UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Scales and modes

4/27/10 1:30 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
garrote2007
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I saw this book called Guitar Grimoire: Scales and Modes. It looks full of really good information but unfortunately, I don't know where to begin in understanding how it works. The book's own explanation is even a little confusing. Can someone give me the gist on scales and modes?
4/27/10 10:30 AM
T Bag
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I do not recommend the Guitar Grimoire book at all.
William Leavitt's "Modern Method for Guitar" series is far superior IMO
4/28/10 10:13 AM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Scales are sets of ascending and descending "notes" that go together in a particular key. Chords are developed from the notes in scales. For example: In an A MINOR scale the 1st, 3rd and 5th note make an A MINOR chord.

Modes are sets of scales that go together in a particular key. This family of scales can be transposed all over the neck and it allows for greater understanding of the entire fretboard landscape.

Chords, scales, modes and root notes are the building blocks of all guitar playing.

Demi

www.VisionsAndDreams.net
5/18/10 12:35 PM
Racer X
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fretboard Logic is a better reference than the Guitar Grimoire, IMO.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.