UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> GSP to train with Freddie Roach

5/20/10 7:41 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1258 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre broke the news that he will be spending some quality time with world renowned boxing trainer Freddie Roach in the very near future.

"Rush" told Jim Rome on his nationally syndicated radio show that he will be flying to California today to begin training at Roach's Wildcard Gym in Hollywood.

This will certainly not be the first time Roach has helped MMA fighters fine tune their "sweet science" repertoir. Anderson Silva, Andrei Arlovski, Gegard Mousasi, and Dan Hardy have all trained under his watchful eye in the past.

Read entire article...

5/20/10 7:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
EvilMaster
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Big Cheese
Should be a positive experience for all involved.
5/20/10 7:47 PM
figure four

Roach don't let pac get mixed up Druggie...I mean Frenchy...

PBF will scream guilt by association... regarding PED
5/20/10 7:49 PM
Dr Gonzo
263 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Roach don't let pac get mixed up Druggie...I mean Frenchy..."

wat?
5/20/10 7:49 PM
Barry_BondsMVP
831 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if there's a weakness in GSP's game, it's his boxing. That being said, Roach doesn't help MMA fighters with the classic boxing much, there's a difference.

5/20/10 7:54 PM
DW
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP has a great jab that im sure will only be better once he has trained with Roach.  He has damned good boxing but has gotten more gun shy since the first Serra fight.  He still outboxed guys like Penn and Alves recently, granted he mixes boxing with wrestling better than anyone in MMA and that threw their striking games off...still I would love to see some sparring videos come out of this...fingers crossed.
5/20/10 7:56 PM
EvilMaster

Edited: 05/20/10 8:02 PM
The Big Cheese
figure four - Roach don't let pac get mixed up

stfu.
5/20/10 7:58 PM
ShadoKhan
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

maybe he's just going to get looked at, get some pointers and things to work on, maybe a few tricks, but who knows, maybe he starts going regularly, and improves his boxing, like how he's gone to Brazil to work on his BJJ?
5/20/10 8:00 PM
Barry_BondsMVP
831 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ItalianRottie - can mma guys really pick up enough by visitin roach for a few days?

i mean so many have stopped by his gym. i would of thought you would need to spend a long time to get real results, for him to analyse your game and pick up your style. or are mma guys lacking so much thats its an intro class he does for em?

i say the video of tito in his gym, all i say was roach stopping tito everytime he dropped his hands which was alot.

it's a circus at Wild Card, I know for sure he pays more attention to his boxers then MMA fighters. I think he lost faith after going all in with Arlovski and thinking he had the right plan to stop Fedor.

Guys like Amir Khan, Vanes Martirosyan, Pacquiao etc will get his attention.
5/20/10 8:17 PM
FSMA

superCalo - Big Big mistake by gSp

Arloski went totally downhill after training with Roach, he thought himself a boxer and his mMa skills as a whole deteroriated

Dan Hardy went into the decline that resulted him getting destroyed by gSp after training with Roach, he too thinking he could knock anyone out because he had been trained by a boxing master ..to the detriment of his overall mMa skills.

I can't see what gSp is thinking, did he think all those punchs that Dan Hardy didnt throw, or threw and missed were so impressive that he had to get the same boxing trainer.

This may start the decline of gSp as mixed martial artist.
He is better off sticking to what made him so good Karate and wrestling, he was able to nullify one of mMas top boxers in BJ Penn, training with Roach will make him far worse, every mMa fighter who has done it has faired for the worst afterwards.

Yes, how dare GSP train with one of the worlds best boxing coaches to improve his game. WTF is he thinking?

BTW, who's "Arloski" and was he great to begin with?
5/20/10 8:20 PM
Eliddle
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Arloski went totally downhill after training with Roach, he thought himself a boxer and his mMa skills as a whole deteroriated

Dan Hardy went into the decline that resulted him getting destroyed by gSp after training with Roach, he too thinking he could knock anyone out because he had been trained by a boxing master ..to the detriment of his overall mMa skills.

I can't see what gSp is thinking, did he think all those punchs that Dan Hardy didnt throw, or threw and missed were so impressive that he had to get the same boxing trainer.

He is better off sticking to what made him so good Karate and wrestling, he was able to nullify one of mMas top boxers in BJ Penn, training with Roach will make him far worse, every mMa fighter who has done it has faired for the worst afterwards.

