UnderGround Forums

Alabama Underground >> Places to train around Tuscaloosa

5/21/10 10:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
yuriki98
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looking for any places around T town. Moving back and not sure what's around that area now. I have a BJJ/Judo backgound and a little bit of MMA experince.
5/22/10 3:38 PM
FullBlastJKD
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Come check out our gym, Headhunters Combatives. We have the best facility and coaches in town. We have two pro MMA fighters, John Salter and Chris Davis. John just won his second fight in the UFC and Chris has 3 Pro titles and a long string of victories in MMA. John is probably the best grappler in the state. All in all, we have two purple belts and a bunch of blue belts training there. The website is http://www.headhunterscrossfit.com

There are a few TKD schools that have BJJ "curriculums" there are a couple of other MMA gyms around the area, and I believe a new BJJ school is opening with a guy named Mike Shuttlesworth who is a legit purple under Jacare (he may be a brown belt by now)

Anyway, come check out the gym and see if you like it. I should be back from Iraq in a couple of weeks so hopefully I will get to meet you.

If we can't help you, and you would rather train in Birmingham, then my highest recommendation is Spartan Fitness. After that would be Samuel Puccio who is a Black Belt under Rodrigo Medieros.

Up in Cullman there are 3 Machado Black Belts at Triad Martial Arts.

Over in Childersburg there is a great teacher named James Srygly who is a Brown (should be black belt) his school is one of the best.

Hope to see you soon!

Bryan
5/22/10 7:15 PM
yuriki98
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sweet thanks for the info brother. You on active or contracting? Who are you guys under for your BJJ?
5/22/10 10:06 PM
Josh J

John is awesome, but I'd have to disagree about him being the best grappler in the state. I can think of 3 or 4 people that I think would beat him in a grappling match. I've been hoping to see him and Daniel O'Brien cross paths in competition at some point. I'd LOVE to see that match happen.

I'd definitely agree that you have the best facility and coaches in Tuscaloosa though. Based on the people I've met, it seems like you are good people as well. Anyone who ever asks me about where to train in that area, I recommend you guys.
5/23/10 12:45 PM
cb2sdavis

Edited: 05/23/10 1:17 PM
 That would be a great match, but I have to be honest there isn't an amount of money that I wouldn't put on salter.  Who are the other three or four people that you think can beat him?

Thanks for compliment about our gym man, I gotta get up there and roll with you guys some time. 
5/23/10 2:13 PM
Josh J

Daniel is only a brown belt. I think Daniel could beat him, because at his last competition he tapped a black belt to make it to the finals and was dominating the current brown belt world champion up until a freak knee injury. He was winning that match easily. To be honest, I've yet to see anyone in this state really even give him any trouble on the ground other than our black belts. I think Salter might be able to score points on takedowns and avoid the sub and maybe win by points, but I think he would most likely get tapped by Daniel.

We have 2 black belts who are better than him, and a 3rd degree that dominates all of them. Those are the other 3 I'm referring to.

Don't get me wrong, I think Salter is a beast. But, I've seen Daniel compete in countless competitions.

You guys should come up. We'd love to have you. You should bring some guys up one Saturday. I might be able to round some guys up and us come down there as well.
5/23/10 2:58 PM
cb2sdavis

That would be awesome love to have you guys down, I will get with Salter and a few fo the other guys here and will try to make it up there on day. I will hit you up after I talk to soem of them this week.

I know daniel is a beast, I think I saw a video of that match when he messed up his knee, that sucks hope everything is ok with that. I am pretty sure Salter wouldn't get tapped by daniel though. He would either take him down and win on points or submit him. I have seen salter submit some very legit black belts, no offense to daniel, he is a beast, but I am a little biased for my training partner, LOL!!
5/23/10 6:04 PM
FullBlastJKD

yuriki98 - Sweet thanks for the info brother. You on active or contracting? Who are you guys under for your BJJ?

No problem. I am a reservist in the Air Force, about to head back to the states. I am under Carlos Machado, and most of the blue belts are belted through him. John is a purple (but should be a black belt)under Chris Hauter, so pretty much the same lineage LOL

Josh, you are a cool guy. It was nice meeting you back at the last Carlos seminar. I know that the guys up there are tough, but don't count Salter out so easily. He is a serious force to be reckoned with. But I would love to see that match myself! I would like to see those guys in GQ or the Pan Ams. I think John would do quite well in there against some of the best grapplers in the world.
5/23/10 6:09 PM
FullBlastJKD

Oh, and Josh, I specifically said "probably the best", I am sure there are others out there that can give John a run for his money.

Almost forgot, down in mobile there is Jimmy Mills. I know you asked about Tuscaloosa, but I like to throw shout outs to all the awesome instructors in the state. Jimmy is one of the best.

