5/11/10 10:11 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

and wat is the benefit of being one?
5/12/10 11:17 AM
Cookie Monster
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It matters not.
5/12/10 11:46 AM
goku

?? no im serious...

i know what an originating attorney is...what is a matters attorney and responsible attorney?
5/13/10 10:42 AM
Fake Pie
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My understanding is matter originating or client responsible is the rainmaker guy who brought the client in.

Matter supervising or matters attorney is the attorney who gets the prize of supervising a particular matter. Say the CRA attorney is transactional and his client all of a sudden has a litigation matter, he ain't going to oversee it so he passes that matter off. The litigation partner should get at least matter supervising credit.

Then there is also a billing attorney, he gets to slice and dice the bills.

Our firm had these three, other firms may have more or less. It is a way of getting credit. CRA matters the most. It used to be the guy who had the client would just take all 3 credits for every matter but the firm eventually changed the policy so that triple counting didn't help you so they got a little looser about giving up matter supervising. I got it a bunch of times. Not sure how much it helps a junior associate. It is used for equity to determine their draw and senior associates and junior partners to determine if they should move up.
5/13/10 10:46 AM
goku

thanks..so when you say "credit" for an associate, i assume this doesnt mean $$$ 
5/13/10 12:26 PM
Fake Pie
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/13/10 12:26 PM
Well, if you were an associate and managed to get originating credit for a lot of money, they should reward you with a sizable bonus since you don't get a draw. If they don't, you should take your clients elsewhere.

But basically figure out how much cash you originated and figure you should get a nice piece of that... same as you would do for your hours x effective rate over 2000.
5/13/10 12:27 PM
goku

Edited: 05/13/10 12:27 PM
not originating, just matters attorney...is it worth anything?

5/13/10 2:15 PM
Fake Pie

I only know from the associate/jr. partner side it helps you move up. There is too much mystery surrounding how equity partners determine their draws to know if it is a factor there, but I would guess so.
5/13/10 2:28 PM
goku

got it..thx
5/13/10 2:39 PM
Fake Pie

Yeah I am not sure you could just call them out for a bonus for supervising some other partner's work as if you brought the cash in yourself. It is another factor I would imagine along with your hours.
5/14/10 4:15 PM
Cookie Monster
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow. Learn something new every day.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.