UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Fasting?

5/31/10 5:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Joe Ray
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/31/10 5:33 PM

I have seen this discussed on here before. And I remember Rev John saying he does it.

I'm interested in trying fasting for the health benefits in detoxing my body and because I have read it improves creativity and overall energy

So my questions for those who have experience with fasting are: How should I go about?

Shall I try fasting for 36 hours this weekend to start myself off?

How much fruit juice should I allow myself to consume in order to maintain some level of energy?

Thanks in advance.
5/31/10 6:53 PM
IBI
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not sure it actually does anything from a health point of view. You should ask about that on the main OG forum, or one of the training ones.

Religious fasts are done for spiritual purposes.
6/1/10 12:46 AM
martial_shadow
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ok, my OPINON- based on both experience and the training I received in the medical field.

Fasting for more than 16 hours is BAD. Regularly fasting for 12-16 hours has positive effects on most animal models (some also show benefit with alternate day fasting but quite simply, humans aren't designed to thrive on it).

I spent a period where I fasted 14-18 hours a day EVERY DAY for 4 months. After the first 3 weeks, I loved it and the simplicity it gave to my life. However life eventually intervened and I could no longer manage it. You need to have an incredibly controlled and regular scheduele in order to manage it (esp the 3 weeks, when everything looks like food or makes you edgy).

Its not for everyone. It requires a lot of discipline and control. You HAVE to get at least 7 hours of sleep a night. You Have to workout out at least 3 days a week HARD (I was working out 10 times every 5 days with very elite people at the time). You have to let your body adjust to ketones (this in and of itself is torutre for most westerners who only ever burn sugar). You have to dial in your nutrition (what I did was weigh, measure all my meat and fish on Sunday, cook it, freeze it. That way I only had to weight/measure my salads, nuts on that day- it reduces the chances of you just going cookie monster on everything in the kitchen if half your diet is already planned out and just needs 2 min in the microwave).

HTH

MS
6/1/10 2:11 AM
Juijitsuboxer
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I do religious fasts and have found that once you get past day 3 or 4 (24 hour fasts) it gets much better. I mostly drink water, but will drink some green tea when I need something warm or with taste. I love religious fasts, they really help me focus on the Lord and make me realize where my true needs are and that my flesh wants to consume so much more than what it really needs.

Luke 5

33They said to him, "John's disciples often fast and pray, and so do the disciples of the Pharisees, but yours go on eating and drinking." 34Jesus answered, "Can you make the guests of the bridegroom fast while he is with them? 35But the time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them; in those days they will fast."
6/1/10 10:36 AM
Joe Ray

Thanks for the responses.

From what I have ben reading the main health benefits to fasting are that it allows for detoxification and gives your body a rest from digesting food so that it can then devote its energies to healing itself.

I think it is OK to fast every once in a while. Doing it for 3 days a week every week is obviously going to be unhealthy for you.

What intrigues me about fasting is that apparently your dreams become more vivid, your imagination becomes more active and you start to become aware of your surroundings.

I don't intend to do much this weekend when I attempt to fast. I for one always need to a full stomach if I'm working or studying. I'll just read a few books and go for gentle walks.

I'l let you all know how I get on.
6/2/10 12:17 AM
martial_shadow
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

once you adapt to ketones, yes your neurological processes are sharper (except for learning in my experience) due to the more efficient delivery of energy.
6/2/10 3:12 AM
Juijitsuboxer
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe Ray - Thanks for the responses.

From what I have ben reading the main health benefits to fasting are that it allows for detoxification and gives your body a rest from digesting food so that it can then devote its energies to healing itself.

I think it is OK to fast every once in a while. Doing it for 3 days a week every week is obviously going to be unhealthy for you.

What intrigues me about fasting is that apparently your dreams become more vivid, your imagination becomes more active and you start to become aware of your surroundings.

I don't intend to do much this weekend when I attempt to fast. I for one always need to a full stomach if I'm working or studying. I'll just read a few books and go for gentle walks.