GSP the guy who is possibly the best wrestler who did it all through hard work....sure...Arlovski has always been one dimensional.
5/20/10 8:22 PM
GC111

pure boxing and MMA boxing aren't the same
5/20/10 8:25 PM
FSMA

superCalo - 
FSMA - 

Yes, how dare GSP train with one of the worlds best boxing coaches to improve his game. WTF is he thinking?

BTW, who's "Arloski" and was he great to begin with?

I've just told you why he shouldnt train with Roach, read it again if you're confused son.

lol @ "son". Now that you've shown your intelligence I'll just stop posting.
5/20/10 8:25 PM
ajjr0ller
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Training with Roach is the kiss of death to any MMA fighter's career..
5/20/10 8:28 PM
MR Combatively

How So ? i want to hear your reasoning ?
5/20/10 8:33 PM
supersonic
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP used to regularly work the disciplines separately so this isn’t too uncommon for him.

Don’t think he will lose the ability to flow. Maybe it will get some of his confidence back standing.
5/20/10 8:34 PM
ajl416az

superCalo - 
Eliddle - 

GSP the guy who is possibly the best wrestler who did it all through hard work....sure...Arlovski has always been one dimensional.

Bollocks Arlovski had a great ground game, his sambo is probably the best in mMa after Fedor and his brothers.

lol.
yeah such great sambo that he has no guard whatsoever.
5/20/10 8:42 PM
ajjr0ller
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

superCalo - 
ajjr0ller - Training with Roach is the kiss of death to any MMA fighter's career..

Has any fighter been more sucessful after training with Roach ? none that I can think of they've all got worse.
Hell before Anderson Silva started training with Roach he was a great striker knocking people out, destroying other top fighters, now he bores people to tears in his 5 round decsions.

I was not being sarcastic.
5/20/10 8:57 PM
MR Combatively

Edited: 05/20/10 10:20 PM
Freddie Roach did help Arlovski tremendously! You can’t train a CHIN on a fighter. Arlovski made it very difficult for fedor to do anything with his Weak jab and faints; that he had little time to work with Roach. Roach only made the fight last longer than it did. Arlovski took himself out of that fight with the flying knee. Fedor had that knee timed. Arlovski is just not that good period. He is overrated by the UFC hype machine. If he would have stuck to Roach’s plan who knows what would have happened. His only win that was creditable was Tim Sylvia. He had Fedor nervous with the boxing.<br /><br />If anything this is will make GSP more dominate than he actually is. He is the best athlete in MMA! He Mastered wrestling and is using it to his advantage. If GSP master some better boxing he will destroy anyone. By Destroy, I mean people will be scared because he will be knocking heads off in the third row. With roach he will be able to distribute his power and quickness better on the feet. It will only help better destroy Koscheck. It’s in Koscheck’s head that he can no longer out wrestle GSP. GSP with his Great wrestling and better boxing will be Excellent. Since GSP is such a Great Wrestler now it will only be able to make him incorporate pure boxing better in the octagon (Which is Scary). I’m actually pumped that MIXED MARTIAL ARTS is actually becoming better rounded with every style. It makes it more Creditable! Why do some people like to hate on other styles. I just don’t get it?<br />MR. Combatively <br />
5/20/10 10:07 PM
Eliddle
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^Awesome 5th post.
5/20/10 10:27 PM
SKARHEAD
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agreed
5/20/10 10:32 PM
Forssberg

Arloski was a much better kickboxer before he started obsessing with boxing. The combined used of leg kicks and arm strikes, the distance, etc., all of this combined with the threath from leg locks is what made him a UFC champion.

The same danger exists with GSP. What makes GSP an effective fighter is his well-roundedness, where leg kicks, arm strikes, take downs, GnP, all come together to form a formidable offensive threath.

The fact that he's going to train with Roach gives the wrong signal. He could have got excellent additional boxing training in Montreal. There are plenty of world champions here. But he is choosing instead to go to LA, and that shows that there is a danger that he may overemphasize the importance of boxing training to the detriment of his MMA skills (just like others have rightly remarked).
5/20/10 10:39 PM
piratepirate
625 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Honestly all the boxing in the world isn't going to stop GSP from laying on people.

5/20/10 10:48 PM
madmav
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ehh.. whatever.. prolly can't hurt gsp.. guys go around and try out different places all the time.. no biggie
5/20/10 11:07 PM
wrestlerguy04
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eliddle - ^^^Awesome 5th post.

This

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.