UnderGround Forums

Kickboxing UnderGround >> Checking the leg kick

4/27/10 10:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sevenone
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This conversation came up again! the other day after training. Do you guys check with your foot flexed or pointed down?
I have been taught both ways and find that the most importan thing is to get the tibia pointed out so my opponent is hitting the most uncomfortable place possible.
I worry about catching my toes if I were to flex my foot, but I get that some people feel stronger with the muscles on the outside of their legs flexed.

Also in general, hope everybody's training is going well.
4/27/10 10:42 AM
Khun Kao
1001 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been taught both as well, by Thai's no less. As you said, the most important part of the technique (no matter which you do) is pointing the knee into the kick. Toes up or down really boils down to personal preference, IMO
4/27/10 11:32 AM
Bull_in_chinashop
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As I'm really folding my leg back to check the low kick with my knee or upper shin, I usually keep the toes down. However If I'm blocking mid kicks, I tend to use my toes as a hook to catch his achilles and pull him off balance to counter, the later I've picked up working with Matt and Hiro.

4/27/10 2:53 PM
sevenone
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool detail on the mid kick I'll have to try and drill it.
5/3/10 12:30 PM
The Sultan
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/07/10 1:10 PM
 I was taught to have my toes flexed to create a more solid block....it helps with the bone on bone contact too.
5/16/10 3:16 AM
FlyingKneeBar
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I always point my knee and shin out and keep my toes down. Sometimes its fun but mean to try to spike the kick with your knee. not really sure how to explain this but it happens from time to time.
additionaly, if you can slightly lean into your leg check,it pops their hips open and makes countering easier. At least it works for me.
5/16/10 7:15 PM
cuzz63
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FlyingKneeBar - I always point my knee and shin out and keep my toes down. Sometimes its fun but mean to try to spike the kick with your knee. not really sure how to explain this but it happens from time to time.
quote]

Thats the way I learned it years ago, the closer to the knee you catch the shin with the more it hurts the kicker.
8/4/10 8:48 AM
Rick Screeton
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was taught toes up... if they are pointed at the floor and someone comes a bit low and hits the foot near the toes, there is a lot of potential for ankle damage
8/5/10 4:16 PM
Bankable

I was taught toes up as well. toes up for shielding and toes down for kneeing.
8/8/10 2:47 AM
The Sauce
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like toes up, my leg feels stronger this way. Although I have seen people get kicked in the toes it has never happend to me yet
8/8/10 3:35 AM
DevinS
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was taught toes down quite adamantly by both gyms I got to train at in Thailand. Toes down when throwing knees was also stressed.
8/29/10 3:33 AM
RocknRolla

me 2
8/30/10 8:03 AM
Ray Elbe
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been living in Thailand almost 4 years now...and have asked this very question to several trainers.

I've gotten both answers.

Some prefer toes up, while others prefer toes down.

Personally...I have always done "toes down"--the reason being...when you point your toes, your causing muscle to flex in your shin...which when hit with a leg kick is more likely to hematoma and cause severe bruising. Bone on Bone is always the best in my opinion.
8/31/10 10:33 AM
Ryukyu Damashi
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Getting hit in a flexed muscle increases bruising?
8/31/10 12:52 PM
Ray Elbe
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ryukyu Damashi - Getting hit in a flexed muscle increases bruising?

Not per say---

point your toes down...and run you hand along your shin. If your leg is like mine---you will just notice bone.

Flex your toes out...and run your hand along your shin. If your leg is like mine----you will notice the different placement of the muscles running adjacent to your shin bone.

...Those muscles...when flexed...are exposed to more contact...than when your toes are pointed down and the majority of the strike is connecting with the bone.

Ultimately I've been taught both ways, however the logic in pointing the toes down made sense to me when it was explained.
9/16/10 3:26 PM
Dempster
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was at a seminar by Ajarn Chai a few weeks back... and I could have sworn that he said two things that apply to this discussion.
I believe he advocated toes up and not only that, but to also angle the leg so that you take more on the muscle just outside of the shin.

This is the first I had been taught that. It was my first time at his seminars so I could have definitely misunderstood what he was saying though.

Personally I always aim my knee / top part of my shin at where I think the kick is landing and it seems that area has thicker bone and is less sensitive.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.