UnderGround Forums

GolfGround >> Tips for a beginning golfer?

5/20/10 10:49 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
littleguy
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brand new to the game. Any tips would be appreciated.
5/20/10 3:47 PM
Animal Chin
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

call a nice public course in your area and let one of the pros know you're a beginner and want a lesson.

where do you live?
5/20/10 5:58 PM
PR
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yes, get lessons from a pro ASAP. Dont develop bad habits first. It'll make it much harder for you.
7/2/10 8:06 AM
The Kangaroo
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BE THE BALL
7/3/10 5:20 PM
Chicken and Rice
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's all in the hips.
7/10/10 3:58 AM
Ze Dano
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

block out the bad, in with the good
1/3/11 5:00 PM
dangerboy12
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Learn to have fun without shooting low unless you plan on spending a ton of money.
1/9/11 6:09 AM
NICK MANNING
783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT

Just moved to Vegas and looking to do a lot of golfing out here. I got some new clubs this past summer and played as much as I could.

Cool story bro.
2/13/11 2:28 PM
cdog1955
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't worry about distance, the distances are built into the club, it's better to be accurate.

Learn to putt, then chip, then pitch, then move on to full swing.

Direction is a matter of face angle and swing path, learn what those items are and your on your way.
8/18/11 12:32 PM
KCCII
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cdog1955 - Don't worry about distance, the distances are built into the club, it's better to be accurate.

Learn to putt, then chip, then pitch, then move on to full swing.

Direction is a matter of face angle and swing path, learn what those items are and your on your way.

i wish someone told me this when i started. First year or so i just practiced driving and low irons and saw little to no improvement of my score, then i went backwards like you said and have knocked off 10-15 strokes in 2 years.

and keep your freaking head down let it come up naturally (helped me with my slice and "skulling" the ball)

9/11/11 12:38 AM
thenino
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When you get in the tee box remember....open a big can of swing easy....works every time
10/2/11 4:32 PM
NHB_Hipster
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good stuff here. I started playing for the first time this summer, now I'm hooked.

I started off topping the ball every time and couldn't hit for shit. I kept at it and learned to let my club to the work, get more face on the ball and to keep my knees bent.

After that I started getting lift, power and greater accuracy.

I can't seem to put all three facets of my game together yet, but I am happy with my progress.

To me, strokes don't matter it's how I hit the ball.
10/25/11 2:27 AM
mijo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

take a lesson, ask for drills to do at home, and work on your short game. 100 yards and In! I chip at my house all the time. You can never go wrong with great chipping and putting.
2/27/12 3:07 AM
bazzo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hit the little ball (golf ball) before the big ball (earth).
9/23/12 11:50 AM
Flaboy239
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't spend a lot of money just yet and be patient. Also, see an instructor asap and learn a few drills to practice. Hitting a shit ton of balls with your bad swing is only making those bad habbits harder to break.
9/23/12 11:52 AM
Flaboy239
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also, practice putting and chipping at least 4x as much as you hit a driver. Swing down and don't try to help the ball get airborn. let the loft of the club do the work.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.