In Mississippi there are a few good instructors, I believe there is a purple over in Meridian, and I know that there is a Black Belt in Jackson. And down in Hattiesburg there is Alan Hopkins who is a Black Belt under Pedro Sauer.
5/23/10 7:05 PM
yuriki98

FullBlastJKD what are the rates at Headhunters? Who is teachiing the BJJ classes? What all classes do you guys have there?
5/23/10 10:00 PM
cb2sdavis

Yuriki98, not sure if FullBlastJKD can answer that, he has been trying not to get shot for a few months in Iraq and some things have changed. By the way, can't wait to have you back man!!!!! You can call the gym at 205-345-3535 for more info and ask for chris. But I can tell you it is $75 dollars a month with no contract for our MMA program, there are other things we offer to but I can tell you more over the phone, just give em a call.
5/23/10 11:05 PM
yuriki98

cb2sdavis it's a little hard for the phone thing now due to time zone's because I'm deployed out on the other side of the world right now. Thanks for the info!! Do you have an email contact for chris?
5/24/10 12:10 PM
Stranglehold26
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

to call Shuttlesworth a "legit purple' under Jacare is misleading. and if jacare gave him a brown belt, I can no longer say the name jacare without laughing.
5/24/10 12:54 PM
FullBlastJKD

c2bdavis is right, I don't know the prices but shoot those guys an e-mail or call when you get back. Looking forward to meeting you.

Strangle, it is not misleading in the sense that Shuttlesworth did earn his belt directly from Jacare, and I don't know for sure if he is a brown or not, but the guy has been a purple for about 4 or 5 or6 or.....years. I am trying to be nice ok, jeez!

Besides, Jacare did and does maintain the best BJJ team on the planet right now. Love ya brother!!! =)
5/24/10 4:25 PM
cb2sdavis

yuriki98 - cb2sdavis it's a little hard for the phone thing now due to time zone's because I'm deployed out on the other side of the world right now. Thanks for the info!! Do you have an email contact for chris?

Davischristopher64@yahoo.com
5/25/10 4:49 PM
bigmills008

cb2sdavis -  But I can tell you it is $75 dollars a month with no contract for our MMA program

That is an awesome price. I have a kid from Mobile who trained with me a few months that went to school at UA and moved to Ttown. I sent him there to train at Headhunter and he has had all good things to say about it.

As far as a grappling match with Salter. I don't think any pure BJJ guy could beat him in ADCC rules if he wanted to win on points. He could take down and let them up and take them down all he wanted get up on points then work ground game without fear of losing on points.
5/26/10 1:59 AM
williepep
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Josh J - John is awesome, but I'd have to disagree about him being the best grappler in the state. I can think of 3 or 4 people that I think would beat him in a grappling match. I've been hoping to see him and Daniel O'Brien cross paths in competition at some point. I'd LOVE to see that match happen.

I'd definitely agree that you have the best facility and coaches in Tuscaloosa though. Based on the people I've met, it seems like you are good people as well. Anyone who ever asks me about where to train in that area, I recommend you guys.

What rules you are talking about when you talk about best grappler?

Judo?
Sambo?
Wrestling?
ADDC rules?

Name one accomplishment by any of the grapplers you mentioned.

I'd definitely agree that you have the best facility and coaches between Exits 282 and 310 though. Based on the people I've met, it seems like you are a bunch big fish in a little pond. Anyone who ever asks me about where to train in that area, I recommend you guys.

By the way did you watch the Linland v Kevin Casey fight the other night?

Did Kevin Casey's imitation of Rickson remind you of anyone?

By the way I know several Aikido instructors who think all of you guys are a joke. I'd love to see that match happen.
5/26/10 9:21 AM
rnr7

Aikido?
5/26/10 9:32 AM
rnr7

Salter was a national champion wrestler, casca grossa champ, naga champ(that's all I can think of). I dont know the O'brien boys to well, but I do know they are all beast when it comes to grappling. I know all of them have done very well in NAGA and other tournaments(triadmartialarts.com).
5/26/10 6:42 PM
Josh J

Edited: 05/26/10 6:44 PM
Tell the Aikido guys to come see us. Anyone is invited.

As for their accomplishments, their rank under Carlos Machado is an accomplishment in itself. Competition results are on the website if you want to look at them.

I'm basing me saying they are great grapplers on the fact that they are extremely good. I guess if I had to pick a rule set, I'd say ADCC. Salter is an amazing grappler. I just think he would lose to those guys. It's not a crack on him at all. It's just one mans opinion. I know he'd smoke my ass in a grappling match.
5/27/10 8:58 AM
Stranglehold26
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would love to see Salter v some of the higher belts at Triad. I know it would be a great and probably very technical match for sure.

Josh I think we all agree that there needs to be a formal "no homo" any time you use the term "smoke my ass".

Judges?
5/27/10 9:05 AM
cb2sdavis

agreed. not that there's anything wrong with it... LOL!!! took that from srygley, LOL!!
5/27/10 1:09 PM
rnr7

Well Chris, judging from your facebook page, you would know about that. Sorry man, I had to.
5/27/10 6:19 PM
Josh J

It's only gay to smoke ass, having your ass smoked isn't gay.
5/27/10 7:21 PM
ovrgrwnkd

Josh J - It's only gay to smoke ass, having your ass smoked isn't gay.

Unless the ass you're smoking is hanging off a smokin' hot blonde chick. Then it's ok. :)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.