UnderGround Forums

Cigars, Beer & Poker Ground >> attn: PR

5/27/10 2:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
El Maquina
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did I read a post of yours that said you were getting out of poker? If so, why? Has the skill level risen so much that it just isn't profitable any more?

Also, how possible is it for a guy to make 50/hr playing small stakes no limit cash games these days?

I've read 2 tourney books by Harrington, what is the best cash game book out there? Thanks!
5/28/10 4:31 AM
PR
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah my plan always was to use poker a stepping stone to better things. I dont want to be a poker pro for 15 years or something.

The games are really tough online. The fad is over, so theres a lot less fish, and most of the people left are very good. Which was expected.

I am starting to look at "outs" now, I might still play poker for a year or two... it's better obv to start looking for jobs before you actually need one.

$50 an hour is possible... not sure what you mean by small stakes. But you have to be good nowadays.
5/28/10 2:07 PM
El Maquina

What I mean is 5/10 NL cash games. Ever read any good cash game books? I see what you mean about doing it for so many years. Has to get old.
5/28/10 4:31 PM
billid
192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

guigui's stats online show him pulling in about $175/hour at 1/2 through 5/10 over the past year and half

when he's on he's playing mostly 2/4 with a couple 1/2 3/6 and 5/10 on 12 tables

one of the best midstakes bum hunters out there.

PTR hand histories daily + Holdem Manager + Table selector = The Win.

5/28/10 4:35 PM
El Maquina

billid - guigui's stats online show him pulling in about $175/hour at 1/2 through 5/10 over the past year and half

when he's on he's playing mostly 2/4 with a couple 1/2 3/6 and 5/10 on 12 tables

one of the best midstakes bum hunters out there.

PTR hand histories daily + Holdem Manager + Table selector = The Win.

Wow, that sounds great. Wonder how many other guys are out there doing that. Also, when playing multiple tables, isn't it hard to keep track of everything going on? Betting patterns, who raised, etc?
5/28/10 5:30 PM
PR
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes. Your win rate drops for every extra table that you add.

But as long as adding a table ups your total win rate, then you make more money.

Say you make $50 an hour playing one table. If you play 2, your win rate per table drops to $35. But you then make $70 per hour of playing two tables. Etc.
5/28/10 5:32 PM
El Maquina

Cool man, thanks for the reply.
5/28/10 5:55 PM
billid
192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There are a few guys out there doing it. Check out pokertableratings.com Has everybody's stats.

as for as GUIGUI_88 playing 12 tables... he's obviously been doing this for a while and really 12 tables isn't that much compared to others like nanonoko who 24tables 6max. That's just insane, especially the hours he puts in. But these guys like everybody else even playing two tables are just watching the HUD stats.

It's not hard to keep track of what is going on. Figure I'm used to 6 tables and sometimes I'm not even in a hand.. usually in 1 sometimes two and more rare 3. So if he is in 2 or 3 at once, it's not that hard.. you're folding all the other hands and just focusing in on these 2 you're in. After playing for years, just a glance at the table and where newer players need time to watch, pros just a split second and it's all automatic. Remember, a lot of these players have come from math backgrounds and competition gamers... so speed and numbers are on their side (ie. nanonoko) It is just like playing a video game. When you first start you don't get the buttons that great and even after a while you think you're doing well but after putting a lot of time in you're pulling off quick combos and running around like a maniac but in control. Same with online poker... do a search on youtube fore 24 tabling.

I remember the first time I opened 2 tables and it was too fast for me... this at full ring tables lol. But once you're used to one, you add another and another.

As for who raised, once you're playing mid stakes most of your hands will end up heads up so as long as you can remember if you raised or not, you're good. Betting patterns might be a bit tougher to follow but I'm not sure they are worried about that as much especially if you're bumhunting just playing the fish... the regs tend to have the same betting pattern anyway.
5/28/10 6:08 PM
billid

and of course playing too many can kill your game. I'm really comfortable playing 6 tables, I know I can play 8 comfortably but I only have two 17" monitors. One for HEM table finder and the other for my tables. sometimes I throw another two tables on my HEM monitor but only if I've found to many hot tables and don't want to let them go.

I think more than that I'll be getting in too many spots where I'm trying to make a big decision on 3 tables at once and I don't like that. Maybe with a better setup I would.
5/30/10 4:26 PM
El Maquina

bill,

Are you playing a tight, aggressive game? Say I want to crush 1/2 NL games, what book is the best for teaching me that? You mentioned the HUD, are you talking about having pokertracker running and looking at that while multitabling? Thanks!
5/30/10 5:12 PM
El Maquina

Checked out the 25 multitabling, pretty impressive. By the way also found a few guys on youtube that have posted strategy videos and are trolling, LOL.
6/5/10 1:05 AM
billid

yeah, HUD is heads up display

I do play at TAG game. I'm only in the micros and have been here forever since coming back to the game. Just in the last few months I stepped up and started learning again. I've cleaned up my game quite a bit.. I was making so many mistakes it was horrible. I had a lot of the leaks your average TAG player has.

My advice to you would be to hit up the 2+2 forums and get into the micro forums and read all of Verneers thread "Moving up through UNL 2010" or something like that. It's always at the top. That and join cardrunners to watch all his videos.

He really shows you how to properly beat the micros starting at $10NL. I wouldn't jump right into $200NL. Beat the micros while learning then tackle the small stakes.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.