UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> Breathing Question

5/14/10 1:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Thor
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roy,
Other than remembering to actually breathe during grappling, do you have any advice on breath control or methods that could be helpful. Years ago at Ricksons seminars, I notice that he did employ a breathing technique which I believe emphasized the expulsion of air from your lungs. Do you have any thoughts or advice on the matter?
5/16/10 11:48 PM
beauregard
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great question. We must have gone to the same Rickson seminar. I remember Rickson talking about that.
5/18/10 3:35 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here are a few of things to keep in mind to train your "breathe" while training on the mats:

1. Focus on exhalation. By purposely FORCING YOURSELF to exhale (until all of the air is gone from your lungs), you can teach yourself to breath properly - rather than hold their breath - when things become intense or stressful.

2. Breathe through your nostrils, not through your mouth. Exhale through your mouth.

3. Breathe into (expand) your belly, not your lungs.

4. Make the effort to regulate your breathing pattern into something that's smooth and rhythmic, regardless of how fast or intense you are grappling.

There is more, but give these a try first!

Roy Harris

5/19/10 10:55 AM
Thor
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the great advice Roy, I really appreciate it. I'm definitely going to focus on this in training. I think, like a lot of people, when things get going I have a tendency to hold my breath a little.
12/6/10 5:20 PM
cusandmike
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Curious, i have been trying to work a BJ Penn breathing technique of breating in through the mouth and exhaling through the nose. Figure on trying to speed up oxygen recovery while rationing the outflow. Thoughts?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.