UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Starting video bible study next week

4/24/10 1:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
reverend john
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My community has seen fit to loose me to do this. The first study will be the gospel of Matthew. I have been teaching this wonderful book for most of my adult life. I will put videos on my blog and will answer comments once a week for an hour, but no more. They will be in ten minute increments and will deal with the radical and revolutionary teachings and example of Jesus. I hope it to be a good understanding of how I understand our call to live out the kingdom of God, and be a prophetic people.

Hope you all will contribute

rev
4/24/10 2:50 PM
Lahi
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Look foreward to it Rev.
4/27/10 11:19 AM
Robert Wynne
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matthew 24:36 has to be one of the most quoted lines ever....

"However, no one knows the day or the hour when these things will happen, not even the angels in heaven or the son himself. Only the Father knows."
4/27/10 11:43 AM
reverend john
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Only the Father knows, but then he told Tim LaHaye ahahahhaah

rev
4/27/10 10:06 PM
Puzzled
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I will try to tune in. 

4/28/10 2:22 PM
bjjdna
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

link?
4/28/10 3:35 PM
reverend john

it will be at johnthereverend.com but I haven't been well for a while now, and the idea of recording a video while I am very sick seemed silly. I hope to have something up by Sunday

rev
4/29/10 7:37 AM
Robert Wynne
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/29/10 7:53 AM
My pastor will be gone to do a 200 mile bike ride for a childrens hospital in a month, i will be preaching, while he's gone, perhaps i'll preach some from the book of matthew, but somehow i see my view of matthew and yours to be extremely diiferent.
4/29/10 4:51 PM
reverend john

well, most of my views settle around the idea that Jesus actually meant it when he said what he said. And expected us to follow him, and his teachings. Not sure where there is going to be such radical discrepancies. I also try very hard to understand the cultural and socio-political world into which Jesus was speaking in order to understand what he was saying more clearly

rev
4/30/10 7:41 AM
Robert Wynne

agreed....there are many good lessons in Matthew, in which to study or teach from. Matthew seven is probably my favorite, just because it has the golden rule in it.
4/30/10 9:00 AM
reverend john

yeah, I love the entire sermon on the mount, especially the beatitudes

rev
4/30/10 3:27 PM
Grakman

Robert Wynne - My pastor will be gone to do a 200 mile bike ride for a childrens hospital in a month, i will be preaching, while he's gone, perhaps i'll preach some from the book of matthew, but somehow i see my view of matthew and yours to be extremely diiferent.

What church will you be preaching at Robert?
4/30/10 9:27 PM
Robert Wynne

^the church that i am a trustee of.
4/30/10 9:35 PM
Grakman

Robert Wynne -  ^the church that i am a trustee of.

lol oh ok. That one, there? :P

I wasn't going to track you down and go listen to your sermon; I was more interested in denomination / branch / non-denom than anything else. You have some interesting views and wondered where those are taught.

No harm meant.
4/30/10 9:42 PM
Robert Wynne

reverend john - yeah, I love the entire sermon on the mount, especially the beatitudes

rev

One of our deacons, is a gigantic fan of the beatitudes. Our pastor..Deuteronomy and any of the four gospels

normally when its my turn i go with psalms, but i'm going to go with Matthew this time, look forward to reading your postings. I'd gone with psalms again if you hadn't made this thread..so thanks,,i feel inspired:)

Matthew 11:30 "For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden i give you is light."
4/30/10 9:45 PM
Robert Wynne

Grakman - 
Robert Wynne -  ^the church that i am a trustee of.

lol oh ok. That one, there? :P

I wasn't going to track you down and go listen to your sermon; I was more interested in denomination / branch / non-denom than anything else. You have some interesting views and wondered where those are taught.

No harm meant.
oh cool..had me wondering, I'm American Baptist, as a teenager i was a Pentecostal preaching protege, my views are different:)

5/1/10 12:42 AM
reverend john

bapticostal?
5/1/10 3:17 PM
Robert Wynne

rotfl:)
5/2/10 4:37 PM
zealot66
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A protege ? remember that kid that his dad took him around the country preaching ? Kids shouldnt be preaching, imo. 
5/2/10 4:43 PM
reverend john

I agree, not good for the kid
5/3/10 9:52 PM
uglee
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

reverend john - well, most of my views settle around the idea that Jesus actually meant it when he said what he said. And expected us to follow him, and his teachings. Not sure where there is going to be such radical discrepancies. I also try very hard to understand the cultural and socio-political world into which Jesus was speaking in order to understand what he was saying more clearly

rev

Could you explain this to me better. It seems to suggest that you think he means what he said, but because he said it in a differnt time and place it dosn't apply today, or he would say things differntly in today's world? This seems to lead to some serious problems in your logic if I'm understanding correctly.
5/4/10 12:12 AM
reverend john

When I say that Jesus actually meant what he said, I am talking about the prevalent two kingdom ethic in modern Christendom which suggests that what is really important is the "spiritual", but in the real world we have to live under different rules. So you can love your enemy in your heart, but still bomb him. What Jesus means when he says sell all you have and follow me he means to not really love money in your heart, and as long as you don't love it in your heart you can have as much as you want.

When I say that we should understand Jesus in His context, that doesn't mean so we can not do what He says, but rather, we can better understand what He said, so we can figure out how we can do that now. For instance, when Jesus tells us that we are turn the other cheek, he was actually literally saying turn the other cheek, but what that means in its day is very profound. It basically translates into, stand against oppression, but do so non violently. So it doesn't mean we don't do what he said, nor that he didn't mean it, but rather that we understand more fully what he said and meant, and then see how we can practice it, and follow him more completely in our daily lives

rev
5/4/10 1:42 AM
uglee
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So you don't in fact believe in a literal interpertation of the bible? Rather one trying to get at spirtual message? How then do you deal with things that can not be read as anything other then violent such as luke 19:27. To be fair I should say I'm not a person of faith but I'm not looking for an argument meerily trying to understand the christian mindset.
5/4/10 9:14 AM
reverend john

Quite the opposite, I believe in a literal interpretation of the bible, at least I do in the parts of the bible that are clearly literal, like the gospels. I have no idea how you could possible have understood otherwise from my post. Perhaps you are making up your mind about me first and then reading into what I said? I specifically said that the "two kingdom" ethic is wrong, and that we are meant to actually live what Jesus said in the real world.

Luke 19:27 is a parable, parables by their very nature are not literal, they are parables. If you would like a full exegesis on that parable I can do one for you.

And don't look to me to understand the "Christian mindset" because if there even is such a thing, I would guess most would disagree with me

rev
5/4/10 9:16 AM
reverend john

Sorry, reading what I wrote I do understand why you thought that. Please forgive me, what I meant is, "when I say I believe Jesus actually meant what he said" it is in reaction against the two kingdom ethic which is prevalent in modern Christendom"

rev

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.