UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Renzo Gracie interview:“It Comes From the Heart..”

5/13/10 1:18 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
hackett
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Total-MMA had the pleasure of talking to Renzo Gracie after his seminar last weekend in Fife, WA courtesy of Gracie Barra Seattle.

Renzo talks a bit about the old days (including why Matt Hume ranks among his heroes), what's coming next (including a move to 155), and some special thoughts on his family's art (including why he calls himself a white belt.)

I had a lot of fun with this brief visit with one of my heroes, so thanks to GB Seattle for helping set it up. I hope you enjoy "It Comes From the Heart, Every Time: A Conversation With Renzo Gracie." Comments are welcome, here or at the site.

Thanks for reading!

TH
Total-MMA

5/13/10 1:59 PM
hackett
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Same here. TTT!
5/13/10 2:06 PM
voorhees
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like Renzo a lot.

That said I just cant say he was ever a good fighter.
5/13/10 2:09 PM
voorhees

Droppin Loads On Your Face Son - 

^^^subtle.
5/13/10 3:10 PM
hackett

TTT
5/13/10 3:13 PM
Kidcombo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

voorhees - I like Renzo a lot.

You can't ever say he was a good fighter?  Back when he fought Sak he was considered one of the best and when he fought BJ Penn he did extremely well even though he lost.   I like him a lot too but I can't say he was ever bad.....
5/13/10 3:16 PM
thforklift
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yikes. I think that's a little over-the-top. 

5/13/10 6:06 PM
anunaki
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had him winning the sak fight until the arm break...
5/13/10 7:04 PM
hackett

TTT
5/13/10 8:03 PM
Mark Hunter
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never a good fighter? Count the number of former UFC champs he's beaten. He was probably beating Sak before the arm break (as anunaki pointed out). He won the first round against Penn . . . in Hawaii. He outstruck Hughes for the first round (and some say the first TWO rounds) of their fight. Two time Abu Dhabi champion.

Dislodge your head from your sphincter.
5/13/10 8:06 PM
RickRude

Renzo is nuts if he thinks he can still compete in the UFC...nuts!! unless Dana and Joe Silva feed him tomato cans...hey Renzo, you want tomato puree or some vodka sauce??
5/14/10 2:56 AM
twinmill

Hes a cool guy. I got the pleasure of meeting him before a class at gb irvine. I hope it goes well.

I think he still has the warrior mentality to compete
5/14/10 9:02 AM
CJJScout
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stud
5/14/10 10:37 AM
Hansumboy

Mark Hunter - Never a good fighter? Count the number of former UFC champs he's beaten. He was probably beating Sak before the arm break (as anunaki pointed out). He won the first round against Penn . . . in Hawaii. He outstruck Hughes for the first round (and some say the first TWO rounds) of their fight. Two time Abu Dhabi champion.

Dislodge your head from your sphincter.

He lost all those you fights you brought up, and ooohhh he beat Mo Smith and a 100 year old Militech, watch out guys. And Abu Dhabi isnt fighting.

I like the guy but he was never a great fighter.
5/14/10 10:40 AM
john76
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

why anyone would want to talk bad about Renzo is beyond me
5/14/10 11:14 AM
FortyKoatz

His hughes fight was terrible but he was one of the best in the world at one point.
5/14/10 11:54 AM
BUFFGEO
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

john76 - why anyone would want to talk bad about Renzo is beyond me

look at the dates, theyre all clueless noob.

everyone always thinks the old generation sucks and there generation is the best. I got news for you noobs, it isnt and it isnt even close

5/14/10 1:09 PM
TeamRenzo

I let him know your thoughts, I am sure that will push him to train harder to prove you wrong.

Renzo thanks you in advance!
5/14/10 2:12 PM
hackett

TTT for that.

So... anyone read the interview? :)
5/14/10 2:16 PM
thforklift
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i read the interview but im biased, because i had a picture of him on my bedroom wall my senior year of high school (1996-97) and he is one of the dudes that inspired me to fight. 
5/14/10 6:20 PM
hackett

Yeah, thanks anyway I guess. Hope you enjoyed it. If you get a chance to train with Renzo I'd definitely recommend it.
5/14/10 7:22 PM
brdrchoker

Why is it people compare people  weather it be  any sport to the athletes in the given sport at the moment? You are comparing apples to oranges, Renzo is and was a good fighter, age and the sports evolution may have passed him by. By that thinking Sak, Babe Ruth, Oscar Robinson, Michael Jordan, ect, ect all sucked because later in their carrers the skils had diminished...so they were never any good..
5/14/10 7:28 PM
LMFAO

renzo was world class and still is world class....grappler

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.