UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> anyone going to Cisco Live!!!!

4/26/10 9:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
StephenL
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.ciscolive.com/

i may have to foot the bill myself this year. heck will take it off my taxes.

stephen
4/27/10 10:09 AM
big_slacker
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll be there.
4/27/10 1:15 PM
StephenL

trying to weasel a free pass from the cisco rep.

stephen
4/28/10 5:48 AM
Road Warrior Fin
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lemme see if I can get my company to send me and a buddy over there.  I have a free plane ticket and free boarding in LV anyways.

OG meet?  Oh shit!
4/28/10 8:41 AM
StephenL

the og meet would be awesome.

if you go, schedule your test on the 1st day as the rest of the conference can turn into a drunken, hungover blur.

stephen

4/29/10 11:16 PM
Solidus

Vegas...should be fun.
4/30/10 6:06 PM
StephenL

as it's in vegas, it won't be a total sausage fest, like orlando, two years ago.

stephen
4/30/10 8:32 PM
big_slacker
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SF last year was good. Except for the stinking dirty mafia-like moscone center day laborers. I mean.... proud American union workers.
5/1/10 9:41 PM
StephenL

cisco is hiring so there should be no protests this year.

stephen
5/30/10 3:11 PM
rfquinn
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just planned my schedule last weekend...it took me 4-5 hours to sift through all the awesome classes and decide.  I can't wait!
6/24/10 4:49 AM
Juijitsuboxer
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
6/24/10 4:49 AM
Juijitsuboxer
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How much is a ticket?
6/24/10 11:39 PM
rfquinn
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Early bird was about $1,600.  It's a really good deal considering how much Global Knowledge and the others charge.
6/25/10 4:13 PM
BlackJesus
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Big If I send my boss to your booth can you get some good SWAG?

Thanks
6/25/10 8:12 PM
big_slacker

Our swag is usually crap but I'll give him what we've got. :D

Guys, I'll be at my employer's booth (PM me) and the CCIE party at voodoo. Shaved head, skinny guy. Stop by or maybe we'll arrange an OG get together afterwards one night.
6/26/10 11:17 AM
Juijitsuboxer

rfquinn - Early bird was about $1,600.  It's a really good deal considering how much Global Knowledge and the others charge.

What can you do at Cisco Live? Is it like a Cisco boot camp for certification?

Global has a 5 day CCNA boot camp, from 8am to 8pm for $3200, is Cisco live even 5 days long?
6/26/10 7:51 PM
big_slacker

Cisco live is just a convention. They have breakout sessions on particular topics so you can learn things, but its not a bootcamp.

About the GK class, I teach bootcamps (ccnp/sp and a few others) and no one is going to get anything but burnt out in a 12 hour class. You just can't process that much information. 12 hours and GK tends to be heavy on slides/lecture and labs where you just copy configs out of a book. Death by powerpoint.

I like to do a concept/technology and then a lab before lunch, and another after. Plus the class is a dialog instead of a spoonfeeding.

I'd personally save the $$. If you have $3200 get a rack like this that you can use for CCNA, CCNP and so your resume can say you know how to work with real equipment. No I'm not selling this rack or work for this company, just a quick ebay search for the example.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RACK-ULTIMATE-CISCO-CCNA-CCNP-CCIE-CERT-LAB-KIT-/320552934142?cmd=ViewItem&pt=COMP_EN_Routers&hash=item4aa2719afe

Get some good books with the rest. Much better investment.
6/28/10 11:46 PM
big_slacker

Met rfquinn today, although I was so confused and brain fried I didn't know who he was at first. Where are the rest of you guys??? StephenL?
6/29/10 12:56 AM
Road Warrior Fin
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I couldn't make it :(
6/29/10 2:09 AM
Juijitsuboxer

big_slacker - Cisco live is just a convention. They have breakout sessions on particular topics so you can learn things, but its not a bootcamp.

About the GK class, I teach bootcamps (ccnp/sp and a few others) and no one is going to get anything but burnt out in a 12 hour class. You just can't process that much information. 12 hours and GK tends to be heavy on slides/lecture and labs where you just copy configs out of a book. Death by powerpoint.

I like to do a concept/technology and then a lab before lunch, and another after. Plus the class is a dialog instead of a spoonfeeding.

I'd personally save the $$. If you have $3200 get a rack like this that you can use for CCNA, CCNP and so your resume can say you know how to work with real equipment. No I'm not selling this rack or work for this company, just a quick ebay search for the example.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RACK-ULTIMATE-CISCO-CCNA-CCNP-CCIE-CERT-LAB-KIT-/320552934142?cmd=ViewItem&pt=COMP_EN_Routers&hash=item4aa2719afe

Get some good books with the rest. Much better investment.

I get to use 100% tuition reimbursement because Global Knowledge uses Baker College as an intermediary to offer a grade, college credit and transcripts for their Boot camps.
6/30/10 2:54 AM
rfquinn

Good to meet you, slacker!  I actually only got to spend a couple of hours in  the World of Solutions so far, so I'm glad I ran into you.

I've been loving the technical classes so far.  Today I got to whiteboard some multicast questions with a few of the top multicast engineers in the world one-on-one.  Crazy.  The level of brainpower around this place is nuts. 

Oh, and if anyone else is here at Live, definitely check out the table topics during lunch.  Some of the presenters are at the tables, so you can pick their brains over lunch.  Very very cool.

6/30/10 10:56 AM
big_slacker

Yeah, tons of the top guys running around. I got to chat briefly with Yusuf, the head of the CCIE security program. Met with the guy the created the CCDE/Architect certs. John Chambers stopped by our booth. Ate dinner with the guys that write all the associate and professional exams, they're really doing their best to make them more practical. Really cool to meet some of these folks and see they're not just a faceless corporation.

The CCIE party last night at Voodoo was a blast as well. Got some co-workers tipsy which is always fun. I threw up the shocker in a company photo.
6/30/10 11:01 AM
Road Warrior Fin

Awsome - how is Cisco's tablet?
6/30/10 11:55 AM
big_slacker

I haven't gotten to play with it, see it or anything. I've literally spent the last 2 days from 8am to 7pm just standing in the booth.

I'd like to take a look, as a device that has 3g/46/wifi AND can run e-mail, video conference, SSH/SSL for device access, webex,(I don't know if this last bit will be possible) MS office could be HUGE for remote workers like myself.
6/30/10 11:47 PM
Road Warrior Fin

I'm sure all of the Andriod users are happy because Cisco will most def build a VPN client now.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.