UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> I have questions for any SESAC/ASCAP/BMI members

5/10/10 5:24 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BarkLikeADog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone here actually getting royalties for anything? I have some questions regarding your opinions of your organization's quality of service.
5/17/10 7:28 PM
Thelonious

It's shit service and impossible to properly verify that you are receiving what is owed imo, but it is what it is. Most of my quarterlies come from SOCAN, being Canadian, but BMI has always been pretty good in comparison. Bigger, more organized and better support

It depends what you are talking about as well. I think BMI is pretty good with pure licensing, but radio play royalties are complicated and unverifiable; you basically have to trust the statement they send. My wife is an accountant and can barely understand the process

5/17/10 10:31 PM
TheBlazilian
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FUUUUUUCK NO! Although, I've gotten better pay at ASCAP venues.... deferred by 3 months.
5/20/10 6:22 AM
BarkLikeADog

OK, t, you're talking exactly where I want to go with this. If a new org came out with a freely open & verifiable process, would you be willing to jump ship? I'm thinking just about anyone who isn't a big boy shitting on the little guys would be into that.
5/20/10 6:23 AM
BarkLikeADog

I'm not sure what you're saying, B.
5/21/10 4:09 PM
TheBlazilian
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BarkLikeADog - OK, t, you're talking exactly where I want to go with this. If a new org came out with a freely open & verifiable process, would you be willing to jump ship? I'm thinking just about anyone who isn't a big boy shitting on the little guys would be into that.

Realistically, I see it as more of a means to bust artists that sample other ASCAP artists shit and are dumb enough to try and claim it for royalties.

On the small scale, small fish don't really need ASCAP/BMI/SESAC. If you can't track your units on a limited release, chances are you'll just be taken when larger numbers are put up.
5/21/10 4:24 PM
BarkLikeADog

Blazilian, I don't think you & I are talking in the same universe.
5/25/10 12:55 AM
BarkLikeADog

Thelonious?
5/27/10 7:29 AM
GracieDisc
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's def not all it's cracked up to be, and I can see how it can be shady.

My royalty checks have been nice, and at just the right time. I'm with ASCAP.

5/27/10 7:53 AM
BarkLikeADog

^So, same question: If a new org came along with a more accurate & open system, would you switch?
5/27/10 7:54 AM
GracieDisc
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Absolutely.
5/31/10 4:04 PM
Thelonious

BarkLikeADog - ^So, same question: If a new org came along with a more accurate & open system, would you switch?

I honestly wouldn't BLAD. Maybe after several years of operation and a growing reputation for tremendous customer service.

BMI is a non profit so I have to trust they are accurate. The quarterlies I get are unverifiable, but I don;t see a way to improve that, so a start-up would be providing the exact same service without the 60 or 70 years experience and industry standing.

That said, it sounds like you are talking a lot more about live venue licensing, which I don't know much about but would assume having a local office dealing with local acts on smaller stages would be preferable.
8/10/10 3:27 PM
That Guy in the Back
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/2 of my band is BMI, the other are ASCAP. They are both very similar. We've compared earnings, and they've always been correct. We had a bunch of licensing to MTV, Kardashians, and some commercial stuff and made a little bit of cash.

Check out: www.myspace.com/fallbackplanband

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.