UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Any Ron Tripp info?

4/24/10 11:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
aegix
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone have much more information about Ron Tripp then what is readily available from Wikipedia or train with him?  Seems like for a person with several hundred matches with just a handful of losses, I thought there would more about him. 
4/25/10 7:47 AM
dynamo
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ron actually started his judo career at my club. He was an alternate on the 1976 U.S. Olympic Team in wrestling at 163lbs. After that he came to Davenport, IA to attend Palmer College of Chiropractic. It was there where he met U.S. Judo legend Jim Wooley who was also attending Palmer and training at my club.
After graduating Palmer Ron moved to Oklahoma to set up a practice and train with another judo legend, Pat Burris.
Ron went on to become a World team member in judo and he also became a World Sambo Champion.
4/25/10 7:57 AM
aegix

Thanks, Dynamo.  Should have known you would have either known or had some history with the guy!
4/26/10 2:32 PM
Punk Dobbs

It was one of the highlights of my life to spend 6 years of my life (19-25) training with Ron in Norman. The guy is brilliantly smart, charismatic as anyone you'll ever meet and is just cool as hell to have a beer with.

I used to go to him for all my judo injuries and he would tell me "As your physician, I advise you to do no judo until this injury is resolved. As your coach, I advise you to do whatever the hell you want to do." LOL
4/26/10 6:22 PM
JoshuaResnick
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ron is good people.
5/9/10 5:40 AM
JSho
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When he is listed as 1994 world champion, is that under FIAS West? Presumably there was a similar world championships the Eastern Bloc participated in?
5/21/10 11:11 AM
JudOWNED
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I realize I'm opening a can of worms here, but his brother Mark Tripp posts on bullshido.net. You might want to ask over there.
5/21/10 10:19 PM
JoshuaResnick
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no you dont want to ask over there. Ron will be the first person to tell you exactly what he thinks when it comes to Mark and Judo.

period.
5/25/10 11:30 PM
dynamo
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There cousins, not brothers.
9/22/10 6:15 PM
Punk Dobbs

Sometime in the late eighties, early 90's, the US Olympic Festival was held in Edmond, Ok. The top 5 in each weight category competed against each other. Ron was competing in the Open category and walked around at around 210. Most of the other competitors were closer to 300.

He was a crowd favorite since he was local and the whole place would watch and cheer during his matches. It was during one of these times when all eyes were on him that he hocked up a big loogie during the middle of the match. I guess he didn't want to swallow it so he just opened up his lapel and spit the thing into the inside of his gi. The entire convention center let out a collective gasp of disgust. It was pretty funny.
9/22/10 8:05 PM
JoshuaResnick

gotta love Ron.. if that Loogie woulda touched the mat he would've been DQ'd.
10/7/10 11:26 PM
JDOKLR
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JudOWNED - I realize I'm opening a can of worms here, but his brother Mark Tripp posts on bullshido.net. You might want to ask over there.

Mark Tripp used to post here years ago. I ran him off this site during an argument that ensued when he criticized a post I made about the evolution of BJJ from Judo. I made a quick analogy of how the automobile evolved from a horse drawn carriage. Of all the things, he got a hair up his ass and argued with me that in no way was the automobile an evolution of the horse drawn carriage. I posted fact after fact after fact and practicaly wrote fucking essays on the evolution of the automobile. He never gave in. The anal retentive douche just left.

JudoKiller

10/8/10 7:46 PM
JoshuaResnick

trust me... far more people than you ran him off.
10/10/10 3:59 AM
Bently

I'm glad somebody else remembered that as well, Josh.

He no longer posts at Bullshido, has his own forum now.

Ben
10/10/10 1:48 PM
JDOKLR
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoshuaResnick - trust me... far more people than you ran him off.

I'm sure.
10/11/10 2:01 AM
CyQFaunce

Bently - He no longer posts at Bullshido, has his own forum now.

Not any more.  It lasted just long enough to devolve into a bunch of stupid political arguments, all of which featured plenty of magisterial pronouncements from Mark.  He had a few grapplers posting intermittently, and numerous hangers-on and proctosculators.
10/14/10 7:19 AM
Bently

CyQFaunce - 
Bently - He no longer posts at Bullshido, has his own forum now.

Not any more.  It lasted just long enough to devolve into a bunch of stupid political arguments, all of which featured plenty of magisterial pronouncements from Mark.  He had a few grapplers posting intermittently, and numerous hangers-on and proctosculators.

I checked it out a couple of times. Same old stuff as before, including his sojourn here.

Looking for a new home?

Ben
10/15/10 2:44 PM
JudOWNED
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He lasted longer at bullshido than I expected. When he first got there I though for sure he was going to leave the first time someone disagreed with him.
10/16/10 5:51 AM
Bently

JudOWNED - He lasted longer at bullshido than I expected. When he first got there I though for sure he was going to leave the first time someone disagreed with him.

LOL, well, he made it for a while, at least. Wonder where he will pop up next, after the failure of his own forum?

Ben
11/10/10 12:28 AM
bkprice661

I got a few instructional videos of marks, I traded some old wing chun tapes I had with a buddy for them. I have to go back and watch them again, its been years sense I pulled them off the shelf and dont remember to much about them.
11/11/10 3:40 AM
JoshuaResnick

Trane.... here's the thing.. for the same $$$, you can get great instruction from people who you dont need to overlook anything on.
11/17/10 4:03 PM
Marktripp

Still? Still the same silly ass holes just can't get a life?

Hey Josh, FUCK YOU. I have Ron on video at my club saying exactly what he thinks and feels.

As to "running me off" hate to remind you, but I left because this entire forum, which I created I might add, became a place of hate due to Josh the jerk and his butt boy Q ball.

I could go on but here is a thought, and I have said it before...

I will be in Findly Ohio, on December 4th doing another clinic Josh thinks has no value...

SHOW UP AND SAY IT TO MY FACE.

Nothing but a punk and a pussy Josh, you always have been, and you always will be.

Have a nice day boys, its nice to see you are still 10 years in the past......
11/17/10 4:18 PM
Marktripp

Oh, from Dr. Ron Tripp himself:

I have no idea what this is about, I would imagine he is referring to Tom who you are mistakenly identified as my uncle many times. I have no use for Tom and his so called career in judo, end of story. Please forward me the complete conversation that this came from
11/17/10 4:22 PM
Marktripp

Or, why not ask the current King of the Cage champion Dom "I hate you so much" O'Grady his opinion and why he has me training him and his guys.

But hey, why bother with truth.

Oh, and again Josh, FUCK YOU...
11/17/10 4:44 PM
THE GENEHUNTER

JSho - When he is listed as 1994 world champion, is that under FIAS West? Presumably there was a similar world championships the Eastern Bloc participated in?

FIAS west.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.