UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Ramps

4/28/10 7:18 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Picked up some ramps at the farmer's market today.

Never made any before... never even tasted them.

First off... do you refrigerate to store?

Any tips and recipes appreciated.

And... are they really as odoriferous as I've heard?
I've heard that teachers used to forbid their students from bringing these for lunch.
4/30/10 9:50 AM
crescentwrench
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I never ate them but they were pretty popular among the folks who enjoy eating stuff they forage out of their yard.  They're supposed to be onion-y but more earthy / grassy I guess?

I think you store them like green onions, just clean them up and throw them in the crisper drawer.

You eat them like green onions too.  Throw them in your scrambled eggs or maybe make a soup?  It was usually more a garnish when people would eat it.

If you eat a ton of them, especially raw, expect to have it streaming out of your pores.
4/30/10 9:32 PM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cut up a 1/2 dozen with a pound of asparagus some olive oil, pepper flakes and salt and pepper... cooked on the grill. Not bad... tad strong.

Next day reheated some at work for lunch. Damn... it stunk up the place!
5/1/10 7:08 AM
Handsomejaws
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Kevin, ramps are a delicacy here in western North Carolina. Lot's of great ways to cook with them.Ramps can be super pungent if picked early enough, the more mature the ramp the less kick it has.

Sauteed ramps and eggs
Sauteed ramps and fried potatoes
ramps burgers
ramp meatloaf
5/1/10 7:29 PM
Extendo
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They are basically wild leeks. I use them for soups, and throw in a couple with a few other veggies if I am doing a pot roast.
5/4/10 11:57 PM
rerox
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if you like pickles i suggest pickling the bulbs and charring the greens for pasta....really easy....
5/5/10 10:10 AM
shibbytastic
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rerox - if you like pickles i suggest pickling the bulbs and charring the greens for pasta....really easy....

yeah i made a nice pasta by tossing ramps and cowslips in to a simple olive oil sauce

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.