UnderGround Forums

Kickboxing UnderGround >> Reviews on Thai Pads....

5/12/10 10:31 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
IronMonkey
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Bomber Curved Thai Pad looks exactly like the Top King Pro. First attempt to post pics below as a blue namer. Anybody have any experience with Top King pads?

5/12/10 10:42 AM
Primo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have to say inspite of all the good feedback on Boon pads, i really dislike them. I opened my school 2yrs ago and bought 6pairs of the Boon medium pads. The handles broke down very quickly, the edges are sharp, and the padding was never very obsorbant(sp?). After 2yrs the edges are STILL really sharp...to the point of being uncomfortable to kick.

In the last year ive bought 6pairs of Kings Medium size and they are GREAT! I have no experience with the King curved pads, but the straight pads obsorb fantasticly, the handles are strong and they have held up very well.
5/12/10 1:33 PM
Ryukyu Damashi
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Primo - I have to say inspite of all the good feedback on Boon pads, i really dislike them. I opened my school 2yrs ago and bought 6pairs of the Boon medium pads. The handles broke down very quickly, the edges are sharp, and the padding was never very obsorbant(sp?). After 2yrs the edges are STILL really sharp...to the point of being uncomfortable to kick.

In the last year ive bought 6pairs of Kings Medium size and they are GREAT! I have no experience with the King curved pads, but the straight pads obsorb fantasticly, the handles are strong and they have held up very well.

Yeah, that was a problem with the Boon, the edges were way to hard, but they have that sorted out now. The padding is fine now also. You can feel the kick, but nothing I can't deal with.

I have a pair of the medium King curved pads, they are good, but I like my small Boon much better.

Here is a picture of the King Curved Pads.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d163/matthewjnielsen/IMG_0489.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d163/matthewjnielsen/IMG_0488.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d163/matthewjnielsen/IMG_0483.jpg

I almost bought a pad of the new Fairtex pads while I was at Fairtex Pattaya last month. Just didn't have the need.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d163/matthewjnielsen/4908f78b.jpg
5/12/10 7:39 PM
Khun Kao
1300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here is a picture of the King Curved Pads.

I almost bought a pad of the new Fairtex pads while I was at Fairtex Pattaya last month. Just didn't have the need.

5/12/10 11:47 PM
sevenone
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Boon end of discussion IMO
5/13/10 7:43 AM
OctaviousBP

I love my Boon gear, but I have to agree with Primo on his comments regarding the filling in the kick pads. I have the mediums, and find that anyone over 145pds kicking them can murder the forearms. No issue with longevity or sharpness of corners yet.

For feel, I like the Thaismai, although the stitching has come a part on one of my pads after only 2 years. Although for 1500 baht, i got decent value out of them.
5/13/10 8:39 AM
Khun Kao
1300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, I had a bunch of ThaiSmai gear that lasted me for years and years....

ThaiSmai makes great shorts.

ThaiSmai's Gloves, Thai pads, and belly pads are all pretty decent, especially for the price.

I positively hate ThaiSmai's shinguards, though. The buckles/fasteners ALWAYS come apart.

How about Inter brand gear? I've got some Inter shorts, which were my favorite brand up until getting some Boon shorts.
5/13/10 10:06 AM
Khun Kao

Another Thai brand that intersts me is "W" brand... I've heard good things about it, but never gotten to sample anything
5/13/10 11:46 AM
Ryukyu Damashi
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

W brand is made for Sor.Vorapin gym. I looked at some of their stuff in 2007 and the leather seemed cheap and thin.
5/13/10 10:23 PM
Skpotamus
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/14/10 6:27 AM
Khun Kao - As long as you're asking for recommendations, if you want to buy quality Thai pads that will last you a long time, the two brands that make the consistently best product are Windy & Twins. I've used both and they are awesome!

The other recommendation I would make is to be on the lookout for any resellers that have any backstock of Permabilt pads.... Permabilt Thai pads are probably the best Thai pads I have ever owned. They have lasted me FOREVER! I have a Thai pad that has lasted 20 years and has next to no wear & tear! Unfortunately, this company had constructed their fight gear so well that it never wore out and never needed to be replaced. Therefore, they went out of business years ago....

Weren't these permabilts by a different name? http://www.goldentiger.com/shop/shop_info.html?disp_id=001003&prod_id=P95022649352861061&pn=1&sub_id=001003003&listg=gosub I picked up a couple of pairs of them, one lighter, one heavy, they looked and felt like my pair of permabuilts. The heavy ones work great as leg shields for full power kicking.
5/17/10 5:49 PM
SanshiroSugata
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like the fairtex thaipads with the small strip of air-cushion along where the forearm of the padholder goes.
6/12/10 8:29 AM
Rick Screeton
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the new fairtex

6/12/10 7:52 PM
KendrickJ

I LOVE Twin. I had a pair for 11 years beforeI had to toss them.
6/14/10 1:26 AM
The Hyena
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Khun Kao -

these are the best pads ive owned so far... (even though i stole em from Kevin Ross)
2/12/11 8:23 PM
DevinS
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

man, Boon stuff always looks so smooth..next time I'm in Thailand I gotta get over to the Boon shop
2/21/11 7:46 PM
The Sauce
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I bought MTG "synthetic leather" thai pads a few months ago and they are already breaking down?!?!? the "leather" is starting to rip in little places and when you hit them they have started to have little pieces of fabric come out and get on your floor, shirt and eyes, I call it "snowing"..... I like the feel of these but I am beginning to wonder if I will even get 1 year out of them! and for the price, I refused to repalce them every year.... not happy with this product which has a good rep.

I like the feel of the fairtex pads but I do think they are too soft and expensive.

I have a small pair of Windy curved pads but I have found that guys with heavy kicks can chew up your arms pretty fast, but I do prefer these over the others I have used so far.
4/20/11 2:30 AM
x FOX x
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can buy boon stuff here from boonusa Phone Post
4/24/11 2:34 AM
Ryukyu Damashi

I just picked up two more sets of small Boon pads and a belly pad at the Boon shop in Bangkok. I also had the owner make me a custom Boon heavy bag, which he had made the same day. Full leather 50 inches and extra wide. Work of art. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.