I'l let you all know how I get on.

I am no expert, but I would not fear bad health issues due to fasting. For example, for many years now my congregation does a 21 day fast. I have done 3 21 day fasts and 1 14 day fast. On these longer fasts I drink Water and Gatorade. I use the gatorade to replenish electrolights in my body and to bring in some sort of calories.

I have never had a medical issue due to fasting, you just need to be careful about re-introducing food into your system slowly over time.
6/2/10 11:34 AM
martial_shadow

a 21 day fast on water and gatorade? Please come to my lab, I have tests that I need to run.
6/2/10 11:56 AM
770mdm
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/7645857/Man-claims-to-have-had-no-food-or-drink-for-70-years.html

Speaking of tests check this cat out who claims to have not eaten in the last oh.. 70 or 80 years!

FYI, one brief intermission aside, Moses was on Sinai for 80 days no food or water.

6/3/10 5:38 AM
Juijitsuboxer

martial_shadow - a 21 day fast on water and gatorade? Please come to my lab, I have tests that I need to run.

You have seriously never heard of this? Dude there was a guy at my church who fasted 50 days that way.

My pastor does a 40 day fast this way every year. about 25 people in the congregation do the 21 day fast.

I thought it was common knowledge that fasting could go this long. There are tons of Christian books written on fasting, thousands, if not more, people fast this way.
6/3/10 8:54 AM
Juijitsuboxer

Just info on spiritual fasts, not meant for secular/health fasting:

http://www.amazon.com/Fasting-Opening-intimate-powerful-relationship/dp/1599792583/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275557872&sr=8-1
6/3/10 10:38 AM
martial_shadow

dude- in every physiology book ever written:

General rule on human survival: 3 minutes without air, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food.

Now, its not that simple- obviously. But for 90% of the HEALTHY adult population, 3 weeks without food would require hospitalization at the end. I saw a vid of this guy in Sweeden and they paid him to drink gatorade and lie in bed all day- in 10 days he was so wasted away discussion about continuing to 21 days was occuring- they didn't know if he could make it and still recover. You would either not be doing a true fast or be massively overweight to be able to function at the end of it.
6/3/10 10:21 PM
toelocku

that^

no one save a miracle of God can go that long without food. even 21 days, i def. call bullshit on the fourty days.

maybe if your really fat you could do 21...maybe.

16-18 hour 'fasting' is very good for your health, promotes positive hormone releases.

6/3/10 11:49 PM
martial_shadow

Jiujitsuboxer- seriously, in a 21 day period- all that is passing your lips is water and gatorade (and toothpaste)? When I was fasting 14-18hours a day, I was water and green tea and then a big meal at the end of the day. Seriously though- very few healthy human beings could fast 21 days on water and gatorade (unless they are having something like 3-5 bottles of gatorade/day). Your liver alone needs so much glycogen you'd end up destroying serious muscle bulk to keep it going. If I walk into a local Church and ask them about this- will they know what I'm talking about- because I could seriously do PHd on this (no I'm not joking- that's how insane this sounds to me).

MS
6/4/10 6:00 PM
Joe Ray

It has begun.

5 hours in. Last meal was a large sirloin steak and stir-fried vegetables.

I'll try and make it to Sunday at least, hopefully Monday morning.
6/15/10 11:55 PM
haggendas

The point of fasting from a religious perspective is not for one's health, but for self denial. Jesus said to the rich man to give away all his possessions and wealth and follow him. When Jesus fasted for 40 days and was tempted by the devil to turn the rocks into bread, he said that man does not live by bread alone, buy also by the word of God. Fasting allows one to deny his or herself and focus on God.

Fasting should also be accompanied by prayer.
6/17/10 1:21 AM
martial_shadow

so guys- what type of Church should I go to to talk to ppl about this? Catholic, Lutheran, Orthodox, Anglican?

