UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> Website software advice

5/6/10 1:13 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
azmatt
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have some html/css experience and a decent amount of php experience, but on an intranet environment. All development stuff, no design.

I told a friend of mine that I would help her build a website for an idea she has. My original idea was to decide on wordpress or joomla, figure out what I was doing with those and stand it up.

Today she mentioned that she was forums, a members only section etc. Much more of trying to build a community then a standard site. My question is, are wordpress or joomla appropriate for this "complicated" of a site. Beyond wordpress' blog capabilities, I'm really not to familiar with either one. I'm not worried about figuring out what I'm doing, I just wanted to make sure I was starting down the right path.

5/12/10 12:17 PM
outofalignment
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joomla is very extensible. That being said. I like the simplicity of Wordpress. There are a ton of plugins to make it entensible and give u a members only section. For a forum i would like somthing like phpboard to it.. there is a bridge plugin for that as well.
5/13/10 1:55 AM
azmatt
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the advice!  I ended up going with Joomla and so far so good. I almost ended up going wordpress just beacuse it seems like everyone is using it and a thriving community is always a good thing.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.