UnderGround Forums

Kickboxing UnderGround >> ? about kicks

5/23/10 11:00 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
roninmuaythai
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In several pictures and matches that I have seen I've noticed different hand positions on the kicks. For example, when I throw my right kick I hold my left hand across my face diagonally at a 90 degree angle, but I've noticed several thai's hold there left hands at their temple. Is this just personal preference or by pulling the left arm back they are generating more push/pull action with their bodies? I was taught the left arm in front of the face to prevent the cross, but if I move it to the side of my face the distance and rotation of my right shoulder across the center line should prevent the cross, if executed at the appropriate time. Thanks.
5/24/10 10:18 AM
Khun Kao
1339 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I typically keep my guard hand by the temple. Use the shoulder to block the straight punch and have the arm in place at the side of the head to prevent a counter-kick.

I personally believe that the hand beside the temple is a more "sound" tactic.
5/24/10 11:17 AM
Bull_in_chinashop
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I believe there is no right or wrong here it's preference ex. I beleive that the forearm should go across the chin as you lean and twist your upper body into the kick. I think protecting the chin from the cross counter punch is a much more common counter than the lead leg kick in MMA. For muay thai, maybe Brooks is 100% correct. I'm not sure. that's not my bag baby!

5/24/10 4:59 PM
roninmuaythai

Thanks for the responses.
5/24/10 5:45 PM
Ryukyu Damashi
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is no seet hand position it is an active block, meaning you stay aware and defend.
5/24/10 6:11 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ryukyu Damashi - There is no seet hand position it is an active block, meaning you stay aware and defend.
Agreed, if you've got the proper mechanics and have leaned off the center line, the arm placement can change to the appropriate defense.

5/24/10 10:55 PM
roninmuaythai

Thanks for the input.
6/6/10 3:37 PM
The Sultan

Khun Kao - I typically keep my guard hand by the temple. Use the shoulder to block the straight punch and have the arm in place at the side of the head to prevent a counter-kick.

I personally believe that the hand beside the temple is a more "sound" tactic.
I agree with Khun Kao.....

The hand across the face seems like a theoretical maneuver and doesn't seem very practical....

My left hand is up by the temple. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.