UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> is it disloyalty?

5/16/10 5:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
alz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

went to ask a kenpo instructor if i could train with his school but was denied after i told him i also train jujitsu. he wanted total commitment from his students which i could have given him. jujitsu sensei was cool and encouraging though.
5/16/10 7:45 PM
PoWdA101
564 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

alz - went to ask a kenpo instructor if i could train with his school but was denied after i told him i also train jujitsu. he wanted total commitment from his students which i could have given him. jujitsu sensei was cool and encouraging though.

Sounds pretty stupid to me...
5/18/10 5:03 AM
Skpotamus
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like pre 1993 bullshit to me. The guy doesn't want his students to be well rounded? Did he have contracts you had to sign up for?
5/19/10 1:09 PM
knocka
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

eff him.
2/22/11 1:57 PM
thebisket
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Skpotamus - Sounds like pre 1993 bullshit to me. The guy doesn't want his students to be well rounded? Did he have contracts you had to sign up for?

VTFU
2/23/11 3:16 AM
Kolsyrade
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He probably do not want someone to call him over his bs teaching with experience from other schools. You get that with insecure (or outright fraudulent) instructors sometimes.
2/23/11 5:35 PM
de braco
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^Of course he's a fraudulent instructor,99% of kenpo guys are
2/23/11 5:43 PM
de braco
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You wanted to learn this?
2/24/11 3:09 AM
alz

chuck lidell has kenpo roots
2/24/11 7:28 AM
de braco

Lidell was a wrestler turned kickboxer, the kenpo played no part
2/24/11 3:24 PM
Willybone
374 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The sensei I feel I owe the most to was also the one who told me I should move from his school to another.
He was teaching (dirty) judo in a hapkido school and knew the other students weren't giving me the competition I needed to learn, so he sent me to Oishi Judo where I got my ass kicked constantly. I'd still hang out with him after that and he was always proud that he'd taught me so well I had to leave his school.

His loyalty to my learning has actually made me more loyal to him as a mentor.
2/25/11 12:10 AM
alz

Lidell was a wrestler turned kickboxer, the kenpo played no part

he should've tattooed wrasslin on his arm then...
2/25/11 4:11 PM
PoWdA101
564 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My BJJ instructor is okay with me training anywhere. I actually just started taking Judo classes a a different place with his blessing. Any instructor that wants exclusivity has got some issues. It is an art you are learning, who is he to tell you what else you can and cannot do?
2/25/11 9:36 PM
seek

"he should've tattooed wrasslin on his arm then..."

Everybody makes mistakes.

3/4/11 4:24 PM
Outkaster
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I took classes from a guy that did not want people training anywhere else. If you are beginner I can kind of see it, but if you have some time under your belt it is not a problem. If that is the case it is usually because of some insecurity they have that there is someone else out there that can teach better or their student may learn something they don't teach. That shit has been going on for years in the Martial Art's community.
3/13/11 4:23 PM
Old Red Belt

Edited: 03/13/11 4:24 PM
It is considered an insult in traditional martial arts to train with a style outside the original school. This, of course didn't go over well with American Martial Artist who wanted to crosstrain with many styles. This was the beginning of the American Eclectic System, such as Bojukaryu,a mxture of Boxing,Jiujitsu and Karate, All American Combat Karate (Okamiryu) a mixture of Gojuryu, Tae Kwon Do and Jiujitsu. The first eclectic style was USA Go Ju and that caused great anomosities between Gogen Yamaguchi and Peter Urban. I love the martial art for what it is they all work and they all were created by a genius.<br /><br />Now I do MMA because no one seems to care about styles they just want to see what works. I think I get more respect from the MMA fighter simply because they need the strikes that I teach them and they get results.<br /><br />The original martial art was Pankration of the acient Greeks that did the same thing we are doing now in the Octogon. Now if a student wants to cross train in another art it is totally encoraged. Other wise respect the traditional styles for what they are.
3/15/11 11:45 AM
Outkaster
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA is not the end all either. It just gave the martial arts a kick in the ass in the early 1990's.
3/15/11 4:16 PM
simthefarmer

that is just plain stupid. Good reason not to go there anymore
4/11/11 11:17 PM
Wolfs Law
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hackleman at the Pit also teaches Kempo,
every style has their good and bad examples, my instructor has no problem with cross training.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.