UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Shoulder impingement questions

5/30/10 12:21 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
superdave08402
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For about 6 months, I've had pain and aching in the front of my shoulder near the bicep. I think I hurt it doing upright rows. The pain was getting pretty bad, so I went to a chiropracter. He said I had a degenerative disk in my neck, which was causing nerve damage. I went to the chiropractor for a few weeks, and the pain was greatly reduced. However, it was still present at night and after workouts.
Last week, I started doing rotator cuff exercises with a rubber exercise band.
Two nights ago, I felt some pain in my shoulder, worse than usual, so I stretched it out. It was painful, and I heard a "pop" in my shoulder. However, after this happened, the pain in my shoulder was greatly reduced. I worked out today, and was able to do preacher curls for the first time in 6 months with a minimum and manageable amount of discomfort.
Do you think the rotator cuff exercises with the rubber exercise band have helped to release most of the impingement? Has anybody else experienced this?
5/30/10 2:19 PM
MattB ATC
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Impingement has as much to do with proper scapular stability and mobility as it does with rotator cuff weakness/tendonapathy. If the scapula is not positioned in the correct place, the humeral head won't be in the proper alignment and will place undue stress on the rotator cuff and place the shoulder in a position to induce impingement symptoms.

Make sure you have proper T-Spine mobility, scapular stability and mobility, and rotator cuff strength. Read this article to give you a better understanding and some exercises to help:

Push-Ups, Face Pulls, and Shrugs...for Strong and Healthy Shoulders! by Bill Hartman and Mike Robertson
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/pushups_face_pulls_and_shrugs
5/31/10 9:57 AM
von niten
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had rotator/labrum surgery last week on my left shoulder.  They also performed an acromioplasty where they smooth out the bones.  My acromion bone was hooked over at the end and that was always causing me pain.  They basically shave the hook off which decompresses the area.  Not everyone's bone hooks over.

I had this same surgery on my right shoulder 10yrs ago and it feels better than ever.  May be something you want to check into.
7/9/10 9:17 PM
Chappie
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for later.
1/16/12 12:05 PM
sta94
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MattB, thanks for the link. TTT for later.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.