UnderGround Forums

Football Ground >> Messi's HYPE compared with Ronaldo in 96-97?

4/29/10 12:46 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jwizard
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For those who remember Ronaldo vividly from his Barcelona and early Inter Milan days: how does the current Messi hype (consensus best player, some say could become greatest) compare with that of Ronaldo circa 96-98 when he had won the FIFA WPOY twice before turning 22?
4/29/10 12:47 AM
Jwizard

Also, feel free to compare them as players as 22 year olds.
4/30/10 11:10 AM
Govnor

I think Messi is getting more hype than any player ever has, and rightly so. He's that good. Of course, he is human and when the game plan is good enough and the defense is good enough, he'll have a tough time, like any star in any sport.
5/9/10 2:27 PM
1 2 3 ACE
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ronaldo was better in that short period of time than Messi is now. Ronaldo would never have been bullied and completely erased from the game like Messi was in the two Inter games. It's a shame how it went for Ronaldo following that time though, such a waste of talent. The World Cup Final of 1998 was very bizarre indeed.

Messi is a great, great player, one of the finest of his generation. But way overhyped. As far as pure natural ability, yes he is one of the best ever. But having no physicality whatsoever is such a big disadvantage. The two Inter games were absolutely perfect for proving some of the points I made on that other thread.
6/5/10 4:17 AM
KingOfFighters

I was too young too remember ronaldos early days, but I do remember seeing him at the final against brazil. As of today, messi has done nothing for his country and is heavily heavily criticized in argentina. Ronaldo currently holds the record for goals scored in a world cup at 15, and I doubt messi will match that record. I like messi but only time will tell of his legacy, he's expected to fill maradonas shoes, but those are impossible shoes to fill. He won a world cup by himself.
6/6/10 6:24 PM
stinkman

1 2 3 ACE - Messi is a great, great player, one of the finest of his generation. But way overhyped. As far as pure natural ability, yes he is one of the best ever.

YOU are saying he is one of the finest of his generation and one of the best ever but way overhyped?

His hype is deserved. Does it automatically crown him the greatest of all time? No. But he is widely considered the best on the planet for a reason.

Saying all that, the hype around Messi is bigger than the attention Ronaldo got in part because of the media. If Ronaldo was in his prime today I think he would get more attention. Back then the internet was barely getting started and satellite TV with 500 sports stations didnt exist.
6/7/10 9:46 AM
1 2 3 ACE
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, it does make sense. There was a considerable number of people that - following his complete arse-raping of a weak Arsenal defence - were saying that he was the best player ever, simple as. I said based on 'natural ability' he is one of the best ever. There's a big difference between saying that and saying flat out that he's the best player ever, since natural ability takes no account of physicality - which is Messi's big weakness.

That is what I mean when I say he's way overhyped. As KOF says above, he has done next to nothing on the international scene, which makes it all the more ludicrous.

I agree on that last paragraph regarding the internet.

People put way too much stock in technical ability in my eyes. Look at Diego Milito, does he get a fraction of the recognition of a Messi? No, he doesn't have the same natural ability, but anyone with a clue knows who was the more effective player in the European Cup this season.
2/3/12 2:33 AM
Jons Forsberg

Edited: 01/12/13 2:38 AM
2/3/12 3:36 AM
Jons Forsberg

how did this old thread end up at the top of the OG today???
6/2/12 4:02 PM
Lobo8

Edited: 06/02/12 4:02 PM
Its hard to really say but messi is definetly the best right now
6/26/12 7:47 PM
Andy the man

Ronaldihno in his Barca days was a boss as well.
7/31/12 9:33 AM
Huntsman
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Last season he became Barca's highest ever goalscorer at 24 years old, scored 73 goals (50 in la liga) and 29 assists from 60 apps, and has won too many club honours to mention.

How can any player who has achieved that be "over hyped?"

I always think it's hard to compare players from different era's, and agree that Ronaldo in his prime was definitely on a similar level to Messi in his current prime. But for me, I would have to say Messi over the last 4 seasons or so, has been the best player to ever play the game.

Whether or not he will go down in history as the best ever I think is dependant on if he can keep his current form going over the next 3/4 seasons!!!
7/31/12 9:35 AM
Huntsman
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Andy the man - Ronaldihno in his Barca days was a boss as well.

^^^^^This also.^^^^^
1/11/13 11:21 PM
Takedown

One thing's for sure, Barca got a hell of a deal acquiring Messi from Newell's Old Boys.
1/12/13 3:19 AM
KingOfFighters

Takedown - One thing's for sure, Barca got a hell of a deal acquiring Messi from Newell's Old Boys.

newells didnt want to pay, barca was willing to......wasn't a deal to be made of when a scout put his name on the line for a 12 year old

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.