UnderGround Forums

Australasia UnderGround >> BJJ Ref's Clinic

5/11/10 6:45 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
chris82
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

anyone know who puts these on and when they run? I"m guessing the guys running the events are always looking for volunteers. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.
5/11/10 9:20 PM
JSho
301 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe the AFBJJ could put one on before the upcoming QLD & NSW State championships?
5/20/10 11:27 PM
armbarcrashdummy

I don't think there so much needs to be clinics, but for people to actually read the Federation rules before reffing.

Just my $0.02.
5/25/10 3:55 AM
angus friend

We did one before the QLD state champs. Had about 20 people attend. Not sure about the NSW states, Bruno would be the one to talk to.
5/29/10 2:37 AM
andrewn

I've never had the opportunity to attend a clinic, but IMO the best wat to learn is download and study the IBJJF rules and get in and have a go.

If you're really keen, get a whole lot of matches on video and ref them. If the vids show the ref awarding points as well, that's even better as you can compare your decisions with theirs. Jeff Glover's comp footage of his deep half guard DVD are a great example of suitable matches.

If you want the "total immersion" experience, get a whole lot of guys to yell at you in both English and Portuguese while you're doing it, and other guys to try to argue with you, optionally with a hand held video camera as evidence, about your decisions after the match ;)
6/5/10 10:46 PM
bjjbb

Hi Chris,

If you are in NSW come to the Federation comps and we can give you a full training and experience in our events.
We have a refs and rules meeting 1h before the event where we go thru all rules and also questions from the staff and instructors about it.
New refs start scoring the fights to understand the system and situations watching and helping the refs staying on the score table
After that you can start ref the kids because its easier then next comp you can go to ref white belts and improve a lot until you are ready and ref any match.

Our next comp is in 2 weeks and you are very welcome.

See you then!

Cheers,

Paulo.
6/13/10 8:20 AM
geraldbb
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most major tournaments include a refs clinic, but in most cases they are restricted to the guys who are due to ref on the day.

I agree, most people I have had to debate the rules with over time, have typically never read them for themselves.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.