UnderGround Forums

Kickboxing UnderGround >> Reviews on Thai Pads....

5/9/10 9:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ninja316
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ok so heres the deal.... im looking to buy a good pair of thai pads for myself to use with my pro fighters. and i want to get a pair that will last me a long time. there are a couple different pairs that i am currently looking at. and i figured id bounce my ideas off you guys to see what you say.

from combat sports: the micro thai pads. the new bomber curved thai pads. and the everlast mma leather thai pads.
from revgear: the tactical curved leather thai pads by master toddy. those are $200.00 but they are used by trainers like rob kaman and other great guys.

if anyone has any personal experience with any of these it would help greatly.
5/10/10 8:28 AM
Khun Kao
1260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CSI's Micro Thai Pads

I have used CSI's Thai pads, though not this specific model. In my experience, the pads are decent, but if you're looking for durability, you may want to look elsewhere. In my experience, the velcro wears out first, followed by the stitching.
5/10/10 8:29 AM
Khun Kao
1260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Bomber Curved Thai Pad

See comments above re: CSI's Thai pads
5/10/10 8:34 AM
Khun Kao

Everlast leather MMA Thai Pad:

These intrigue me. I admittedly have no experience with them, but Everlast products can be real hit or miss. Some of Everlast's top end stuff is superb, while their lower end stuff is crap. From the picture, they look well constucted. Keep asking around.....
5/10/10 8:41 AM
Khun Kao

Master Toddy's Tactical Curve Thai Pads:

Ew. They're ugly. The video of Kaman using them is shitty, you can barely see shit because the cameraperson never focuses on the actual striking. Other than that, this is the first time I've actually seen them, but despite how ugly/bulky they look, they also intrigue me. They look well constructed, but I guess it boils down to your own personal style of padwork. The 'bulkiness' of their construction would make me shy away from them before I ever saw the price, which is a "dagger" IMO
5/10/10 8:42 AM
Khun Kao

Why are there outlines of a fist and ball of foot on the pads?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Does anyone actually need a "punch/kick here" sign?!??
5/10/10 8:48 AM
Khun Kao

As long as you're asking for recommendations, if you want to buy quality Thai pads that will last you a long time, the two brands that make the consistently best product are Windy & Twins. I've used both and they are awesome!

The other recommendation I would make is to be on the lookout for any resellers that have any backstock of Permabilt pads.... Permabilt Thai pads are probably the best Thai pads I have ever owned. They have lasted me FOREVER! I have a Thai pad that has lasted 20 years and has next to no wear & tear! Unfortunately, this company had constructed their fight gear so well that it never wore out and never needed to be replaced. Therefore, they went out of business years ago....
5/10/10 12:53 PM
Bryan72
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've held a pair of the rev gear pads before, they work great if the person kicking is a 110 lbs. girl. If anyone is heavier....ouch. They don't absorb all that well.
5/10/10 4:03 PM
glock4life
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/10/10 4:05 PM
 The Csi Micro's aren't too bad except sometimes with big HWT's. They are definately good if you emphasize more hands and elbows over leg kicks. They've held up pretty good for the past 3 years or so, but they're not my primary "go-to" pads.

If  I could only get one set, i'd go with the larger standard style thai pads. I have a set of CSI full size pads that I use more and seem very durable.

5/10/10 5:34 PM
Ryukyu Damashi
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Boon Sport Small Thai Pads

These are mine. I will never go back to using large pads again. Single straps are the way to go...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d163/matthewjnielsen/4ef75d4e.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d163/matthewjnielsen/1b0d0055.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d163/matthewjnielsen/8c7e602c.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d163/matthewjnielsen/c13c5158.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d163/matthewjnielsen/c65feb73.jpg
5/10/10 7:31 PM
Normal MT
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I still got 2 pair of Perma-Bilts, a lite pair and a heavy pair of 9 lbers. And 3 large kicking sheilds to boot.
5/11/10 12:20 AM
ninja316

i also started looking at the twins leather pads. the small size. which are 13 x 6 1/2 x 3. which seem to be just as small as the csi micro pads. i did want to find the fairtex ones that are the smallest version of them. but i dont think they make them anymore. i know most of the ones they make now are the 14 or 15in ones which i dont want. i need something small and portable because i have to corner guys almost every weekend.
5/11/10 1:55 AM
Bryan72
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ryukyu Damashi - Boon Sport Small Thai Pads

Ryukyu how do the small boons compare with the medium Boons? How much smaller are they? I know it's hard to tell by the picture alone, but they actually look wider than the medium Boons.

5/11/10 4:00 AM
OUTCOLD
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol at those first pads you can tell they are shit just by looking at them !

Twins ,Fairtex and boon are all great in my experience, spend the money and you will have them for years
5/11/10 8:40 AM
Khun Kao

5/11/10 8:47 AM
Ryukyu Damashi

Edited: 05/11/10 8:51 AM
I don't think they are wider.

Here they are side by side with the mediums. I took this photo in the Boon shop in BKK.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d163/matthewjnielsen/d0377e0d.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d163/matthewjnielsen/eb74fe38.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d163/matthewjnielsen/785a3e64.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d163/matthewjnielsen/d91ea95b.jpg
5/11/10 12:20 PM
Khun Kao

5/11/10 4:19 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BOON! 
5/11/10 5:45 PM
StephenL
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

is it safe to say stay away from any company that has popped up in the last 10 years?

i kicked a windy banana bag last week. way too soft. needed more filling. i have a ringside leather that's just as light.

stephen
5/11/10 5:46 PM
StephenL

used to buy fairtex gear for my now closed school ten years ago. james wong took care of me.

stephen
5/11/10 5:57 PM
BigSifu

I use windy. Also KO fightgear stuff is really good...
5/11/10 10:23 PM
HoustonTexas

http://fighttrends.com/wp-content/thumbnails/747.jpg

These are great to hold and strike.

5/12/10 1:18 AM
Bryan72

StephenL - is it safe to say stay away from any company that has popped up in the last 10 years?

i kicked a windy banana bag last week. way too soft. needed more filling. i have a ringside leather that's just as light.

stephen

Windy has been around forever
5/12/10 8:04 AM
StephenL

i'm aware of Windy's longevity. just was expecting a harder bag.

stephen
5/12/10 8:30 AM
Khun Kao

Meh, even though a lot of the brands "look" alike, they vary in construction. I like Windy's tear-drop bag for knees (though it is soft) and their 60 lb heavybag (which is harder).

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.