UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Any Advice For Finding a Legal Job?

4/27/10 10:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HaMMerHouseFAN
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know the market sucks right now but was wondering if anyone has any advice for finding a legal job? I'm in Ohio if that helps. What about the legal job boards similar to monster.com like legalhire.com or something like that?

Any help is appreciated
4/28/10 12:50 PM
goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what is your profession
4/28/10 10:12 PM
HaMMerHouseFAN
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm graduating law school in about a week :-/

I've interned at two prosecutors office and have some trial experience and am currently helping with a murder case....both office don't have any openings although one might have one the beginning of 2011. I'm not averse to taking a non legal job as well if there is a good chance I can join their legal department later.
4/29/10 2:40 PM
goku

i did not have a job lined up after 3L and basically mass emailed millions of firms...just searched martindale for firms within certain sizes in areas i wanted to live..went to their website, clicked on "recruiting" and modified my cover letter/resume accordingly...

not sure if that method will work for everyone,but it worked for me...
4/29/10 2:44 PM
goku

also, if you want to practice law i would highly advise that you do NOT take a non-legal full time job unless u are desperate for money
4/29/10 2:51 PM
HaMMerHouseFAN

what is this martindale? Thanks for the ifo so far goku
4/30/10 2:52 PM
HaMMerHouseFAN

Thanks turducken
5/5/10 3:40 PM
PrettyBoy
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The mass email shit is useless at the moment. The Market is frozen for new grads who didn't somehow lock up a associateship in school.  In fact many of my friends who locked up a position have been let go since they were the lowest apple on the tree when the cuts came down.  

My advice is to try and negotiate deals with solos and smaller firms to do work for them for space/ experience at very very low prices. Make it worth their while.   Eventually you can use those contacts to create a stream of referrals once they know you can perform work with competence. It also give you the opportunity to do hearings / deps and other things which will allow you to keep growing your contact base.  

Then when a spot becomes open - attorneys will know you may be available and that you don't need much start up time - you can hit the ground running.  But in the meantime you are still eating.

5/14/10 1:20 PM
Xtina

travel back in time to 2006.
5/19/10 7:10 PM
goku

u dont sound entitled at all...your situation SUCKS man...sorry
5/19/10 11:43 PM
salyer36
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/16/10 10:41 AM
edit
6/21/10 8:13 AM
Dcastillo
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CDO is correct my friend.

Im even lower in the feeding line, I graduated with two BA's one in criminal justice and one in public administration this past december, I had a legal job processing foreclosures before I graduated, I started looking for a new job in February in preparation of me getting laid off the beginning of this month.

No fucking luck yet.

And I live in Miami, shit I even asked cookie monster if he needs a PL.
6/21/10 2:59 PM
salyer36
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/20/11 12:11 AM
6/22/10 7:17 AM
Subadie

Sorry about your situation CDO.

What about temp legal work ? This used to be a very popular for those who either want part time work or are "between jobs," and with the economy starting to pick up, you'd think there might be more.
6/22/10 1:39 PM
salyer36

edit
6/22/10 1:43 PM
salyer36

Edited: 06/22/10 1:46 PM
http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/lawclerks/

New Jersey bar membership or residency is not a requirement. I doubt they will not accept you simply because you barred in a different state.

I would use the family excuse as to why you are applying in NJ.
6/23/10 2:50 PM
salyer36

edit
6/23/10 10:57 PM
RexKwonDo
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Any Advice For Finding an Illegal Job" would be a much more interesting thread...
6/27/10 11:07 AM
Lucificate

Its tough man, there are no good answers.

Basically, start your own office or shoot for some low paying public legal job.

I started own place with brother, but we were on track to only net 60k for the year. Not much to divide between two people.

I left him with it and took a low paying trial court staff attorney job for the benefits (just had a baby) and some regular income for a short period of time. Make 43k/year. 60k in debt from school. Drive my mom's old van. Loan repayment on deferment. Cant afford anything. No prospects other than I am well known and liked in the area and have good relationships with the judges. This job helps with that a lot since I basically advise them of what to do.

I feel like law school was the worst decision of my life.
6/28/10 1:05 AM
Shaz

When I was looking for somewhere to go when I wanted to leave my first job, I searched lawjobs.com every day for particular search terms I was interested in, then faxed resumes to every one that came up.  Most only have a fax number, but you can google it to figure out which firm it is.  Over two weeks I sent out about 30-40 resumes, got 3 interviews and one offer (which I accepted).  If you look at that site you'll see there ARE jobs available, you just have to work to get them.  Good luck!

-Shaz!
6/29/10 9:58 AM
Fake Pie
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah if you are entry level right now and never got a job straight out it is going to be tough. The lateral market is opening up but if firms want new hires they seem to just want to go with new graduates. I guess they figure why get someone who is already behind (i.e., earlier class year but zero experience).

Maybe get an LLM so you are fresh (if you can do it for free or near free--don't throw good money after bad, you know).

Sorry, not trying to be depressing. Market sucks.
6/29/10 10:01 AM
Fake Pie
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CDO - I have looked and applied to many non-profit positions, but I have not found a Non-profit organization that is hiring 3Ls right now. Those that have actually responded to me said that they are inundated with resumes from experienced attorneys. It's not like I am just sitting here doing nothing, I have sent out hundreds of resumes, its just that no one wants to hire 3Ls right now because a) hiring is slow anyway and b) there is an oversupply of experienced attorneys.

Also, it is not just me who is down on the legal career of 2010, this is the general consensus. Laid-off attorneys are swooping in and taking all the entry level positions, biding their time until the market recovers. When it does recover, the previously laid-off attorneys will reintegrate into jobs they actually want and the classes of 2011-12 (or later if it is a slow recovery) will start getting the entry level positions as normal. The classes of 2010 (and maybe 2011) will be sh*t out of luck because they didn't do anything for a year +, when gainful employment was not available.

I hope this doesn't sound like a bitch fest, but this is the reality of the situation right now. Like I said I don't think I will be able to get a legal job, and the value of my JD really is stacking up to be zero. I hope I don't sound entitled or anything. I am not trying to say I deserve to be gainfully employed as a lawyer because I went to a "good" law school and got "good" grades. But going to law school, other than being a very expensive 3 year vacation, is really turning out to be a huge mistake. Prospective law students should note that this is a possibility law school offers.

-CDO

I didn't read this before I responded but stories like this are exactly what I was referring to. It just sucks for many 09-10 grads and I am not sure what they will do even when it recovers because, as you said, firms will just hire the then new grads.
6/29/10 11:59 AM
Subadie

Also, dont forget to look at USAJOBS.gov

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.