UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Would Of or Would Have?

5/16/10 7:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
carasando
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would Of or Would Have?
This rule applies to would, should, could or might. The trouble arises because, when spoken, "would've" (short for "would have") sounds almost exactly the same as "would of". However, although no-one may notice when you're speaking, if you write "would of" you make your mistake visible.
5/29/10 10:35 PM
boxesshadows

Seeing "would of" written really irks me.
6/8/10 3:06 PM
Little Padilla

Yeah, it is supposed to would have. I am a big time grammer cop in real life. When I hear people say, "Seen" instead of, "Saw" or, "Have seen" I go on a RAGE!!!!
6/13/10 10:26 PM
asscobra
223 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My biggest grammar pet peev is the use of "and I". I think people think it's improper to use "and me" , as in; "so and so gave my girlfriend and me free tickets to the fight", So they say "So and so gave my girlfriend and Itickets to the fight". Drives me crazy.
6/15/10 5:36 PM
boxesshadows

^ This. Especially with the barrage of facebook photos of "So-and-so and I at graduation."
6/27/10 10:25 PM
Hank Scorpio
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Little Padilla - Yeah, it is supposed to would have. I am a big time grammer cop in real life. When I hear people say, "Seen" instead of, "Saw" or, "Have seen" I go on a RAGE!!!!

"grammer cop"
7/2/10 5:43 PM
Skeletor68
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/9/11 3:06 AM
Indivia
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

asscobra -  My biggest grammar pet peev is the use of "and I". I think people think it's improper to use "and me" , as in; "so and so gave my girlfriend and me free tickets to the fight", So they say "So and so gave my girlfriend and Itickets to the fight". Drives me crazy.

Interesting...What are the rules regarding the usage?
1/11/11 11:57 PM
TrickyG
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Indivia - 
asscobra -  My biggest grammar pet peev is the use of "and I". I think people think it's improper to use "and me" , as in; "so and so gave my girlfriend and me free tickets to the fight", So they say "So and so gave my girlfriend and Itickets to the fight". Drives me crazy.

re: "so and so gave my girlfriend and I tickets to the fight", that is one that really irks me as well; I work in broadcast, and have a co-worker that uses that phrasing live on-air on an almost daily basis.

Indivia, it's really easy to differentiate, just take out the other noun in the phrase and see if "me" or "I" would be right - for instance, you wouldn't say "Indivia gave I tickets to the fight", so when adding the girlfriend, it wouldn't be "Indivia gave my girlfriend and I tickets to the fight". That's the easiest way to check it.
1/21/11 7:34 PM
Easytarget
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

would have

1/23/11 7:20 AM
LetsTalkItOut
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TrickyG - 
Indivia - 

re: "so and so gave my girlfriend and I tickets to the fight", that is one that really irks me as well; I work in broadcast, and have a co-worker that uses that phrasing live on-air on an almost daily basis.

Indivia, it's really easy to differentiate, just take out the other noun in the phrase and see if "me" or "I" would be right - for instance, you wouldn't say "Indivia gave I tickets to the fight", so when adding the girlfriend, it wouldn't be "Indivia gave my girlfriend and I tickets to the fight". That's the easiest way to check it.

Damn I'm confused. I always thought that when talking about mulitple people I have to use "I" and when it's just me I'll use "me."

So "Mike, John, and me went to the show" is completely fine? Sounds weird to me. "Mike, John, and I went to the show" sounds good.
1/23/11 6:11 PM
TrickyG
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol, no, that's not what I said.... just take out the other people in the phrase to see whether "me" or "I" is right singularly.... what's right there, is what's right when adding the other people. Nothing changes.

"I went to the show" is right, SO, "Mike, John, and I went to the show" is as well. It wouldn't be "me went to the show" unless you're the Cookie Monster.

"Mike gave me the ticket" is right, so "Mike gave John and me the tickets" would be right.
1/23/11 10:49 PM
LetsTalkItOut
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Okay, both are right it just depends on the sentence.
2/25/11 11:06 PM
Scut Farkus

woulda
10/16/11 3:23 AM
kung_pow
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/16/11 3:24 AM
Would of = Would've = Would Have.

Would of is the pronunciation of the spelling of the contraction would've.

Some prissy bitch in my senior year of high school corrected me in a peer review of an essay so I always remember "would've" and I also remember that she is a bitch. I told her for all intensive purposes I could care less how I said what I said on that essay because it is the same difference.
11/26/11 10:31 PM
traneufcisback

" I told her for all intensive purposes I could care less how I said what I said on that essay because it is the same difference.
1/1/12 12:45 AM
counterfeeding
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LetsTalkItOut - Okay, both are right it just depends on the sentence.

You use "I" when the first person is the subject in the sentence, and "me" when the first person is the object in the sentence. The same rule applies when you have a conjunction ("and") in the subject or object position.

Examples:

"I hit Frank."
"Frank hit me."

"John and I hit Frank."
"Frank hit John and me."
9/28/12 2:38 AM
ravenman2000
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In case you forget, always remember this is correct:

"...roll it, pat it, and mark it with a B,

and put it in the oven for Baby and me."

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.