UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Any JAG officers around these parts?

5/8/10 9:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
littleguy
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll be a 1L this fall and was thinking about pursing JAG. I'm not sure what branch would be best for me or what I should be doing in my first year to start working towards getting a position. Anyone out there with helpful tips?
5/9/10 11:45 AM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Talk to career services.
5/10/10 12:09 AM
Fake Pie
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/10/10 12:09 AM
419 - Talk to career services.

This and each branch has JAG info on their website. Obviously you are going to need to be much more physically fit for the Marine Corps than the Air Force. You should also consider how much you really want to be in a military type lifestyle. If not very much, you probably want... the Air Force.

Also, it may surprise you that these are pretty competitive programs. They are very selective.
5/10/10 5:20 AM
halcyonday
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Even before the recession, becoming a JAG officer was competitive. I believe the Army received over 1200 applications for 125 slots. Now, because of the recession and the fact that the Army and Air Force instituted a $65k loan repayment program, getting a JAG slot has become even more competitive.

My advice to you would be to keep your grades up and stay in shape. You have no idea how much the latter affects your chances.
5/13/10 2:59 PM
aboveandbeyond
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's very competitive.

Navy seems to be the most popular branch -- best locations (I think).

Marines is somewhat different than the others with the "soldier first, lawyer second" attitude.

From what I have seen and heard, it's an awesome and enjoyable experience that leaves you with plenty of options later down the road.
5/13/10 8:50 PM
halcyonday
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From what I've heard, Navy is the WORST branch to be a JAG officer.

All branches have the soldier first, lawyer second attitude. The Marines emphasize it bit more given that, relatively speaking, it maintains higher physical standards and requires its JAGs to go to The Basic School.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.