UnderGround Forums

PhotoshopGround >> What advantage is a bigger lens?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

4/25/10 5:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HappyFunBall
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Given an SLR vs a Compact with equivalent zoom & Mpixels, will the SLR with a bigger lens make better pictures for a scene with plenty of light?

I took some mountain-top landscape pictures and am dissatisfied with how hazy and washed-out they are.

My Canon SX210 doesn't seem to compare with Flickr pictures I've seen made with Canon SLR's of lower zoom and Mpix.
4/28/10 10:01 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When you say bigger lens you need to be specific as to "bigger than what"?

f stops are going to make all the difference "in the lens" and sensor size in the camera.

Demi

www.VisionsAndDreams.net
5/1/10 4:26 AM
LiteBlu
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you mean a physically longer lens then it would have a longer focal length then you would be able to fill your frame with subjects that are further away.

If you mean a lens that has a big diameter then it would have a bigger aperture (a lower minimum F number) meaning it can take photos at faster shutter speeds in lower light, hence the term "fast lens".

6/1/10 7:12 PM
Lofland
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/01/10 7:15 PM
A point-and-shoot zooms by taking the megapixels in a section of your sensor and blowing them up. A longer lens magnifies the image so it fills your sensor, at the cost of slightly less light I think.

I just learned a little about photography after buying a Canon dslr for a cruise I went on.

The lens may be the biggest factor, but there could be a lot of others. Different haze on that day. Maybe the dslr guy was using filters. Maybe the dslr guy used different shutter speed, ISO, and aperture settings.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.