UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Moishe Rosen, 78; founded Jews for Jesus

5/21/10 9:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
770mdm
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, May 21, 2010

Moishe Rosen, 78, a Jewish-born Baptist minister who founded the controversial evangelistic group Jews for Jesus, died May 19 in San Francisco. He had prostate cancer.

Jews for Jesus, founded in 1973, is the largest and most visible part of the Messianic Jewish or Hebrew Christian movement, which holds that Jews can recognize Jesus as the messiah and still retain a Jewish identity. The group has offices in 11 countries, including Israel, and employs more than 100 missionaries worldwide.

Mr. Rosen said he modeled his evangelical efforts on Vietnam War protests he saw while living in the San Francisco area. Jews for Jesus spread its ideas via street theater performances and printed pamphlets with catchy titles such as "On the First Day of Christmas My Rabbi Gave to Me . . . " and "Jesus Made Me Kosher."

Adherents handed out millions of copies on street corners and college campuses and at shopping malls and airports.

"[W]e must believe in our hearts and confess with our mouths the Lord Jesus in order to be saved," Mr. Rosen wrote in a statement posted online at the time of his death. "There are no shortcuts."

That message infuriated most Jewish leaders, who saw Mr. Rosen's evangelism as an assault on their faith. Leading Jewish groups launched efforts to counteract the efforts of Jews for Jesus and similar groups.

"What they are attempting is spiritual genocide," Philip Abramowitz of the Jewish Community Relations Council of New York said in 1995 of the Messianic Jewish movement. "They want to see Judaism destroyed as an entity."

Martin Rosen was born April 12, 1932, in Kansas City, Mo., and was raised in an Orthodox synagogue in Denver. He adopted his Christian beliefs in 1953, the same year his Jewish-born wife converted.

"It wasn't because I thought Christianity was nicer than Judaism," he told the Los Angeles Times in 1985. "Nor was it because I wanted to renounce my birthright, as many have said. Basically, I accepted Jesus because, after searching the Scriptures, I found Him to be true."

Estranged from his parents after he declared his beliefs, Mr. Rosen moved to the East Coast to study theology at New Jersey's Northeastern Bible Institute. He was ordained a Baptist minister in 1957, led Hebrew Christian congregations and worked for 17 years for the American Board of Missions to the Jews, with the aim of attracting converts.

He led Jews for Jesus from 1973 until 1996, when he stepped down as executive director. The next year, he was named a "Hero of the Faith" by the Conservative Baptist Association.

He wrote numerous broadsides, articles and books, including "Christ in the Passover" (1977) and "Witnessing to Jews" (1998).

Survivors include his wife of 60 years, Ceil Starr Rosen of San Francisco; two daughters, Lyn Bond of Skokie, Ill., and Ruth Rosen of San Francisco; a brother; and two grandchildren.

Mr. Rosen was willing to go to court to defend what he said was his right to free speech and brought lawsuits to hold interfaith Seders and distribute religious literature.

"You can take from me everything but my Jewishness and my belief in God," he once said. "You can say I'm a nuisance, a Christian, out of step with the Jewish community, but you can't say I'm not a Jew."

5/21/10 9:36 AM
770mdm
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/21/10 9:37 AM
A facinating website from the staff of the Jews for Jesus people.

http://usedforjesus.com/index.html

This site is also a place for Ex Jews for Jesus staff to reunite and to share our lives. If you are recent—or even longtime—former Jews for Jesus worker, please consider our mailing list.

Note, "Used For Jesus" is how some feel following their time with the Jews for Jesus. Abuse or spiritual abuse doesn't make the perpetrator "bad" per sé, but what does irk many who left JFJ is that group's unwillingness to understand the valid concerns of those many, resorting to accusing the victim of somehow bringing it upon themselves or simply "making it up", this is classic behavior of an abuser.

http://usedforjesus.com/aboutstory.html

Shalom. My name is Jo Ann Schneider Farris. I am a Jew who does NOT believe that Jesus is the Messiah. However, once I did believe, and once I was on staff with the Jews for Jesus organization. I was involved for fifteen years. And, for some of those years, I served as a full-time missionary.

My experiences with Jews for Jesus are recorded as a separate story on the Used for Jesus site. But here, I need to tell another story. The story of how the group Used for Jesus came about, and why....

