UnderGround Forums

Cigars, Beer & Poker Ground >> Bubble pain

5/27/10 3:15 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
andre
417 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Played in a small live tournament today at Hollywood Park. I can honestly say I played my best poker to get to the final table with the third largest stack. I could have coasted into the money, but I played a smart game and took down some blinds when I could and made some great laydowns at pretty crucial moments.

The tournament only paid 3 places and finally there were 4 of us left.

I'm on the button with kings. SB has approximately 60,000 in chips, I've got 40,000. BB has 20,000 and the last guy has about 12,000. The blinds were 1200/2400 with 200 antes.

UTG limps and I raise to 10,000. I'm hoping to get the blinds to fold and have the limper take his shot. To my surprise, the SB calls! Not what I wanted, but I'm feeling good with my kings and resolve to be ready to fold if there's an ace on the flop. The limper folds.

The flop comes 8-5-2 rainbow. SB checks and I put him on A-something and so I shove. Instead of folding he snap calls and before he turns over his cards I say "set, huh?"

He turns over pocket 8s for top set and I go from being a sure thing to cash to walking away like a loser.

I know I should have shoved on the button. I know he was a huge dog preflop and that I would have wanted a call, but given that I was on the bubble I think a shove preflop was the only right play.

Any thoughts?
5/27/10 1:05 PM
andre
417 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tiger,

He checked the board the same way he would have if he missed with two over cards. I cant wait for a an ace to hit by checking all the way down. Perhaps I could have bet another 10,000 but what do I do if he shoves? I have to call with kings and hope he has a pocket pair not on the board. I cant fold kings on that board, I dont think.
5/27/10 6:22 PM
wreckker
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

how much does bubble pay in relation to first?

Your stratedgy depends on the payouts..

problem is your hand is too strong

things is you WANT ACTION from the small stacks  especially.

I would of raised LESS preflop and then gone busted anyways....

nothing you can do IMO.

shoiving pre is not optimal either  an ace gets to see 5 cards ...plua all the hands u dominate prolly wont give u action.

88 may or may not call.

just bad luck

5/27/10 8:55 PM
bismanfightclub
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wreckker -  how much does bubble pay in relation to first?

Your stratedgy depends on the payouts..

problem is your hand is too strong

things is you WANT ACTION from the small stacks  especially.

I would of raised LESS preflop and then gone busted anyways....

nothing you can do IMO.

shoiving pre is not optimal either  an ace gets to see 5 cards ...plua all the hands u dominate prolly wont give u action.

88 may or may not call.

just bad luck

Bubble means you were 1 place away from making the money. Some places will have a few prizes for bubble boy, like T-shirts, drink tickets etc. But it always sucks being bubble boy.
5/28/10 4:34 AM
PR
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There was nothing wrong with your play Andre. In fact if you think SB and BBs are aggro, a normal raise is probably better than a shove.

Shit happens in tournaments man.
5/29/10 1:26 AM
andre

Played in another tournament last night. $150 buy in, 70 players.

I had a bad combination of going completely card dead from the second hour on plus an extremely loose aggressive player just to my left. I couldnt make any plays with him to my left because he raised almost every hand I entered and saw all five cards no matter what. I am not exaggerating when I say that my best hand during that time was an A-10 suited, with which I had to shove because I was down to 10 big blinds. I got called by AK off and sucked out a flush on the river. That doubled me up but the cards (7-3off, K-6off, J-5etc...) were just too bad to justify putting it all in. We were down to 15 players and I had just 12 BB left when I finally hit something great to shove with (considering my situation) A-9 offsuit from UTG! (less than ideal, lol). I shove and get two callers...one with 88 and the other with 10-10. I was really glad to see that because I thought for sure I was up against a bigger ace. I spiked an A on the flop and they missed their sets but the board was flushing with spades and I didnt have one. The river was a 10 of spades, which gave 10's the set but 8's the flush. LOL

Poker is crazy.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.