UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Miami World Cup to be broadcast on Versus Channel

5/13/10 8:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OCJudoTrngCtr
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/13/10 8:33 PM
Orange County Judo Training Center, OCJudo.com Team

The Miami World Cup being held  August 27/28 will be broadcast on the Versus Channel. The e-mail did not say if it was going to be live or delayed.

The US Open is the same weekend on August 29th.

Congratulations to USA Judo and the IJF for financing this tournament and getting  cable coverage for it.

5/14/10 1:46 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome!!!!!
5/15/10 11:18 AM
judoblackbelt
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Help me, I am planning on this event or thinking about the World Judo Championships in Tokyo. Which would you attend?

Also, The US Open has Masters(one on my budies is fighting) but it also has Seniors. IJF event is an international "A" level and the US Open is "B" level. Do any of our seniors qualify for the "A" level event? And is qualification determined by IFJ ranking? thanks, Is it possible an athlete would compete in both events?
5/15/10 12:05 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For World Cup and Grand Prix events, the host country is usually given an additional 1-3 slots. I would imagine that the top 1-4 competitors on the USA Judo national roster would compete in the World Cup, subject to availability.

I think USA competitors would compete in both, but less likely for foreign competitors outside of the PJC. It certainly is possible.

It would be a very tough decision either way. One of our members, who is now on the SJSU Judo Team is competing at the Worlds.  The World Championships are in Japan, and I would think that would be  an amazing event to attend.

On the other hand, I think its very important to support initiatives like Miami if the sport is ever going to grow in this country.  The bottom line is that somebody, somewhere decided to invest a significant amount of money to bring this event to the USA. They are going to want to see some sort of return on that capital, determined by some metric. If Miami is poorly supported by the USA Judo community, I don't think that helps the case for further investment.

5/15/10 8:40 PM
judoblackbelt
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks, appreciate your response OC Judo TC . I am leaning toward the World Cup. Closeness, world class competition, cost and a chance to our top athletes compete against other top athletes.
8/31/10 6:58 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr

The Miami World Cup will air tomorrow at 3:30pm EDT on the Versus Channel. It is a two hour program with World Champion and Olympic Medalist Mike Swain doing commentary.  All matches are from the finals, and coverage will include interviews with several USA Judo athletes.

judo.teamusa.org/news/2010/08/31/watch-the-usa-world-cup-on-television-on-wednesday/38320

I've checked my local cable company in So Cal and it will air from 12:30pm-2:30pm PDT.

For Southern California

On Time Warner-- you can watch it  on channel 267  or in HD on 469
On Cox Cable-- you can watch it on  channel 765 in HD   (I do not know the non HD channel)
On Direct TV--you can watch it on channel 603

8/31/10 11:42 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BTW... on DirecTV it is listed as IJF WORLD CUP in the title... if you search for Judo you will find it, but it takes a little while.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.