UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Ok, 2nd try. Awesome test rides!

5/22/10 8:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
big_slacker
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/22/10 9:07 PM

Thursday I drove into town to do some bidness and then stopped by a local audi/porsche/exotic place to see about the 75k service on the A4. I didn't know this place was here and they had LOTS of toys. '69 camaro SS w/427, a nice ducati 999, lambo, bentley and loads of porsches. 

I got to talking with the lead sales guy who turned out to be a porsche fanatic. I've been kicking around hanging up the leathers and getting a sports car now that my wife is pregnant. I'd looked at the cayman and 996 carreras so we were talking about the differences. His main point was that you could talk all day but you'd have to drive them to get an impression of what you wanted. After that he just about twisted my arm to do test drives (ok, he didn't have to twist very hard) because of course he got to drive as well. :D

I ended up taking out a 996 C4 (thats the previous generation AWD non-turbo 911) which had a (shudder) tiptronic, with steering wheel shifters. Actually the tiptronic was not bad at all, I left it in manual mode and just shifted with the buttons. I can't shift that fast, I doubt you can either. This car had intake/exhaust and sounded great. Not ricey, could have been stock till you got on it. Tons of grip, 911's are supposed to have loose rear ends (haha!) but this one had none of that with the AWD. It was pretty comfy as well and could easily be a daily driver. Power was good. Not sportbike good, but 5 second 0-60 good. 

Then the cayman. This was the "S" model with 265 HP and a 6 speed. Smaller than the 911, not quite as comfy and not quite as quiet. Its a sports car, and isn't meant to be anything else. Acceleration felt just about even with the 911. Less power but less weight, call it a wash. Super smooth transmission, I haven't driven a stick in over 5 years and was downshifting to 2nd going into to 25mph corners with confidence. And as for corner, holy fucking hell does that car grip. I mean just CRAZY grip and super precise steering. Again, I haven't done much "sport" driving in a car in years and this one bone stock gave so much confidence. The sales guy complimented me on doing a "real" test drive instead of boring him like most of the doctors he goes with. :D

I had to leave the dealership or I would have ended up with one of those cars, especially considering the downright reasonable prices. They weren't a lot higher than the craigslist prices for private party stuff. All told I was there for 2 hours and had a lot of fun on the extended test drives. Truth be told I'd have trouble picking one of those cars. The cayman might be more fun in the tight stuff, but the 911 would be a better all around car, especially on road trips. I guess you really couldn't go wrong.

Pics of the test models:

5/25/10 10:23 PM
Atecexa
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so you stroked the guy for 2 hours and didnt buy?
5/26/10 10:39 AM
big_slacker
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/26/10 10:38 AM
I told him up front and again before we test drove that I wouldn't be buying anything till after my kid was born. I'm not "that guy".

Another thing that I didn't mention here is the bang for the buck thing. I've long been solidly in the "why pay x for a car that does y when you can build/mod something as fast for less?" camp.

You can take a used WRX for instance and for the same cost as these close to stock cars build a fire breathing, 400hp, big brake, coilover equipped..... race car. But then you've got a race car that is loud, might require some constant tweaking, less comfort, etc...

Or you could just live with a sports/GT car that only does 0-60 in 5, is quiet and driveable (midrange) around town, comfortable, can go around a corner or stop just as fast bone stock with a warranty.

Maybe I'm getting old. :D
5/27/10 9:38 PM
White347LX
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not getting old, just richer.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.