5/21/10 9:46 AM
martial_shadow
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whenever they start handing out pamphlets downtown, I always start talking to them in Hebrew and they get so confused. I have no idea why immigrants from Latin America and Asia have such poor Hebrew comprehension if they really are Jews- but for some reason I think they are only pretending to be Jews.
5/21/10 9:58 AM
770mdm

The J for J building in my town closed down a few years ago.  I was told that there were no Jews attending there it was just non-Jews wanting to have this attachment to Judaism or something.  Anyway, sorry the guy died but good riddence to the organization.
5/22/10 7:38 AM
Robert Wynne
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

martial_shadow - Whenever they start handing out pamphlets downtown, I always start talking to them in Hebrew and they get so confused. I have no idea why immigrants from Latin America and Asia have such poor Hebrew comprehension if they really are Jews- but for some reason I think they are only pretending to be Jews.

rotfl
5/23/10 5:34 PM
Ridgeback
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is funny what Jewish supremacists can get away with just because other people who claim the same ethnic identity were treated like shit.
5/23/10 5:39 PM
770mdm

Jewish supremacist?..  Is there such a thing?  
5/23/10 5:53 PM
martial_shadow
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ridge- you'll be happy to know I've sent a communique through the Illuminati because all us Jews are on the commitee and I've arranged for you to have an accident on Tuesday- watch the coffee.
5/25/10 1:13 PM
Ridgeback
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

martial_shadow - Ridge- you'll be happy to know I've sent a communique through the Illuminati because all us Jews are on the commitee and I've arranged for you to have an accident on Tuesday- watch the coffee.
LOL.,  I actually don't think you are a Jewish Supremacist like 770 is.  But if you were that wouldn't mean you had anymore power than the KKK.  

5/25/10 3:01 PM
770mdm

Wow Ridgeback, I am really taken back by your character assasination.  Part of me is a little repulsed by your labeling me and part is left wondering what the hell your talking about?  Maybe supremicist means different things to you then me?  Can you please elaborate because I can't necessarily defend myself here without knowing why you'd say such a thing? 

5/25/10 3:38 PM
770mdm

I did a quick google of Jewish supremacist and get David Dukes book. 

http://www.davidduke.com/general/jewish-supremacism_129.html

Wow.  Just wow.  If you truly believe this kind of information then I just don't know what to say.  I think I've read you're the boarder patrol guy and I remember reading about that hand having this sense of respect for you.  I can say we live in a free country so you believe as you wish but just wow, the ignorance.  Where do we go from here? 

The best I could do would be confront your issues and straighten them out.  But do I really want to do that?  I don't know.  I'm too busy feeling insulted.  Just wow.  Dude really?

5/26/10 9:12 AM
770mdm

Edited: 05/26/10 9:14 AM

I just want to also point out that I don't believe I've really posted that much about myself here personal enough for someone, anyone, to accuse me of being a supremacist.  Most of my posting has been about What Judaism is.  I've read this forum for many years now and know that for the most part people have the Wrong idea of what Judaism is.  And the fact that I've posted strong perspective shouldn't make me a supremacist.  I certainly challenge and push the envalope and stirr the pot!  I've not put anyone down here.  I've challenged and am quick to react a lot but in the end I've never put myself above anyone else.  Maybe except for now.  That's why it's an ignorant statement, because you are blanketly ascribing that I am or feel superior to you.  I don't think you get to legitimately make that assertion when we've never really interacted.  So the best you can say is that what you think you know about Judaism is a form of supremacy.  Supremacist, G-d I feel ill just writting that word.  Which is exactly why I post the way I do because people Don't generally know what Judaism is here.    I post and am an advocate for Judaism and therefore I am what you think Judaism is...  Also, to just say that with no pointing out why your saying it is just trolling.  Yes, you've gotten my goat a little.  Feel good?  I hope so because it makes me think you're stupid.

5/26/10 10:17 AM
CJJScout
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I went to a Messianic church once, it was awesome.
5/26/10 11:03 AM
770mdm

Edited: 05/26/10 11:03 AM
Ridgeback? 
5/26/10 11:48 AM
Ridgeback

I don't live on the HG like you 770 and, based on your posts, you are a Jewish supremacist. 
5/26/10 1:25 PM
770mdm

Edited: 05/26/10 1:36 PM

Ho humm Ridgeback the Troll.  You're a baby who can't argue only accuse.  I respect you for the job that you do (which now is hard to admit...I can't see you admitting to you're own shtick) but I what I do here is very different then you.  I engage in ideas while your time here is spent criticizing them, or at least mine or me personally which you know nothing about.  I do spend too much time here but if I didn't your type of ignorance would trickle in, wouldn't you say?  Post something!  Start a discussion!  Do Something!  I bring a lot of ideas but not you.  Easy way out my friend, reserved for the intellectually deficient.  I am not my posts which is something you should realize.  Many of my ideas I through out there to be challenged or straightened out and I do believe a lot of it but I'm not so sure you could pick out what I actaully believe in and what I don't based on my posts.  Or who or what kind of person I am off this blog which is something else your assuming.  Based on your posts I really can't say much.  Fair enough?  Sad but fair. 

