UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> IT consultant hourly rate

5/7/10 7:11 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
juszczec
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi folks

What is the average hourly rate for an IT consultant with 10 years experience in Java/J2EE work?

I've been asked to provide an hourly rate for a side job. I'm a full time employee at a software company and haven't a clue what is a reasonable rate.
5/7/10 2:13 PM
gitbox
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get as much as you can.

I've seen guys with 10 years Java experience get billed out at anywhere from $50-300/hr.

I once worked for a few weeks swapping out memory all day and the bill rate was $75/hr so rates can vary greatly.
5/7/10 5:33 PM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How much do you want to make, and how much do you think they won't pay? Something above the former and below the latter.

Dunno about coders, but 10+ years of experience for network guys is in the $100-$200 range depending on the work and specialization.
5/9/10 10:14 PM
drixx2
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It really really has a lot to do with your location. Also, length of contract can play a factor.

Example: I live in st. louis, and i can normally get anywhere from 45-60 hr for .net work.

Someone in cali or NY would laugh at that rate, but it's pretty good here.
5/12/10 10:25 PM
OneScoup
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Back in the day you took your salary as a full-timer then divided by 1,000 for the rate. The logic being minus 2 weeks holidays if you can work 50% of the time you make the same. So $50,000/2000 = $50/hr.

That being said I've been out of the consulting game for 6 or 7 years and 2 years ago when I checked out the going rates they were very depressed from "back in the day."

Contract length does also vary the rate.
5/17/10 12:34 PM
mauler

An easy way to find out your hourly rate:

Let's say you make 100,000 a year at your full time job.
Remove the last 3 zero's and then divide the number by 2.
So a person that makes 100k full time, their hourly rate is $50 an hour.

Now typically full time employee's have benefits (health, 401k, etc...). If your looking for side work, you should be easily be able to figure out what you are worth by using this simple formula; however, if you are deciding to leave your full time position and just do consulting work solely you will have to raise your $50 an hour rate to something higher to cover your additional expenses like health and retirement savings.
5/17/10 6:14 PM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^ That is WAY low. I'm right around that pay rate and my employer bills me at $200/hr. I do side work for $150/hr and if its a friend as low as $100/hr. No way in hell I'd whore myself out at $50/hr.
5/18/10 3:40 PM
MuaySteve
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Check out something like this article, it will give you some ideas on how to come up with the appropriate number.

http://www.kevinboss.com/blog/how-much-should-i-charge-my-clients/
5/28/10 6:48 AM
NinjaNate

OP did you get any figures on this? I'm a Java/J2EE consultant as well and I'd like to get a rough idea of how much the going rate is in the US.

5/28/10 10:07 PM
drixx2
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ah, excuse me...i thought you meant for a contract for a company or a full time position.

Shit...if you were just doing side work, I'd take as much as you can get. I'd start out around 200/hr.

Still, same rules apply (location and estimate length).

I've seen people give a 'full rate' (ie, give me 10k for this entire project), but you'll have to nail down some hard set requirements though..otherwise you can have some knucklehead asking for sky-and-moon additions.
6/3/10 11:00 AM
mauler

big_slacker - ^^ That is WAY low. I'm right around that pay rate and my employer bills me at $200/hr. I do side work for $150/hr and if its a friend as low as $100/hr. No way in hell I'd whore myself out at $50/hr.

This what your company bills you at to its clients. It doesn't meant this is what you get; If it is, all the power to you.

My formula was just to estimate an hourly rate according to your yearly income. This being said, I didn't not state that you should do consulting work for 50 an hour, especially if you live in the North East.
6/3/10 2:27 PM
big_slacker

Read again, the company bills me at $200 but I do indeed get $150/hr for my own stuff.

You said right here:

"So a person that makes 100k full time, their hourly rate is $50 an hour."

I took that to mean thats what you should ask for as an hourly consulting rate?
6/26/10 6:08 PM
Brian Davis

ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.