UnderGround Forums

Kickboxing UnderGround >> Muy Chaiya - interesting alternative to MT

5/31/10 9:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lord Kancho
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5wJeR2mO1E&feature=channel

What do you guys think? Some interesting ideas, especially with the kicks (pt. 2).
6/1/10 7:40 AM
IronMonkey
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does the kick take considerably more time to master or is it less effective than a normal round kick? Just wondering why this kick didn't transitioned into modern Muay Thai.
6/1/10 9:37 AM
Khun Kao
1407 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/01/10 12:50 PM
It doesn't have the same potential for damage. Don't get me wrong, that type of kick hurts, but it doesn't hurt the same way a sport Muay Thai kick hurts.

You can easily see how many of the elements of Muay Thai Chaiya are still in use in sport Muay Thai. I disagree with some of their statements regarding the differences between the sport & Chaiya. For instance, they were saying that sport generates kicking power by stepping and rotating, but not leaning. This is NOT true! The lean is definitely taught, though its not as pronounced as Chaiya.

In my opinion, the reason this kick didn't transition to the sport is that when Muay Thai evolved into a genuine ring sport, the preparation/conditioning of the fighters changed. Muay Thai fighters are extremely well conditioned athletes, and that style of kicking requires the fighter commit more fully to the technique to do less damage.

ALSO... observe the range of attack. The Chaiya version of the kick is a short-medium range kick, whereas the sport version of the kick is medium-long range. So you're standing closer while commiting more fully to a technique to do less damage against a better conditioned professional athlete....

So yeah, you will rarely (if ever) see this used in the ring to any real success.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.