UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Made Some Wet Ribs Tonight (no pics)

6/1/10 1:24 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mullet @ Heart
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had 2 racks of babybacks that were about to expire, so I figured I'd toy around with them a bit.

First I rubbed them very lightly the night before. My rub is a little too spicy for a thin meat like ribs. Works wonders on pulled pork though.

I started my cook by smoking them for 1.5 hours with hickory and pecan.

Then I double-wrapped them in heavy duty aluminum foil and cooked them for an hour, spritzing with apple juice twice.

From there I rubbed them down with honey and cooked them for another hour.

After that I put the BBQ sauce on and cooked them without foil for another 30 minutes.

This was all done in the BGE at 250 degrees.

Probably my best ribs to-date, but not as good as they could have been (best eva). What would you have done differently?
6/1/10 6:04 AM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you finish them off over direct heat to caramelize the sauce?
6/1/10 3:22 PM
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds similar to what I do. I made 6 racks of baby backs this weekend and they were the best I've made so far.

Used a simple rub of salt, white sugar, brown sugar, garlic, paprika, and cayenne
  • Smoked in my WSM for 3 hrs using hickory chunks/ Kingsford
  • Sprayed w/ little aple juice/ apple cider vinegar. Sprinkled brown sugar and wrapped in foil. Back on for 2 hours
  • Sauced all racks then put them on direct heat for about 30-45 minutes
Done

What also helped IMO is I curled the racks meat side out and kept them in place with a wooden swewer. If I lay the ribs flat, the ends seem to burn from the heat coming up the sides of my WSM. They need to make a rectangular Weber Smokey Mtn.

OO7
6/2/10 6:09 AM
crescentwrench
252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

With the honey and BBQ there's a lot of sugar there to potentially burn, but the only other thing to try is maybe switch the 30 minute open cooking to a shorter time on a hotter fire to just char the outside a little?  If you like that kind of thing, which I do.  
6/2/10 4:58 PM
MichaelVronsky
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

seems like a long time for honey to cook?
6/3/10 12:19 AM
Mullet @ Heart

The honey didn't hurt at 250 wrapped in foil, but I'm not convinced it did any good either.
6/3/10 11:04 AM
MichaelVronsky

lol, at least it didnt hurt!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.