UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> ice baths, i am uneducated about them..

5/27/10 10:44 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bbyslvrbk
332 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

& the potential benefits. discuss please.
5/27/10 5:42 PM
MattB ATC
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It varies person to person. Some swear by them, others discard them, others do contrast baths instead. Ultimately it comes down to what you feel works best for you.

With the athlete's I've worked with, we normally have a line of people waiting to get in the cold tubs after harder practices. For football this happens especially during summer camp. Also, a fair amount of cross country runners use them after longer training sessions, along with soccer, basketball, and volleyball. Most state that they feel it helps decrease soreness and refreshes their legs for the next session.
5/28/10 12:59 AM
ashleigh11
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the theory is that by immersing yourself shortly after a workout will have the same effect as using an ice pack on an injury. it's supposed to lessen inflammation and speed recovery.

i'm not sure if it would logical to use after strenth training because growth is a result of the inflammation/repair process.
5/29/10 3:35 PM
bbyslvrbk
332 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks guys
5/31/10 11:38 AM
WidespreadPanic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you google you'll probably find there's a specific temp and immersion time which benefits post-hard practice DOMS reduction. I think it's somewhere around 45-50 degrees for 10-15 minutes (you might have to work up to it).

IMO the 'contrast' method - hot/cold is a good method. As with any method, journal your results and see what works best for you.

Good luck!

6/1/10 9:59 PM
bbyslvrbk

thanks WP!
1/25/11 3:05 PM
jittaz

i just read in another thread that it helps with chronic fatigue syndrome aswell.
6/11/11 4:49 AM
bullshark

i live and breathe by them
6/23/11 1:09 AM
VARIOUS

check this out:Cryotherapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
6/25/11 6:02 PM
Jaggernautico

I did the ice bath therapy for my lower back issues and it worked really well.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.