If I curl into a ball I'm well protected but as soon as I jab it exposes my rib cage, I'm balanced heavier on my front leg.  If I hit you you get hurt but if I miss I'm twice as vulnerable.  Espeicailly when you, you're laying in wait.  I've been labled by you and you can viciously attack me when I've been exposing my ideas.  That's why your a looser, because you just sit and criticize. 

I should just realize your scum and not give you this type online respect. 

Mods?  Ridge isn't discussing anything but accusing unfoundedly and insighting a characther assasination type blogging.  I think he's violating the tennants of this forum which is to be RESPECTFUL.  Since all we can do at this point is badger each other, because he's not saying why he thinks I'm a supremacist or anything, I say we get on with our lives.  Unless he wants to challenge me on why he thinks I'm a Supremacist.  That would be interesting but unless he's willing to learn something, which a preconcieved notioned person like himself obviously couldn't  I don't know what you can do to him but please stop this so we can move on to some productive thinking.

5/26/10 1:51 PM
770mdm

Edited: 05/26/10 2:34 PM
 Just curious, are you bitching at me because on the Toelocku's thread "Physical Heaven Beleivers...Question?  You and Reverend got into it a bit and I posted "add" after one of his defensive replies.  What happened there was I posted something then erased it, and had to type something because the system doesn't allow you to leave a blank or erased post, I think.  It looked like I was defending Reverend against you.  Well, I wasn't.  The add was just like me typing asdf;lkj .  So if that's why your coming after me then realize it was a misunderstanding.  

Funny, on that post you accused Reverend of Personal attacks but that's exactly what you're doing.  Unless you can state why you think I'm a supremacist, based on my posts, I don't think that's the right word for me.  Hyper, overly enthusiastic, spastic, over zealous, too much, annoying etc.  but I just don't see supremacist.  Blech, unless you are sucked into that David Duke world then I'm just left feeling sorry for you and need to blog more about what Judaism is!  What what you think it is actually isn't!  Maybe you should instead tell me about what you believe and we can figure it out from there.  How's that?
5/26/10 3:58 PM
770mdm

http://www.jewishpress.com/pageroute.do/43880

He believed "Judaism never saved anybody" and that unless you believe in Jesus you will burn in hell. This included the 6 million Jews who perished in the Holocaust.

He aggressively targeted Jews for conversion and is responsible for the loss of countless young Jews and the destruction of thousands of Jewish families.

Both Jewish and mainline Christian clergy condemned Rosen's aggressive and controversial proselytizing methods. In 1990 Rev. David Selzer wrote, "Jews for Jesus is another attempt to deny Jewish identity to Jews as a Christian I oppose the group."

On the website www.UsedForJesus.com, ex-Jews for Jesus staff members testify to the abusive and cult-like atmosphere within Jews for Jesus, including the above mentioned "pain training" as well as shunning of former members, rigid restrictions to personal life, and raging and intense anger. I met Rosen on three occasions and each time witnessed his inexplicable outbursts of rage.

Rosen obviously ignored the words of the Rev. Billy Graham who wrote in a 1973 press release, "gimmicks, coercion and intimidation have no place in my evangelistic efforts."

Misuse of biblical passages to prove Jesus is the messiah is a mainstay of Jews for Jesus. Their proof-texts are either taken out of context or mistranslated. In one of their pamphlets they quote a non-existent passage from the Zohar concerning the Shema, in a pathetic attempt to prove the Trinity is a Jewish concept.

This brings me to what I consider to be Rosen's second most deceptive tactic. On page 52 of his book Share the New Life With a Jew, he instructs missionaries to not get "sidetracked with discussion on the deity of Christ." He continues to explain that as important as this doctrine may be, "correct theology is not what will save your friend."

