UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> The radical gospel of Matthew's Jesus part 1

5/6/10 8:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
reverend john
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Please go to my blog and discuss at johnthereverend.com btw, I MADE A MISTAKE ON THE VIDEO!!! When I said the name David equals the number fourteen, what I meant to say was that if you add up the numbers for davids name d v d it equals 14 think the production was a little better, but I wish I had a camera and an editing program, that took me seven takes rev
5/6/10 10:38 PM
martial_shadow
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1- WOW! :) seriously

2- Thank you for the emphasis on context.

3- When did you start looking at the text like a Jew would? The triple repeat of 14 with clear gaps in lineage, the totaly out of place names- these were things I actually wondered about the first time I picked up a King James. I was looking at this and went "HEY! THIS MAKES NO SENSE!". I even got my dad to look to make sure I wasn't messing up our geneaology and we were both quite surprised to find out huge generations had been skipped.

4- David does equal 14 but which word for Empire/Kingdom are you using? There are multiple ones in Hebrew and the ones that come to mind are not equal to 14 or 42. I would be curious because if the author did include a true Gematria I would be very impressed. My question would be why not include king (equals to 90) (yes I know you arenot the author).

5- please keep going. I ahvn't been this excited about a religious text in YEARS. The only thing that even gets me going now is contrasting the various Roman Stoics.
5/6/10 10:59 PM
reverend john
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

glad you are liking it

I guess I mispoke, 14 had nothing to do with Empire or king. The point was that Matthew was tying Jesus to David, as an heir. Jesus is the king. This is a continuing theme throughout the gospel, and the kingdom of heaven (empire of heaven) is the central point upon which everything else revolves.

I have read a number of books that helped me to understand how to read the scripture from within its cultural and socio political history. Probably the most important was the challenge of Jesus by N T Wright a first century Palestine historian, and biblical theologian

rev
5/7/10 10:04 AM
ECWCock
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
6/21/10 2:34 PM
JasonKeaton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for posting these videos
6/21/10 8:27 PM
reverend john

you are welcome

should be one a week til matthew is finished

rev

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.