If someone has come up with a way to use prayer/meditation to fast for 21 days- I have a PHd to write. I am 100% serious btw- I'm writing my master's thesis now.
6/17/10 3:27 AM
Juijitsuboxer

Write the pastor at this church, he does 40 to 45 day fasts every January. Also has a fasting schedule posted on the home page if you would like to fast and pray with him.

He fasts 1 day per week and 3 days straight once a month.

http://www.knoxvillechristiancenter.org/

http://knoxvillechristiancenter.org/about/fasting/

Fasting

GUIDELINES FOR A LONG FAST
(More than three days)
1. If you take medication or have health problems, check with your physician before beginning a fast of any length.
2. Cleanse your system before a long fast with prune juice, a mild natural laxative, or an enema.
3. Drink some juices or Gatorade to wean yourself off food for the first three days.
4. Drink distilled water with some juice or Gatorade if necessary. People with high metabolism may need some juice to keep blood sugar levels up. Avoid tomato, grapefruit, and other acidic juices.
5. Pray a miminum of one to three hours a day including Bible reading and meditation.
6. Come off fast with chicken noodle soup for first day or two. Then eat light, easily digested food such as: applesauce, frozen yogurt like Columbo, potato salad, and macaroni salad. Then move up to a plain baked potato, baked chicken breast, and light green salad with very light salad dressing. Gradually work up to heavy food over as long a period as you fasted. If you fasted 21 days, it should take you 21 days to get back to steak, pizza, and spicy foods. Try not to eat much between meals.
7. Fast and pray for : 1) Your family and personal needs. 2) Your church. 3) Your city, your nation. 4) And your world. Make a list of all the specific things you want God to do in each of these areas.
8. Come to the church for prayer every weekday at 6:00 PM. We will have prayer at 6:00 PM and the Miracle Services at 7:00 PM.
9. Types of Fasts:
1) Fast Food & Water (3 Days Maximum)
2) Fast Food but Drink Water
3) Fast Food but Drink Juices
4) Fast Special Food (Daniel 10:3 …no pleasant bread, neither flesh nor wine.)
6/17/10 3:32 AM
Juijitsuboxer

Here is a Fasting Sermon from the site:

http://knoxvillechristiancenter.org/wp-content/uploads/sermons/09-12-27(prayer-and-fasting).mp3
6/17/10 3:40 AM
Juijitsuboxer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkMoQZ1i4k8

Day 21 of 21 day juice fast
6/17/10 3:42 AM
Juijitsuboxer

http://curezone.com/blogs/f.asp?f=566

journal of my 30 day juice fast
6/17/10 1:08 PM
martial_shadow

Juijitsuboxer- Thank you! I am going to go through this stuff tonight and see if there is enough of a caloric deficiet to merit doing a PHd on how you manage to survive without hospitalization. I had no intention of continuing my education at school but this too good an opportunity to pass up if it works out. thank you!
6/19/10 6:31 AM
Dan O'Connell
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
6/20/10 1:19 PM
martial_shadow

Thank you for the links. I reviewed what they had in the video (and other similar videos) and read the reccomended Church text. From a medical point of view, this is not a fast. Many people doing this are still getting into caloric debt and are missing other reccomended macro and micro nutrients. The basic thing is, if you are consuming 500-800 calories from juiced fruits and veggies and gatorade (and in some cases, 1000kcals) then you simply are not fasting.

When I fast, the only things that pass my lips are water, green tea (which has 0 calories) and toothpaste (10-20 kcal if you don;t swallow the load, and burns 1-2 kcal to do it). Maybe if <100 calories of gatorade/juice was ingested one could make the arguement for fasting, but not at the quantities these people are talking about.

MS
6/20/10 1:53 PM
IBI
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/20/10 1:53 PM
martial_shadow -

When I fast, the only things that pass my lips are water, green tea (which has 0 calories) and toothpaste (10-20 kcal if you don;t swallow the load, and burns 1-2 kcal to do it).

I thought the Jewish fasts, like the Ramadan ones, involved not eating or drinking anything at all for the duration? 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.