AM
Gullivers Travels
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/23/10 2:35 AM
Machida, Shogun, Rampage, Lil Nog, Silva (at 205) would beat him IMO. I give Rashad and Forrest a 50/50 shot. Regardless, if he won a shit load of fights (like 7-10) at 185, I wouldn't care if they had him fight Anderson again. I just don't like when they do rematches (even tho this would be 3rd shot) like 2-3 fights apart.
4/23/10 2:47 AM
Gullivers Travels
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Porkchop - I know it says "one last run" but it doesnt say in the article that he is thinking about retireing. I read an interview where he said he would sign another contract before retireing likely.

I thought I read the opposite, that he wanted to retire at the end of this contract, which would likely span the next two years or so. If he made it to the title, however, I'm sure he'd sign another.
4/23/10 3:10 AM
xMMAx
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Silva vs Franklin 205! Haha that'll never happen, but yeah, hope Franklin does well at 205.
4/23/10 10:26 AM
MNFAN

No matter what happens in Chuck/Rich and Forrest/Lil' Nog, the absolute next fight has to be Rich/Forrest.
4/23/10 11:06 AM
Wade Hampel

Franklin has a good chance

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.