UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Marc Laimon on fallout w/Gracies + much more

5/25/10 1:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CagePotato
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The outspoken jiu-jitsu coach has lots of opinions. In this exclusive CP interview, he shares his thoughts on Eddie Bravo, awful MMA commentary, and the current "leather helmet" era of MMA. But first, the background of his falling out with the Gracies...

CP: So what was it that started this whole feud between you and the Gracies?

ML: I was training eight or nine hours a day, all day and I was starting to get pretty good. Then I went to the Pan-Ams and I saw guys there doing moves I had never seen before. I saw omoplatas and I saw [Vitor] “Shaolin” [Ribeiro] tap Robin Gracie when they were both brown belts and I was like, “WOW!” Shaolin had only trained something like three-and-a-half years. I went back to the academy and Rorian told me that I wasn’t ready for that kind of jiu-jitsu. I could understand. I had only been training like nine months at the time, and even though I had been training a lot, there’s a lot to adjust to techniques like that. The system takes a while to understand, but when you’ve got guys who are four-year blue belts and guys who have been training six or seven years and THEY’RE not ready, you start to wonder, “When are they ready?” Then you start wondering if it’s a cop out and they just don’t know this stuff or don’t want to learn it. By “they,” I’m talking about Rorian. Each Gracie is an individual and different. My main problem was with Rorian and how he did things. He’d say things like “Everybody who left the academy is bad – they’re bad apples.” Well, I started to think, “Maybe the apples aren’t bad; maybe you’re a bad farmer.”

There were all of these things going on. They wouldn’t let anyone compete in outside tournaments. If you just blindly followed everything they told you, everything was good, but if you ever questioned what was going on and used logic to see how things happened in the real world, you started to see that things were just a little bit different than what you were being told. I think that’s what happened. Even to this day I think that there are some shady sides to jiu-jitsu when guys are making a ton of money off of these tournaments, which is their goal – to make money off of Americans and every year you hear about guys getting screwed at the Pan-Ams, or screwed at the World [Jiu-Jitsu Championships] and they’re like “What are you going to do about it?” Guys threaten not to compete and they’re told, “This year it will be different,” and it never is. All these guys are making money off of their black belts and their video tapes and they charge these guys a lifetime’s worth of fees to compete even though people are coming to see them and they are giving back to the community. It’s just a whole lot of hoarding and greed going on in the sport. That’s not a positive environment to breed a sport in.

Lots more here...

5/25/10 1:33 PM
RickStorm
1510 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

(From article)
"Vinny Magahalaes had a great post on the Underground. He said “I can’t cash in my medal and buy groceries and medicine."

Laimon's a Lurker maybe

Good article CP.. thanks
5/25/10 1:35 PM
MentaL
526 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i like laimon now, he was my coach on ufc undisputed 2010, he was there with me every step of the way!
5/25/10 1:40 PM
keiths
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

didnt realize mayweather fought hopkins. coulda swore it was mosley i seen him in the ring with. lol
5/25/10 1:53 PM
jman
423 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mmm Phil Jackson did play in the NBA...but I get his point
5/25/10 1:54 PM
RedDragons
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The way ML talks about it, the more Gracie JJ resembles a highly dogmatic religion. Which by now it really is. You are told the same things by most major religions ("WE are right. If you follow them you will go to hell.").

Great read and I gained a bit more respect for Marc.
5/25/10 1:56 PM
John Crouch
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Marc is a smart guy and super talented as a coach.  I agree with his point about coaches being good at their jobs without being fighters.  However, Phil Jackson played in the NBA and has a championship ring as a player with the New York Knicks........ and I looked it up on my iphone!  Good interview.
5/25/10 2:12 PM
ChrisHerzog
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/25/10 2:12 PM
10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu Rochester, Head Instructor
 Very nice read, I've always dug Marc's perspective on Grappling, I'd love to be able to train with him someday. 
5/25/10 2:25 PM
shibbyguy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol

ask chris brennan what he thinks of laimon

many guys dont like him for a reason
5/25/10 2:40 PM
Beeno
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good shit.

Kind of ironic he brings up an iPhone changed hs life because he can fact check people in a matter of seconds, then he goes on to fail in two spots.

Phil Jackson never played basketball?

When the fuck did Mayweather fight Hopkins? Little bit of a weight difference, no?

But great interview, I like Laimon.
5/25/10 2:40 PM
sawdusk
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/25/10 2:45 PM
I logged on here to talk about phil jackson as well... he played...
5/25/10 2:44 PM
thforklift
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think he's a douche but there is no denying his talent as a coach nor his overall knowledge of the game. And he bought up good point after good point after good point. Good for Cage Potato, because those lists have been less than thrilling lately. 
5/25/10 2:47 PM
BJJkilla
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He talked about being able to google things on his iphone but he made comments about jackson never playing basketball and floyd/hopkins.
5/25/10 2:58 PM
BigWilliam
217 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

laimon has done some good things but generally he thinks he knows more than he actually does. The Jackson comment is pretty much par for the course with that guy.
5/25/10 3:12 PM

i don't care about his marc lemon opinion

- m. serra
5/25/10 3:12 PM
Zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Colt Seavers - “Maybe the apples aren’t bad; maybe you’re a bad farmer.”

I like that.
It's almost as clever as calling someone an expert swimmer who never gets in the pool.
5/25/10 3:14 PM
flyingtoehold
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Marc speaks the truth.

5/25/10 3:15 PM
MolsonMuscles
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matt Serra ripping Laimon a new one on TUF was funny as fuck.
5/25/10 3:20 PM
sim
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Laimon said he never used Phil Jackson for his analogy, he said Red Auerbach. Also the floyd/hopkins thing was wrong. It was floyd/mosley
5/25/10 3:38 PM
Steve4192
199 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you look at guys like Phil Jackson, who holds the record for the most NBA wins and he never played basketball.

5/25/10 3:48 PM
BruceLeeMMAfighting
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sim - Laimon said he never used Phil Jackson for his analogy, he said Red Auerbach. Also the floyd/hopkins thing was wrong. It was floyd/mosley

Whoever wrote the article for Cage Potato realy dropped the ball and is unprofessional then.

How can you mistake Phil Jackson for Red Auerbach?

The article basically makes Laimon sound like an idiot since almost everyone knows that Phil played for the NY Knicks.

5/25/10 3:51 PM
lueng jon

Edited: 05/25/10 4:01 PM
ML is very skilled, however, I heard back in the day he used to talk smack to guys while competing in a small grappling competitions. along the lines "Who's you instructor?" "He/you sucks" Offering a $1000 if they could tap him and could put up the money.
5/25/10 3:52 PM
jacktripper

interesting
5/25/10 3:59 PM
RickStorm
1510 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I guess Marc said those things for guys like me who have no idea who Phil Jackson is... errr I guess I do now.. He played for the Nicks.. lol

Oh I get it now!!! Duh
5/25/10 4:18 PM
Posty Magee

ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.