In other words, don't bring up the most crucial beliefs of Christianity, the trinity or bodily incarnation of God, since they are difficult for Jews to accept because they contradict our fundamental Jewish belief in the absolute unity of God. 

Jews for Judaism was created 25 years ago as a direct response to Rosen and Jews for Jesus. They recognize us as a formidable adversary due to our effective educational programs, materials and websites, and our passionate counselors who have helped inspire thousands of Jews to return to their faith.

Today, the Jewish community must redouble its efforts to keep Jews Jewish.

5/27/10 8:54 PM
jrrrrr
381 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nice 770...
5/31/10 12:13 AM
the rooster
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

770, I wouldn't sweat ridge. I haven't been on here for a long time (work is good but busy) and he's up to his same "tactics".

I have never read anything you've said to be "supremecist" in any sense of the word. you and I have discussed two very different belief systems with threads of commonality between them.

Ridge believes his views are "superior" and if anyone contradicts them (for instance I'm a Christian who doesn't believe in the trinity while believing in the deity of Jesus as Messiah) then it's out with the "heretic" etc.

Oh well. Like I said, don't sweat it. Everything I read from you was engaging and when I disagreed with you, you were resepectful.
6/1/10 11:15 AM
770mdm

Edited: 06/01/10 11:16 AM
Thanks Rooster.  Reguardless of What He belives his accusation of me is just an insult masked as a fact.  I gave him a chance to back up his accusation but when he couldn't and just wanted to lay insult I realized he was just trying to provoke me.  I could respect his beliefs and would argue positions but unfounded accusations and insults make me cringe when I have to deal with that kind of vermin.  Anyway, that's partly why the Ramban won the disputations, his opponents couldn't agree on what the trinity was.  When someones take on something is outsmarted you only have conviction and blind faith.  That's what he has...  And good insults. 

Thanks Rooster  
6/1/10 11:12 PM
the rooster
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no problem 770. One of the earliest surviving (though one sided) debates is a hellenistic convert named Tertullian.

What's interesting is some admissions he makes about his opponents (and the "masses") interpretation of Christianity. He says a couple of interesting things:

http://mb-soft.com/believe/txv/tertullp.htm

"The simple, indeed, (I will not call them unwise and unlearned, ) who always CONSTITUTE THE MAJORITY OF BELIEVERS, are startled at the dispensation of the Three in One), on the ground that THEIR VERY FULE OF FAITH withdraws them from the world's PLURALITY OF GODS to the one only true God; not understanding that, although He is the one only God, He must yet be believed in with His own .

The numerical order and distribution of the Trinity they assume to be a division of the Unity; whereas the Unity which derives the Trinity out of its own self is so far from being destroyed, that it is actually supported by it.

They are constantly throwing out against us that we are preachers of TWO GODS AND THREE GODS, while they take to themselves pre-eminently the credit of being worshippers of the ONE God; just as if the Unity itself with irrational deductions did not produce heresy, and the Trinity rationally considered constitute the truth. W

e, say they, maintain the Monarchy (or, sole government of God). And so, as far as the sound goes, do even Latins (and ignorant ones too) pronounce the word in such a way that you would suppose their understanding of the (or Monarchy) was as complete as their pronunciation of the term. Well, then Latins take pains to pronounce the (or Monarchy), while Greeks actually REFUSE TO UNDERSTAND the Dispensation (of the Three in One)."

So Tertullian admits that the established majority (gentiles) reject this hellenized interpretation of Christianity and it's interpretation of a plurality of persons. It's foreign to them and their not to far removed from the original preaching of Paul and Peter. This notion is foreign to them and considered polytheistic (the doctrine of the trinity).

Then he says something really interesting:

"But, (this doctrine of yours bears a likeness) to the JEWISH FAITH, of which this is the substance'so to believe in ONE GOD as to refuse to reckon the Son besides Him, and after the Son the Spirit. Now, what difference would there be between us and them, if there were not this distinction which you are for breaking down?"

So he admits that Praexes and the majority Christian believers that are Rome and Greek have a more "Jewish" faith. Well duh! The founder of Christianity and His apostoles and the first revivals were ALL JEWISH! Of course the notion of a trinity was foreign to them. The shema declares there is only One God. The distinction between the Father, Son and Spirit were in how the same God manifest Himself as creator, redeemer (in flesh) and in regeneration.

I know you don't agree with that but I believe firmly that Christianity has lost much of it's "jewishness" in "favor" of a hellinzed version. To it's loss in my opinon. Anyway, I digress :-)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.