UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> Virtualization

5/13/10 2:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Slydawg
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/13/10 2:36 PM

Is anyone doing Virtualization? I just got my redundant servers and SAN. I'm going to use 10 thin clients as a test once I get this OS's installed and the SAN configured. I know the concepts but I have some questions? Thanks,
5/14/10 1:56 PM
tycoon
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What kind of hardware specs you got? I had to postpone my virtualization project to do a phone project. But I am still trying to spec out a NAS/SAN with decent IOPs when I am done with this project.
5/15/10 2:21 AM
Bryan Reese
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Virtualization varies wildly. Are you talking VMWare?
5/15/10 9:55 AM
JBALL
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I implemented our vmware environment from the ground up. What do you need to know?
5/15/10 5:23 PM
Road Warrior Fin
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Virtualization is a buzz word that IT Sales and CTO's love to throw around without knowing what it really is or the true costs associated with it.

/rant off/

5/15/10 10:30 PM
JBALL
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Road Warrior Fin - Virtualization is a buzz word that IT Sales and CTO's love to throw around without knowing what it really is or the true costs associated with it.

/rant off/

Fin,  Im a boots on the ground guy. I think virtualization lives up to the hype.  A CTO worth his salt would embrace a virtualization strategy if he knew what was good for him.
5/16/10 2:29 AM
Bryan Reese
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Road Warrior Fin - Virtualization is a buzz word that IT Sales and CTO's love to throw around without knowing what it really is or the true costs associated with it.

/rant off/

Virtualization is only a buzz word if your organization hasn't picked up the word cloud. IMO. I want to die when I hear someone say cloud.
5/16/10 3:46 AM
Road Warrior Fin
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lmao - I'm not dissing virtualization by all means and I think its great but - but I run into too many people that just throw the word around with not knowing shit about it.
5/17/10 12:39 PM
mauler
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What type of virtualization are you trying to do? ESXI w/ VMware? Are going to do VSS?

What is your network through put like and what do you expect it to be? Will you need GigE, 10 Gige, or Fiber switches? Are you trying to do network boots off the NAS appliance, is your VM storage going to be off NAS?

Virtualization is great if you know what your doing and how it truly works. It can be a great money saver in the long run, but you lay out some good cash to get it set up right.
5/18/10 12:23 AM
Bryan Reese

Road Warrior Fin -  Lmao - I'm not dissing virtualization by all means and I think its great but - but I run into too many people that just throw the word around with not knowing shit about it.
Dude, if I didn't have an NDA I'd tell you what permanent piece of hardware on a server someone was campaigning to have replaced with a virtual machine running on the host OS. There are only a few things you could actually do that with, and they're all equally stupid.
6/8/10 10:36 PM
crobrun
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

we are playing with Pano. Allows for you to use smaller less powerful boxes to run your desktops.

My martini was a bit to strong this evening. I'll straighten this post out tomorrow when I'm sober.

...or delete it.

Pano is good for green IT.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.