UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC's Buffer announcing at WEC 49 in June

5/25/10 11:26 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1064 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

MMAjunkie.com has learned that veteran UFC announcer Bruce Buffer has agreed to handle announcing duties at June's "WEC 49: Varner vs. Shalorus" event.

While terms of the deal were not disclosed, Buffer's contract with the WEC does not appear to be long-term in nature at this time and instead applies only to the June event.

Buffer's services were required following the recent departure of former WEC announcer Joe Martinez.

While Buffer certainly won't be a new face to mixed martial arts fans, he will be making his official WEC debut. Buffer also handled announcing duties for April's "Aldo vs. Faber" event, though the WEC identity was removed from the entirety of that broadcast.

Read entire article...

5/25/10 11:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
THP
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good news! Buffer is the fucking man.
5/26/10 12:03 AM
cweatapeach
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

THP - Good news! Buffer is the fucking man.

Well said, brutha.

I hope he does a verbal 360.
5/26/10 12:06 AM
AK-BJJ
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fuckin brutal
5/26/10 12:32 AM
DJLastCall
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's (about) time...
5/26/10 3:42 AM
DannyOcean
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Martinez left because he got signed to a boxing contract.
5/26/10 4:01 AM
HOWtasteMYbigPP
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/26/10 4:01 AM
Nicknitro - I wonder if the UFC can afford Jimmy Lennon Jr?

Sure, Bruce and even Michael Buffer must come much cheaper, but it would be a real treat for the fans to have a true icon and legend in there like Jimmy Lennon Jr.

I'd be willing to bet Buffer gets paid more by the UFC than Lennon Jr. does from Strikeforce.
5/26/10 11:33 AM
Zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nicknitro - I wonder if the UFC can afford Jimmy Lennon Jr?

Sure, Bruce and even Michael Buffer must come much cheaper, but it would be a real treat for the fans to have a true icon and legend in there like Jimmy Lennon Jr.
Dana is all about the brand. Bruce is part of his brand. Jimmy is part of the other brand.

Besides, if Jimmy tried to perform a 180, he would certainly shred to pieces. Can't have paying customers ducking parts of his spleen moments before the main event.
5/26/10 11:35 AM
Argonaut
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dumb decision is dumb

Joe Martinez is my favorite announcer.
5/26/10 12:04 PM
DJLastCall
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I announced the undercard for the StrikeForce Challengers event in Kent, WA last summer. Jimmy Lennon Jr took over for the live Showtime telecast.

Having seen him in person for the first time, up close, I realized that not only does he wear a gallon of makeup, but he's looking a hell of a lot older than he does on TV, too.

Zuffa owns both UFC and WEC...no sense in them paying two guys to do what one can.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.