UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> Time management

5/1/10 1:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Road Warrior Fin
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does anyone else ever kick themselves to realize how much time they waste every single day when you could be killing it at the books?

What about the money you've spent on dumb shit when you could have sent yourself to a 2-week class every few months to start ramping up?

I have wasted more time in the last 6 months that I would like to have ever admitted too and just thinking about things.

I'd like to think after racking my brain about it that I'll change my ways - Maybe start getting on my aderall again.  There is no reason for me to be sub-par or to slack and not to keep raising the price of my stock.  I'm 4 classes away from my BS.  I have the ability to finish my CCNP/CCSP/CCWP(wireless) and to really understand it.

Why can't I be the guy with the MBA and the CCIE?  I don't have a family, I don't have a wife and I have way too much free time sitting at home due to my new job.  Fuck.

*rant off*
5/1/10 3:31 PM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a full time + job, a wife, and am a cunt hair away from my CCIE. I'm not gonna lie and say its just a matter of putting in time. But time management is key, you need to be disciplined about it.

Just start small, I mean real small. 2 weeks to a month, spend 1/2 an hour a day. Thats it. HALF AN HOUR. Ramp it up to an hour a day after a month or two, just make the study progressive, not just random.

Do it first before you fuck around on the web. I love fucking around on the web but you do the work first and you get the reward after.

You don't need drugs to do it. I'm pretty prone to distraction, but this isn't exactly iron discipline type stuff. An hour a day, a few longer sessions on the weekend.
5/4/10 7:38 AM
asdf
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Slacker is right. Discipline. Why do you smoke? Discipline.

Except at top top levels, it's not brains or how rich your parents were. You can rise above others with better talent and better beginnings if you are willing to pay the price to get there and willing to pay the price to stay there.

5/4/10 11:57 AM
gitbox
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Outlook calendar is the key to my success.
5/5/10 7:52 PM
P.V.Jena
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you have an iPhone? I've been using this app, eternity. I basically created all the relevant categories of time spent in my life, work/research/class/driving/sleeping and 20 other things. Every time I"m doing something, I choose an activity and an automatic timer goes off - keeps logs for every day/week/month and shows these pie-charts of how you've spent your time for each time scale.

Its only been 10 days but I'm finding it very helpful to know how much actual work I do vs take breaks/talk with people/mma.tv etc.

http://www.komorian.com/eternity.html

I'm sure there are similar apps for all smartphones.

5/30/10 3:07 PM
rfquinn
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for that, Jena...I've wanted to do something like that for awhile now.
5/31/10 6:36 PM
crobrun
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

P.V.Jena - Do you have an iPhone? I've been using this app, eternity. I basically created all the relevant categories of time spent in my life, work/research/class/driving/sleeping and 20 other things. Every time I"m doing something, I choose an activity and an automatic timer goes off - keeps logs for every day/week/month and shows these pie-charts of how you've spent your time for each time scale.

Its only been 10 days but I'm finding it very helpful to know how much actual work I do vs take breaks/talk with people/mma.tv etc.

<a href="http://www.komorian.com/eternity.html">http://www.komorian.com/eternity.html
</a>

I'm sure there are similar apps for all smartphones.

Know if there is something like that for BB
7/1/10 3:36 PM
SirPrize
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The OG and video games are my biggest distractions. If I were to spend just 1/4 of my OG/game time studying, I would be a guru in 2 or 3 additional languages.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.