UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Festival of Weeks

5/10/10 7:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
reverend john
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

toelocku - Joh 6:26 Jesus answered them and said, "Verily, verily, I am saying to you, You are seeking Me, not that you perceived signs, but that you ate of the bread and are satisfied. "
Joh 6:27 Do not work for the food which is perishing, but for the food which is remaining for life eonian, which the Son of Mankind will be giving to you, for this One God, the Father, seals."

Christ did not concern Himself with the 'poor' as were shown here when the poor came back to Him for more food. He dismissed and chastised them for seeking literal bread from Him.

If what you say is true then why would He do this? Why didn't He do this in His younger years? If He didn't do it, and you say this is what He was supposed to be doing then your master is a sinner(God forbid). Christ ministry is about making the poor and sickly like me rich in the knowledge and wisdom of God.

THE POOR YOU HAVE WITH YOU ALWAYS...

that is possibly the worst isogesis I have ever heard

rev
5/10/10 8:35 PM
toelocku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you omitted in what way?
5/10/10 8:36 PM
toelocku

btw 770 sorry for the 'hijack'.
5/10/10 9:03 PM
reverend john
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

well it doesn't really matter since you have already claimed you feel no need to contextualize. With that type of irresponsible bible interpretation you can basically make it mean whatever you want.

rev
5/11/10 1:18 PM
toelocku

Edited: 05/11/10 1:20 PM
contextualization is needed, but not how you understand it. using the bible as the interpretive device, i stay on good soil. no problem, i wont force anything on you.
5/11/10 3:04 PM
reverend john

fine use the bible as an interpretive device. Use the context of the verse in its context, that is biblical. The passage you referred to has nothing to do with feeding the hungry, or not feeding the hungry. Jesus feeds the multitudes with a small portion of food, why? For two reasons, one it was a picture of the agape feast which would become the symbol of Christianity, and two, because they had followed him into the desert and had no access to food. When they approach him in the city, they are not needy, they are looking for a free meal. This is not about poverty. You cannot look at the gigantic multitude of both old and new testament scriptures that say we are told to feed the hungry, take in the stranger, cloth the naked and house the homeless, and dismiss them all in favor of some gnostic belief that Jesus really just cares about our "spiritual" hunger. James, another biblical reference, says point blank, your faith is not faith if you do not practice very real works of charity

rev
5/11/10 4:02 PM
Robert Wynne
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

reverend john - well what do you mean by hold it against you? Are you being faithful to what God himself shows as the example of living? Did Jesus keep the sabbath as a day of rest? Why do you need to work seven days a week? Why can't you work five, and do your running around on the other? Why do we live in a society that makes us live like that? Should we live counter to a society that lives like this?

rev

i tried..and cannot..i always seem to have some chores or something to do on the Sabbath..:(
5/11/10 4:40 PM
toelocku

reverend john - fine use the bible as an interpretive device. Use the context of the verse in its context, that is biblical. The passage you referred to has nothing to do with feeding the hungry, or not feeding the hungry. Jesus feeds the multitudes with a small portion of food, why? For two reasons, one it was a picture of the agape feast which would become the symbol of Christianity, and two, because they had followed him into the desert and had no access to food. When they approach him in the city, they are not needy, they are looking for a free meal. This is not about poverty. You cannot look at the gigantic multitude of both old and new testament scriptures that say we are told to feed the hungry, take in the stranger, cloth the naked and house the homeless, and dismiss them all in favor of some gnostic belief that Jesus really just cares about our "spiritual" hunger. James, another biblical reference, says point blank, your faith is not faith if you do not practice very real works of charity

rev

2Pe 1:20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of scripture at all is becoming its own explanation."

"The passage you referred to has nothing to do with feeding the hungry, or not feeding the hungry."

read it again...they ask for manna because it was the next day and were hungry again, most of these people were far from home, who had come to be healed.

"You cannot look at the gigantic multitude of both old and new testament scriptures that say we are told to feed the hungry, take in the stranger, cloth the naked and house the homeless, and dismiss them all in favor of some gnostic belief that Jesus really just cares about our "spiritual" hunger."

Joh 6:63 The Spirit is that which is vivifying. The flesh is not benefiting anything. The declarations which I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.

Jesus ministry wasn't about feeding the physically hungry, clothing the naked or homeless. He only feed the people were told on a few occasions. His ministry was about preaching the coming of the kingdom, along with repentance...that 'spiritual' stuff.
5/11/10 8:42 PM
reverend john

the kingdom of heaven is feeding the hungry

And no it had nothing to do with being needy, nothing at all. They were in a town, they could easily have gotten food. If you read the gospels, they gave to the poor out of their shared (yes communism) purse. The disciples understood this so well they basically ended poverty amongst them. Your gnostic view is seriously misguided.

rev
5/11/10 11:48 PM
toelocku

ended poverty?

Mat 8:20 And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air [have] nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay [his] head.

think we tried to convince each other enough?

5/12/10 12:11 AM
reverend john

Act 4:34 There were no needy persons among them.
5/12/10 1:04 PM
toelocku

2Co 11:27 in toil and labor, in vigils often, in famine and thirst, in fasts often, in cold and nakedness; "
2Co 11:28 apart from what is outside, that which is coming upon me daily, the solicitude for all the ecclesias. "
5/12/10 7:54 PM
reverend john

So let me see, missionaries out on the mission field are the same as communities of faithful people, caring for their neighbors?

You really don't understand context do you? Nor are you at all open to being corrected, you are just trying to justify something that is unjustifiable

rev
5/12/10 9:20 PM
toelocku

"think we tried to convince each other enough?"

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.