UnderGround Forums

Cigars, Beer & Poker Ground >> Going from Tight Aggressive, to Looser Play?

5/11/10 9:30 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
El Maquina
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like playing tournament poker and play pretty tight. I've read the first 2 volumes of the Harrington series. How do take the next step to getting better? If you notice, it seems like the super aggressive guys are tearing it up at the WSOP.
5/11/10 11:24 PM
PR
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The thing about tournaments is that to have regular success you simply can not just sit there and play your legitimate hands, because you just don't get dealt enough big hands.

So you base your game on playing legit hands and then as you get better at the game, you try and pick up extra pots when you can.

This is where the saying "you dont play the cards you play the man" comes into play.

Deep in tourneys it becomes much more about the situation than the cards.

Examples are the dynamic revolving around steals and re-steals, plus being able to identify spots which are profitable from a chip standpoint.

A good benchmark is to try and steal enough such that your stack stays the same in relation to the increasing blinds. If you can steal your share of pots, it gives you the time to get dealt a legitimate hand.

For example, say it folds to you on the button. You most certainly would raise AA, AK, 99, KQs etc. That's a no-brainer. But now you want to identify situations where it's profitable to raise the blinds even if you have shitty cards. The key is to find that fine line where you are tight enough that people are scared of your preflop raise, but raise often enough to take down your share of pots.
5/13/10 1:50 PM
wreckker
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tournies have changed alot...

the three bet is used alot more now preflop,  you need to learn how use it yourself.

A good time is when u are in the 15-20 BB range to 3 bet all in against a probable steal.

This size of stack does not give the light raiser odds to call and its not too big a stack to play deep stack stratedgy.

It gets trickier three betting when u are deep stacked.

Now comes the 4 bet range when are deep  stacked agaisnt light 3 bettors.

This can be hugely profitable if you can identify the good spots to pull the trigger

When u 3 and 4 bet in good spots you can accumalte chips much faster and then be patient and tighten your table image , wait for cards... or step on the gas push people around!

5/13/10 5:51 PM
El Maquina
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks guys, I'll look for pot stealing opportunities. Problem is, seems like at the tables I play at they will call anything.
5/13/10 7:31 PM
PR
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

El Maquina - Thanks guys, I'll look for pot stealing opportunities. Problem is, seems like at the tables I play at they will call anything.

That's even better. Then you look for "+cEV" opportunities. Plus Chip Expected Value spots. And you would never slowplay.

If you have 99 and you think he calls a shove with any pair, or hands like QJ AT A8s, then you shove.
5/14/10 10:30 PM
billid
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Only thing I've ever learned about aggressive tourney play (I hardly every play them) was from Gus Hansen who was talking about picking up a lot of blinds when getting closer to the bubble while everybody else is tightening up.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.